C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD Install -- DIY Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

I know nothing of calibrating the speedometer readout. That sounds like something better left to a GM certified corvette technician.

If you retro-fitted the HUD to your pre-99 cluster, I would suggest going back and verifying:
1 - that the soldering is clean and there are no unintended shorts/grounds between them.
2 - that all wires are correct to the diagram
3 - that all wiring pins between Cluster and Hud are straight and effective connections (i.e. - no bent pin innards of the pins)
Old 04-16-2016, 05:53 AM
digikorrie
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,

My wires are original GM Corvette because i used them from my complete usa speedo cluster
Soldering of the hud connector on the motherboard ( my eu board ) is done properly.

But i think i figured out what is the problem if i use my eu 300 kmph speedo gauge together withe the usa 200 mph motherboard.

I think it is the speedpulse sensor because the usa speed sensor it sends 4000 cylus each mile to the pcm so if it sends 40.000 cylus on the mile the speedo needle shows 10 mph on the 200 mph speedo gauge
The speed sensor cycle is stored en controled by the pcm.

But i use my 300 kmph gauge and have a euro pcm and i do not know how much cyle is uses
This is ofcourse also stored in the pcm
And i heard i can change te value of this using thec2 or VCM suite

Regards
Korrie

Originally Posted by Tusc
I know nothing of calibrating the speedometer readout. That sounds like something better left to a GM certified corvette technician.

If you retro-fitted the HUD to your pre-99 cluster, I would suggest going back and verifying:
1 - that the soldering is clean and there are no unintended shorts/grounds between them.
2 - that all wires are correct to the diagram
3 - that all wiring pins between Cluster and Hud are straight and effective connections (i.e. - no bent pin innards of the pins)
Old 04-17-2016, 11:30 AM
digikorrie
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again,

Today i tried to solve the problems again.
This is what i did today
I instald my complete euro cluster and pluged the hud in.

What happend is this: when i turn on to ignition the hud shows everyting it must this is the regular check.
After the regular check is shows for about 3 seconds the speed ofcourse this displayed 0 then it shows for about 3 seconds rpm line and oil line and then it goes back to speed for 3 seconds and then back to rpm and oil line this is going on for abaout 5 times and then at last it only shows speed

Who knows the solution so it shows other gauges also whwn i use the page switch for the hud

Of course i checkd al the wires and connections

Regards
Korrie

Originally Posted by digikorrie
Hello speed750,

Ik think you did not read the whole tread
Because i already have a hud set
But that is a usa set and i want to keep my 300 kmph gauge instead of the 200 mph gauge
And then the problem comes
So my question was is it possible to re-calibrate the speedo

Sorry for my poor school english writing but a am sure you can not do dutch

I heard the calibrating must be done by the pcm

Regards
Korrie
Amsterdam Netherlands
Old 04-17-2016, 08:55 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

An interesting issue. I wonder if a Vette Tech (Euro) would have an answer for you about the pulse cycle.

I also wish there were a proper compendium of what you can achieve with a Tech2. I bought mine to eliminate the F45 suspension programming and to be able to cycle the ABS / brake fluid. I know (or suspect) there are many other options, but there is no list of them and no directions explaining what to click to achieve a result.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:32 PM
ianmcgee67179
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I may have just missed it in the thread, but I wanted to ask if you didn't have the 8 pin connection at the top of the cluster (aka not HUD ready) did you have to do anything for the 11 pin connection for the HUD switch or was the 11 pin connection already set up? I have a 99 and I am assuming I will have to do the same thing as you gentlemen have. Also this may be a dumb question but is the 8 pin connection the main connection that goes to the HUD projector? Great write up by the way, and good pictures.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ianmcgee67179
I may have just missed it in the thread, but I wanted to ask if you didn't have the 8 pin connection at the top of the cluster (aka not HUD ready) did you have to do anything for the 11 pin connection for the HUD switch or was the 11 pin connection already set up? I have a 99 and I am assuming I will have to do the same thing as you gentlemen have. Also this may be a dumb question but is the 8 pin connection the main connection that goes to the HUD projector? Great write up by the way, and good pictures.
For me, I made the 11 pin piece from scratch. However, it can be bought as a used part from a junker and maybe it can even be ordered.

The 8 pin on the back of the cluster is the main data feed from the gauges to the projector. Extra points if you find a way to do it as a 90 degree install. Lol. Mine was at a softer angle, but worked fine.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:49 AM
ianmcgee67179
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tusc
For me, I made the 11 pin piece from scratch. However, it can be bought as a used part from a junker and maybe it can even be ordered.

The 8 pin on the back of the cluster is the main data feed from the gauges to the projector. Extra points if you find a way to do it as a 90 degree install. Lol. Mine was at a softer angle, but worked fine.

oh ok! So the 11 pin connection was already on the back of you cluster, you didn't have to solder that one as well did you? You just made the "wiring harness" for it, after getting the 11pin female ends from radio shack or somewhere?

cool challenge excepted, I'll have to try and make it 90 degrees! Haha
Old 05-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ianmcgee67179
oh ok! So the 11 pin connection was already on the back of you cluster, you didn't have to solder that one as well did you? You just made the "wiring harness" for it, after getting the 11pin female ends from radio shack or somewhere?

cool challenge excepted, I'll have to try and make it 90 degrees! Haha
Correct. The location for the hud bezel to plug into the cluster was already there. I only made the wiring harness.
​​​​​
Old 06-30-2017, 09:44 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Odometer module

Anybody know where the odometer module is? I want to take it out of my non HUD cluster and install it in my way nicer Z06 HUD cluster.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MrGary2011
Anybody know where the odometer module is? I want to take it out of my non HUD cluster and install it in my way nicer Z06 HUD cluster.
You know, I found a thread which was recent where someone identified the specific chip with desolder and then resolder to the board to swap odometer between clusters. It's on here somewhere.

Search for: gauge cluster u13 atmel

​​
Old 12-19-2018, 09:51 PM
J. Chris Davis
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I know this is a year and a half old thread, but I have a 98 and did the HUD upgrade. My gauge cluster has the solder points for the connector to the HUD projector. The problem I have is that even though the dimmer slider, up/down buttons work along with the MPH showing on the display that the page button will not do anything. I have tried two switches and talked to another member here with the same year and issue and found out I do in fact need the 99 on up gauge cluster. I will have to find someone local to adjust my mileage to match my car and then I will just be using the circuit board out of the new cluster and putting it in mine.

Last edited by J. Chris Davis; 12-20-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:19 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Chris Davis
...I have a 98 and did the HUD upgrade. My gauge cluster has the solder points for the connector to the HUD projector. The problem I have is that even though the dimmer slider, up/down buttons work along with the MPH showing on the display that the page button will not do anything...
You may want to contact forum member K-Spaz. He did the same to his 98 and reported complete success in Post 2 of this Thread.

Last edited by GCG; 12-21-2018 at 02:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tusc (01-31-2021)
Old 12-21-2018, 02:32 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

...I will have to find someone local to adjust my mileage to match my car and then I will just be using the circuit board out of the new cluster and putting it in mine.
Take a look at this Post for another idea.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:18 PM
J. Chris Davis
Instructor

K-Spaz is who I was in contact with and said he had the same problem as me and ended up getting a 99+ HUD gauge cluster. I will have to bookmark that link and think about maybe doing that. Thank you for posting it.

Last edited by J. Chris Davis; 12-21-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:39 PM
J. Chris Davis
Instructor

Got the 99 on up gauge cluster today and that fixed the problem of it not paging through the viewable options. So it looks like the 98 gauges are not completely set up to work.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:41 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by GCG
Take a look at this Post for another idea.
Oh that's cool. I wish I had known that back when I did mine. Not that my mileage was off by that far it was about 1,500 miles but I'm **** like that. LOL
Got the 99 on up gauge cluster today and that fixed the problem of it not paging through the viewable options. So it looks like the 98 gauges are not completely set up to work.
Yeah I'm told that somewhere during 98 they updated the Clusters and from that point forward they would work with the HUD. Obviously you and I both had earlier ones with the unfinished firmware for driving that display. I'm glad Brian got you hooked up with a new cluster that's got it all working. You're going to love the HUD. I can't believe how many people say they don't use it or don't like it. For me it was an absolute must. I really wish my 427 had the same HUD as my C5 had. The C6 HUD sucks by comparison.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:43 PM
J. Chris Davis
Instructor

Mine was one of the last built in 98. June of 98. Thanks for the direct to Brian. He was very helpful and got me a cluster right away. It's something I've been wanting since I catch myself looking out the window and not at the speedometer then find out I'm speeding.

Last edited by J. Chris Davis; 12-29-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To HUD Install -- DIY Master Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 12:55 AM
VETTLIFE
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
Oh that's cool. I wish I had known that back when I did mine. Not that my mileage was off by that far it was about 1,500 miles but I'm **** like that. LOL

Yeah I'm told that somewhere during 98 they updated the Clusters and from that point forward they would work with the HUD. Obviously you and I both had earlier ones with the unfinished firmware for driving that display. I'm glad Brian got you hooked up with a new cluster that's got it all working. You're going to love the HUD. I can't believe how many people say they don't use it or don't like it. For me it was an absolute must. I really wish my 427 had the same HUD as my C5 had. The C6 HUD sucks by comparison.
I have a 98 and was planning on doing this mod, funny because up until now this is the first I've heard of certain 98 and earlier clusters not supporting the page functions.

How would someone find out theirs doesn't work? and doesn't the odometer give you problems swapping the clusters out?
Old 12-31-2018, 09:47 AM
J. Chris Davis
Instructor

I do not know how you would know, but since mine is a really late model 98 that my opinion is none of the 98 gauges are properly going to work. I have not seen anyone that truly had success with a 98 cluster. The OP here had a 99 and K-Spaz ended up running into the exact same problem as me. As for the odometer, yes you will need to have it reprogrammed to match. That part is not plug and play it is only stored in the gauge cluster main circuit board. GCG in post 33 posted a link for someone that had previously changed out the odometer chip from board to board.
The following users liked this post:
VETTLIFE (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 09:10 PM
VETTLIFE
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I found this link on replacing the odometer IC on the cluster motherboard here. I'm wondering if there's a way to enable the page functions with a Tech2 instead. Seems the only solution is to swap out the 98 motherboard with the 99+ motherboard (making sure the new motherboards speedo unit's match the cluster) and swap over the odo IC to correct the mileage afterwards.

Last edited by VETTLIFE; 01-01-2019 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: HUD Install -- DIY Master Thread