C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A weird thing happend

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:12 AM
mpryan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A weird thing happend

So last weekend I installed a new clutch in my 97. Driving the car home I'm like wow! This new clutch really woke the car up. It's lighter than the stock one I replaced. I could not believe the difference in how fast the car accelerated. I did notice the idle was off and at first would die at a stop light. I kinda expected this as sometimes when you put a lightened flywheel/clutch in this might happen until the computer re learns the idle. So a few days later I'm looking under the hood and notice the tube between the throttle body and the air bridge had become disconnected when I dropped the rear out of the car and the engine tilted down in the back. I hooked it back up and went for a test drive. It felt good but nothing like when I drove it home.
So i was really surprised it ran at all and dident throw any codes. How come it ran so much better with the mass air bypassed?
Thanks for your help
Mike

Last edited by mpryan; 05-10-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:16 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Not as helpful without the specifics on what you installed.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:37 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

if the air bridge was disconnected then the MAF wouldn't have any air moving through it. Since that didn't throw a code (p1516, which would put it into limp mode), it likely determined the MAF failed and used the VE table for determining the correct amount of fuel to add. Since the factory config is all about maintaining stoich (14.6), with the extra airflow you achieved without the air filter and MAF you were a little lean. At WOT you would have been lean as well, but again the factory tune is on the safe side so a little lean will actually give you more power. Thus, with your increased airflow and more performance friendly AFR is where your new found power likely came from. However, I would have thought your check engine light would have been on.

That's my thoughts, perhaps someone with a little more tuning experience can chime in.

Get notified of new replies

To A weird thing happend

Quick Reply: A weird thing happend