C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 05:10 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements?

I was getting some Loctite for the caliper bolts you take out when you do a brake job. I was buying the Red and the local NAPA guy told me the red is only designed to release with heat application and the blue is hard but can be "wrenched" Anybody have any more info? Also where can I find replacement bolts? These are the ones that take a 15mm wrench.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2002, 06:12 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements? (Richin Chicago)

I'm thinking red, when I changed out my rotors and pads I noticed RED rings where the factory place Loctite. That's what I used.

As far as barke hardware is concerned I'd contact Ken Fichtner's parts guru Bob for assistance.

Tom
USAF Retired
Old 07-26-2002, 06:34 PM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements? (Richin Chicago)

Red is pretty much forever, be careful.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:48 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Buy the red, you dont want those little bolts falling off your expensive car. :nono:

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 07-26-2002, 06:53 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What color Loctite on Cal bolts and where can I get replacements? (Richin Chicago)

Rich:

Red works fine, but use only a single drop and leave the first 2 or 3 threads clean so they can get started. I picked up some extra bolts at my friendly Chevy Dealer. :cool:
Old 07-27-2002, 01:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

If you buy the GM pads the bolts come with the pads along with a new set of springs. One of the reasons there is a price difference between the OEM and some aftermarket parts.
Bill
Old 07-27-2002, 08:52 AM
Jochen
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the blue one and torqued the specs. After changing again i had problems getting the bolts loose.

The factory ones you can get online at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

Jochen

Old 07-27-2002, 10:22 AM
M396 #00-011
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the blue last night, TQ'ed to 130ft-lbs. Factory red was on the threads, but I didn't feel like being a monkey hanging from the breaker bar to bust them loose the next time. We'll see later how easy they come off!
Old 07-27-2002, 03:31 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements? (Jochen)

I used the blue one and torqued the specs. After changing again i had problems getting the bolts loose.

The factory ones you can get online at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
Jochen,

Any idea what the part number is for the bolt?

Thanks,

Rich
Old 07-27-2002, 03:44 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

I wouldn't use the Red as it is fairly permanent unless you have a heatgun handy. I always use Blue as it is service removeable.....don't think the Red is.

Old 07-27-2002, 04:39 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements? (PewterC5)

I wouldn't use the Red as it is fairly permanent unless you have a heatgun handy. I always use Blue as it is service removeable.....don't think the Red is.
Same car.... same thought process!!!!! ;) ;) ;)
Old 07-27-2002, 04:45 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The part No is 14067559. You need 8 for a complete brake job.

Jochen
Old 07-27-2002, 05:46 PM
Fang S-289
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What color Loctite on Cal bolts and where can I get replacements? (Jim 47)

Rich:

Red works fine, but use only a single drop and leave the first 2 or 3 threads clean so they can get started. I picked up some extra bolts at my friendly Chevy Dealer. :cool:
I concur!
Old 07-27-2002, 05:50 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements? (Jochen)

The part No is 14067559. You need 8 for a complete brake job.

Jochen
Thanks for the part # ,,,,,
I ordered 64 of them from http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
My buddy needed some also.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:59 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

As someone already mentioned, red is considered permanent and requires that you heat the bolt with a heatgun before attempting removal. (I believe red is Loctite part #262 or 292)

Blue threadlocker is designed to provide "medium" locking for screws 1/4-inch in diameter or larger. 242 is the Loctite number (numbers following the first three part numbers indicate the size of bottle.).

222 Loctite (removable) is for screws smaller than 1/4-inch.

Remember that if the stock bolts were not coated at the factory, then their torque spec. will be higher than for bolts that are coated with Loctite prior to assembly. I have a book at work that lists torque "factors" for various bolt "conditions"; unfortunately, I'm not at work right now. Loctite tech reps should be able to expound on this info as well.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:19 AM
MRWHOOPPEE
Safety Car

Default Re: What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements? (Dave68)

never used Loctite or replaced the bolts.

It's not needed. It's just a liability deal for GM
Old 07-29-2002, 12:59 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Re: What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements? (MRWHOOPPEE)

In an ideal world, no locking devices should ever be needed. However, years of driving on East coast roads will rattle many a bolt loose. When I lived in CT, I had to Loctite as much hardware as I could get my hands on in my 68 vert. When a bolt or nut loosened, I wouldn't tighten it without first applying a drop of that good ol threadlocker. Another benefit is its ability to prevent galling and seizing from rust.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:41 AM
rhawki
Advanced

Default Re: What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements? (PewterC5)

Exactly right... Red is meant for heavy duty applications that won't be taken apart often. Blue is perfect for the caliper bolts, as it will definatly hold, but won't require Vin Diesel and a breaker bar to get apart next time... :smash:

-Rich

[Modified by rhawki, 12:43 AM 7/29/2002]
Old 08-02-2002, 11:58 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements? (rhawki)

FWIW, the Corvette tech at my dealership uses Blue.

Get notified of new replies

To What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements?

Quick Reply: What color Loctite on Caliper bolts and where can I get replacements?