C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service column lock & pull key and wait 10 seconds

Old 12-15-2012, 02:08 PM
canada9
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service column lock & pull key and wait 10 seconds

i have a 2002 6 speed with 27,000 and changed battery and now have these problems along with not running more than 2 mph. Dealer wants to put new steering column lock and assembles in at $800.00. Can the dealer fix this problem or is it best to go the LCM-5 Route?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Canada9, I can only tell you what I have done.. GM wanted $600 for the latest lockplate upgrade. I decided to go the $45 dollar route and get the LMC5 module, it fixed my problem of steering wheel lock. Your year may need the LMC5R module but either way it should fix your LOCKED column. Good luck, look for other post about this problem, it's a major pain in the a$$ for sure. But this site has great guys for helping you out with the problem as far as advise.. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Three questions.

1. Is it the right battery?
2. Is the battery tested to be fully up to specs?
3. Have you tried another battery?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a search. Very common problem. It's the top sticky in this forum.

I installed a Column Lock Bypass module for this issue. GM had already physically removed my column lock, recall I think.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Ditch the STEALERSHIP! They can NOT fully fix your issue! You need to do the following:

- Make SURE that your battery is fully charged!
- Make sure that the battery cables are clean and properly torqued on to the battery (11 ft/lbs torque!)
- Pull up the DTCs and CLEAR ALL the displayed DTCs Especially the ones in the BCM. Post ANY that return... Even if they are just history DTCs
- Order and install the correct LMC5 module!

What voltage does your IPC analog and digital Volt Meter display Ignition On engine OFF and Ignition On Engine On??

Please post the voltage readings that are displayed.

BC
Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2002 6 speed coupe, installed the LMC5 and LMC5R very easy and Richard from compliance is very helpful. However, I still get the pull key message. I wait 10 sec and it works. New battery, I put a new neg battery cable in. Battery is 12.5 static. I want to put it back to stock and install the CLB. I want to know why I continue to get the pull key message and who in Maryland/Virginia can tune my car? Thanks.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you have accomplished all those steps to eliminate the issue,, the only thing that you have left is the BCM its self.

Try this.. Remove the neg cable from battery, disconnect and remove the BCM. Open the metal box and examine the circuit board (top and bottom) for corrosion and circuit trace damage.

Other than that,, you can install a new BCM.

BC
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 PM
thmehr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was driving home my new 2000 vert a few months ago. I stopped at a gas station for lunch at a small town in South Dakota. When I tried to leave, I my car would shut off. I still could turn the wheel, but I would start the car, drive a few feet and engine would turn off. After three attempts, I noticed the "Pull the key out and wait 10 seconds" message. I did that and I never had the problem again.

Why did this happen? What can I do to fix the issue so it does come back again?
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To service column lock & pull key and wait 10 seconds

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: service column lock & pull key and wait 10 seconds