C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service steering column

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:25 PM
theDudeabides
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service steering column

I'm exasperated. The last few days everytime I start my my 2000 C5 I get the "remove key wait 10 seconds". Then the "service steering column", then no can drive. A few times if I wait awhile and hit the key fob lock, unlock, lock, unlock and start the car I'm good to go. This vehicle according to Chevy had the steering column recall done in 2004. The steering column is not locked when I get the message, Chevy dealer says the lock is thrown but the "gear lock size" has been changed so it isn't locked. So apparently the computer thinks it's locked and shuts off the gas at 2 miles per hour. Chevy dealer says it's a $400.00 to $500.00 dollar fix not sure and won't know unless they hook it up to a machine then they'll know better and the machine charge is $100.00. HELP what should I do? Also I've read posts on here about this issue but don't quite understand how to apply that to my particular problem.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Clear your codes in the DIC then check your battery voltage level, should be 13.2v fully charged if not charge the battery and check it again.
99.9% of column lock issues are caused by low battery voltage.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:33 PM
tacman
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

See the "sticky" at the top of this Forum page. Should answer your questions.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ky-please.html
Old 03-02-2014, 03:33 PM
theDudeabides
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I agree that the battery being low or the battery connections being loose or corroded can cause the column lock symptoms.

Suggest that you purchase and install an LMC5 to get around the problem. DO NOT let the dealer touch the car. GM has NEVER EVER had a permanent solution to this problem and has walked away form even trying to provide C5 owners with one.

A CLB or LMC5 will correct the issue permanently and is something you can install yourself.
I don't know what an LMC5 or a CLB is ? Which is best and what do those initials stand for ?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought the LMC5

http://www.complianceparts.com/
Old 03-04-2014, 09:41 PM
theDudeabides
Heel & Toe

Default Yes to the LMC5

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
Yeah, I bought one the other day, hoping I get it tomorrow. I can't wait to see if this works.

thanks
Old 03-05-2014, 08:00 AM
johnnyzvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will work, i had the same problem with my car last year, installed the lmc5 and got it running again! Just follow the directions carefully.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:21 PM
theDudeabides
Heel & Toe

Default Eureka

Originally Posted by johnnyzvette
It will work, i had the same problem with my car last year, installed the lmc5 and got it running again! Just follow the directions carefully.
I GOT THE LMC5 TODAY AND IT WORKS !!! You do have to follow the directions carefully but Richard is great if you have any questions. The dealer had done whatever he did and stuffed the modified column lock relay up under the dash. It took some pinched and scratched fingers to dig it out.
Thanks to everyone on the forum and kudos to Richard at Compliance Parts, he knows his sh t.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:53 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick question, I bought a 2002, 80k miles LS1 and the steering wheel has no lock, I can turn it freely. Does this mean that a previous owner has already done the repair?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5
Quick question, I bought a 2002, 80k miles LS1 and the steering wheel has no lock, I can turn it freely. Does this mean that a previous owner has already done the repair?

Thanks!
Just because the lock is removed, you can still have an electric glitch that will put the computer into safe mode that shuts off the fuel pump. Have a tuner reset the shut off MPH, dealers will not do it, they'd rather charge you for something that will fail again.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by theDudeabides
I GOT THE LMC5 TODAY AND IT WORKS !!! You do have to follow the directions carefully but Richard is great if you have any questions. The dealer had done whatever he did and stuffed the modified column lock relay up under the dash. It took some pinched and scratched fingers to dig it out.
Thanks to everyone on the forum and kudos to Richard at Compliance Parts, he knows his sh t.
Rich is awesome. And the LMC5 is a great product.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 AM
theDudeabides
Heel & Toe

Default freaking column lock

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Rich is awesome. And the LMC5 is a great product.
what 8VETTE7 said https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ies/iagree.gif

Get notified of new replies

To Service steering column

Quick Reply: Service steering column