C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird parking brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:59 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts
Default Weird parking brake issue

The guy who sold me my Z told me not to use the e-brake. That and a missing cup holder cover is about all I could find wrong last year. Not worth losing on a good car.
So the issue... if you pull it the alarm goes off. For 99% of my parking I never use it anyway, but it's something I'd like to eventually fix.
Does anybody know in what way a parking brake is tied into the security system!?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:19 AM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Short answer - Its not

Factory alarm or aftermarket?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:00 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Previous owner had one aftermarket FOB only. I went down to an alarm shop, they knew the car and previous owner (small town, he had a collection of nice cars & bikes). The installer there looked it over and said it was just an aftermarket FOB for the factory alarm.
So I ditched the aftermarket FOB, got 2 factory units. No change to the problem. Pull that brake and she goes nuts. Even if it were an aftermarket, why would anyone attach their parking brake to the security system!?
Thoughts as to what could cause this? I am no electrical expert, but could probably fix this if I knew what to look for...
Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I would guess someone tapped into the parking brake switch for power or ground. The switch is blue and attached to the handle assembly. If you pull the passenger seat and check the wiring there, could be something they added.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:47 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Tapping into the parking brake switch for power or ground makes sense.
So you think there might be an aftermarket alarm under the passenger seat? Pretty darn sure the entire stereo system is stock, so no amps.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by grantv
Tapping into the parking brake switch for power or ground makes sense.
So you think there might be an aftermarket alarm under the passenger seat? Pretty darn sure the entire stereo system is stock, so no amps.
They may have hooked something up. It could also be a wiring issue with the car and maybe some wires got crossed or modified at an earlier point in its life. If it happens when the ebrake handle is pulled first thing I would be looking at is that switch and the wiring to it. There is something wrong with that.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:44 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

You have to pull the seat and the rear section of the console to get to the parking brake assembly behind the carpet. The switch and wiring will be accessible then. There is a thread going right now about servicing the parking brakes and all that process is outlined there.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:26 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

When you say the alarm goes nuts.... horn or siren?

From the park brake switch there is only one wire, a small light brown one. If you pull back the carpet the 'leather' boot is velcroed to it. Pulling that boot up should let you see whats up.

A connection to this circuit may not necessarily be there tho....

If you're up for a Calgary road trip I could sort this out for you
Old 03-25-2015, 01:00 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Assuming horn, no "alarm" separate from the horn is there? Only happened once; not in a super rush to get that embarrassed in my 'hood again (was a pain to turn off the "alarm"/horn).
Thanks very much for all the tips guys. LMC5 next, then fix this issue.
And KOZ, very cool offer! Pretty tough to drive 8 hours each way away from the family, fixer house, side biz... you know, life.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:56 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KOZ
When you say the alarm goes nuts.... horn or siren?

From the park brake switch there is only one wire, a small light brown one. If you pull back the carpet the 'leather' boot is velcroed to it. Pulling that boot up should let you see whats up.

A connection to this circuit may not necessarily be there tho....

If you're up for a Calgary road trip I could sort this out for you
So, after a wee bit of time I have finally got around to looking into this. Somebody previous spliced a white wire into the light brown wire coming from the parking brake.
If I set the brake my alarm goes on. Is it safe to assume the only purpose of the brown wire is to signal that the brake is engaged? And if so, why when spliced into would it set off the alarm?
I guess the only way to find out is to unhook the white wire and see what loses power. The PO installed a high end radar jammer/detector... but I think the only thing that could cause the alarm is if it is the alarm that got tapped in yes?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:23 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Cut it and see what stops working... as long as you're sure that it isn't a factory wire. Follow it up and see what it leads to, doesn't look OEM to me.

The only thing I can come up with that connects to the parking brake is a standard transmission remote starter. Or an aftermarket head unit with video.

If you can post a pic of the old FOB and have a look under the dash on the drivers side to see whats there.

Last edited by KOZ; 01-31-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:35 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KOZ
Cut it and see what stops working... as long as you're sure that it isn't a factory wire. Follow it up and see what it leads to, doesn't look OEM to me.

The only thing I can come up with that connects to the parking brake is a standard transmission remote starter. Or an aftermarket head unit with video.

If you can post a pic of the old FOB and have a look under the dash on the drivers side to see whats there.
It's definitely not factory. It travels forward to behind the ignition switch

area, I haven't been able to trace it further.
I'm going to unhook it and see what I lose. (FOB that came with car)

Last edited by grantv; 01-31-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:42 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

And a picture under the drivers area...

Old 01-31-2016, 09:47 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Yupp... that's a Compustar remote starter. Obviously with installation issues.

You can try to fix it or strip it. My Calgary offer is always open, it's almost spring here was 13 degrees the other day
Old 02-01-2016, 12:04 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KOZ
Yupp... that's a Compustar remote starter. Obviously with installation issues.

You can try to fix it or strip it. My Calgary offer is always open, it's almost spring here was 13 degrees the other day
Your offer is crazy cool, I simply don't have that much time on my hands.
I'm not sure, but assuming cutting off the white wire should be sufficient yes? Shouldn't have to strip it any further? Really appreciate the offer and advice!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:43 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

The white wire is a trigger wire. I'd clip it and also hunt for the power wire and disconnect it as well. If you google for the alarm brand you might get lucky and find an installation guide or wiring diagram.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

IF,,, You have a functioning remote starter, the REMOTE STARTER most likely requires an input for a parking brake SET so the system can allow the remote to start the engine. If that is true, you should be able to just remove it from the parking brake wire and GROUND it to retain the remote starter function.

Its very weird for the hand brake to cause the OEM alarm to alert function.

The BCM monitors certain functions when its in the SLEEP/SECURITY Mode. If you are not in the sleep mode, it should NEVER alarm.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird parking brake issue

Old 02-01-2016, 06:05 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

I would highly advise not to just ground that wire. With that done your remote starter could attempt to start the car while it is in gear. That would be bad....

If the problem goes away after you cut that wire that's going to be on of the weirdest issues I've ever encountered. There's nothing I know of that connects the parking brake circuit to the OEM alarm.

Last edited by KOZ; 02-01-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:24 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

You guys are freaking me out.
I should state that I do not use or intend to use the remote starter if that's what this wire is feeding. I bought and programmed 2 factory FOB's when I bought the car, and put that Compustar FOB on my "came with the car" shelf.
The FOB's I use lock and unlock everything as they should. I have a feeling there is an aftermarket alarm in the car also, that is simply currently not being used now that I have factory FOB's.
The alarm sounds with the parking brake applied regardless of using the Compustar remote or the "new" ones though...
The PO told me of the problem, I had hoped getting 2 factory FOB's would eliminate this issue (along with having factory FOB's and having 2 instead of 1).
Old 02-01-2016, 08:35 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

No need to freak out. lol

Just cut the wire and see what happens.

If you can drop the cover panel under the dash and got a shot of whats there. Not alot of room to hide anything under there so the aftermarket stuff should stand out.

Quick Reply: Weird parking brake issue