C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small area in seat - seam came apart

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Small area in seat - seam came apart

I just got a C5 and there is a small area on the driver's seat side bolster where the seam has come apart. Looks like this area had been stressed over the years from someone getting in and out.

Is it possible to have this stitched without having to remove the whole seat and taking the cover off? Take it to an upholstery shop and see if they can fix it on the fly?
Old 09-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Hanlon's Law
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same damage on my seat and since I know I'd just cause it to happen again if I got the seat repaired, I just bought some bolster covers from covettemods so it still looks good. I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but does present an alternative solution.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:37 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Same thing here when i got mine except the leather tore away from the stitching...got some heavy nylon material thread, a pack of assorted upholstery needles and sewed it up myself..
It will do until I get around to changing out the covers.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:55 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Same thing here when i got mine except the leather tore away from the stitching...got some heavy nylon material thread, a pack of assorted upholstery needles and sewed it up myself..
It will do until I get around to changing out the covers.

Here is what I'm looking at:
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Go to the auto parts store and buy a tube of VLP. Use it to fill the area that is torn, let it dry, then take some black vinyl spray, spray some into the lid, and use a small brush to color the VLP black. It will not be perfect but it will last a long time. I did the same thing to my 2002 Z06 in the same place.

Get notified of new replies

To Small area in seat - seam came apart

Quick Reply: Small area in seat - seam came apart