C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security codes, car will not start

Old 12-11-2012, 03:13 AM
Abnmarine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security codes, car will not start

Been reading a lot of posts for solutions of the ignition security. This is the first time it's happened. I've cleaned the key, electrical cleaner in the ignition, checked the fuses, ignition and BSM connections. Engine will not turn over. Security issues. Codes displayed are:

P1631
C1287
B2721
B2722
B2723

Key initially was hard to insert. Tried clearing the codes but the B codes instantly return. Battery is good. I've read about wiring a resistor to over ride the security. I've measures my key chip and its 4.69 ohms.

Tomorrow I will have my spare key cut (its a chipped blank now), if that doesn't help, looks like its the ignition.

It's frustrating since its currently parked in a parking lot.
Any other tips to get the car home?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Abnmarine
Instructor

Anyone?

Does it sound like I'm on track for correcting this? Does anyone have a picture of where the resistor can be wired in to bypass the security?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM
1999_TRC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Abnmarine
I've measures my key chip and its 4.69 ohms.
That is not possible, unless the pellet is shorted. Are you sure you are reading on the correct scale?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Abnmarine
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1999_TRC
That is not possible, unless the pellet is shorted. Are you sure you are reading on the correct scale?
I thought I was. I set my meter on ohms and placed a lead on each contact of the chip. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Abnmarine
Instructor

I just had my spare key cut. Locksmith tested both and they are good. They are #13 keys BTW. He recommends me to use a multimeter on the ignition wire for the resistor. If no continuity with the key in, then the ignition is bad. If continuity, it's elsewhere.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 PM
1999_TRC
Instructor

I just had my spare key cut. Locksmith tested both and they are good. They are #13 keys BTW. He recommends me to use a multimeter on the ignition wire for the resistor. If no continuity with the key in, then the ignition is bad. If continuity, it's elsewhere.
I just went through this a year ago. Your resistance measurement(or meter) are way off. First I thought you might have had it on the wrong scale, but now you know it could not be right(based on it being a #13 key), no matter where you move the decimal point. You need to measure resistance, NOT continuity. If the resistance reading is not between 7200-7820 ohms, then the lock cylinder is bad, NOT the ignition switch itself.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Abnmarine
Instructor

I just went through this a year ago. Your resistance measurement(or meter) are way off. First I thought you might have had it on the wrong scale, but now you know it could not be right(based on it being a #13 key), no matter where you move the decimal point. You need to measure resistance, NOT continuity. If the resistance reading is not between 7200-7820 ohms, then the lock cylinder is bad, NOT the ignition switch itself.
Okay, I just measured the key resister again. Measured 7.48 which would be 7480 ohms and within tolerance. I disconnected the resistor wires from the ignition, inserted the key with ignition on and also tried it off. No measurement provided. I feel confident the ignition switch is bad.

Does this sound correct?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 PM
1999_TRC
Instructor

Okay, I just measured the key resister again. Measured 7.48 which would be 7480 ohms and within tolerance. I disconnected the resistor wires from the ignition, inserted the key with ignition on and also tried it off. No measurement provided. I feel confident the ignition switch is bad.

Does this sound correct?
No, as I already stated in my previous post, that points to the lock cylinder NOT the ignition switch.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Abnmarine
Instructor

No, as I already stated in my previous post, that points to the lock cylinder NOT the ignition switch.
Lock mechanism is what I meant. I just bought some resistors and I'm gonna give that a try. I should have an answer in an hour.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Abnmarine
Instructor

After wiring the resistors in series they measured 7400. I installed it and the car started. I'm stoked!

I avoid dealerships but they wanted over $800 and its now fixed with $5. This forum was a huge help.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

After wiring the resistors in series they measured 7400. I installed it and the car started. I'm stoked!

I avoid dealerships but they wanted over $800 and its now fixed with $5. This forum was a huge help.
Its a great day when we can cheat the dealership out of a visit.

Get notified of new replies

To Security codes, car will not start

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Security codes, car will not start