C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long will the radio run with the car sitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 12:41 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Default How long will the radio run with the car sitting

Thought I would ask this question before things go bad. I don't trust the car.

Planning on going to a drive in double feature Sat. night with a Corvette club, and the place runs the sound through the car radio. How long do you think I can run the radio without the car electronics freaking out.

Do you think I could watch the volt meter and cut the radio off when it goes below a certain voltage? What is the critical level, I certainly don't know.

It's double feature deal, so about three hours of play, I am guessing. I don't want a problem at the end with a locked up steering column or some other problem in the middle of the night way far away from home.

I plan on rolling the dice and using the car radio through the picture, just don't want any non start risk

Thanks if you can help.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,356 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Probably how the place get the sound to your cars radio is by low power transmitting the sound on a locally unused radio frequency.

If it were me I'd find a way to verify that and then get a portable battery powered radio and use that instead of the cars sound system.

I suspect that at the end of 3 hours you are going to be calling a tow truck as the battery is likely to be dead if you try to use the vehicles sound system. Besides the car radio and amplifiers drawing current the BCM and PCM and probably other vehicle electrical/electronics will also draw some current. If you have any aftermarket accessories that come on with the ignition they also will draw. If the car is warm when you get there and the cooling fans are running, they will continue to run with the key on until the temp drops sufficiently. The fuel pump will initially bring pressure up but will shut off as long as the fuel system can hold the pressure..... To many possible complications for me to leave the key on for 3 hours.

I would not chance things being happy after 3 or so hours with the key in the on position..... JMHO. YMMV

It's not funny at all, but I see the potential for a LOT of Corvettes with dead batteries, if they use their radios for 3 hours....
Old 08-17-2013, 10:45 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

thanks for the help
I would have really killed a fun evening through ignorance.

The Flyer for the event expects 200 Corvettes, so I was going to ask around. I had only been to drive in's long ago and they were using a clip to the antenna, the latest thing going.
I guess I"ll be bringing my trusty walkman, the movie site mentions you can bring a radio, so you must be correct about the radio narrowcast.

Thanks again. I really didn't want to feed the gremlins on a Saturday night.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I agree with 8VETTE7. Use a portable radio unless you plan to bring a fully charged spare car battery to drive home.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:08 PM
kabluie
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Bring a pair of jumper cables so that you can be the hero. There probably will be at least one corvette that will need a jump after the movie.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:37 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,356 Likes on 1,105 Posts

OK, it's now Sunday....I wonder how the cruise to the drive-in went??
Old 08-18-2013, 02:50 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,202 Likes on 706 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I know if you sit in there after you shut the car off the radio goes off after about 10 minutes....not sure how long it would go before the battery died though
Old 08-18-2013, 06:46 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I once had an aftermarket stereo on (2 amps with subwoofers) for 4 hours on an autozone battery and started the car just fine afterwards.

If your battery is in good shape, 3 hours shouldn't drain it.

If it were me, I would bring an extra battery just in case, but I think 3 hours of radio would be fine.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:45 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 847 Likes on 723 Posts

Geeze, there is a accessory position on the ignition that does not power all the other electronics. Pretty much powers enough the windows and radio work. Things like the PCM and BCM are not powered. You can run for hours on it without killing the battery.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:17 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Man, it seemed like a good idea until I looked at all that driving . A drive in in the L.A. area has got to be out there where the area is available. I went to the beach instead.
It was overcast, so I could get parking.

Thanks for the help. Still don't have a consensus , but it is the web after all. The speakers don't look too power hungry.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I'd say a couple of hours with no problem. Just turn key to first accessory position.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

GMRAP is around 10 minutes.

Get notified of new replies

To How long will the radio run with the car sitting

Quick Reply: How long will the radio run with the car sitting