C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to replace the shocks/struts 2001

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Macleod52
2013 C6Z06 from Gene Culley. Under $300 for the set. Direct replacement. Depending on how many miles are on your car I'd suggest checking your tie rod ends for wear too. I've got 88K and mine were all pretty well worn.
Thank you for the referral. I certainly appreciate it.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 07-01-2015, 11:05 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo13

I went with the Konis last year and they have been great with my DD, no more losing contact with the ground and skipping around corners. For street use I would buy them again. My second choice was the bilstein hd, as I did not want too stiff a ride.
you made the correct choice. i was not impressed with the HD. shock has too little rebound control. makes the car unsettled at speed

koni as a brand usually makes products that work very well. in fact i can't think of any shock i have installed on any car from them that has not met or exceeded expectations
Old 07-02-2015, 04:45 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Just as an aside, this is something I found interesting when researching the Koni line, long ago. They said the most critical performance item is the quality of the chrome plating on the rod. From company information, but it was something I hadn't considered. The striction of the moving seal must be durable and consistent. Apparently, microscopic surface irregularities are more important than I knew.

They also said one Belgium guy alone made the shock valving decisions , from riding in each car the shocks were designed for. Comfort was a priority, once equal to factory performance was achieved. I am sure that guy is long dead, but still useful if you need a good riding shock for an old car. I decided to postpone the fancy shocks, as my car needed six, and they were pricey for my needs. It had antique wire wheels, so I never pushed it , much.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
If you want something comfortable, I would absolutely go base C6 shocks. I've got C6 Z06 shocks on my car, and with base springs it's not harsh, but it's certainly firmer than stock. I like it, but it might be too rough for someone that's looking for a smooth ride. AC Delco are the best bang for the buck shocks you can get for these cars and they're great quality.
Thanks for the tip. I went with the base C6 shocks and metal sway bar end links. Nice ride/handling improvement.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
I put C6 Z06 shocks and C6 Z51 sway bars with metal end links on my '97 Coupe and it made a WORLD of difference.

Corners absolutely flat now. Shocks are a stiffer, but I retained my base C5 springs so the ride isn't bad at all.

BTW - I live in MI as well and know exactly what you mean about the roads.
Thanks for the tip. I went with base C6 shocks and replaced all four sway bar links with the metal links. Nice ride/handling improvement.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:18 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

I sent Bill an email. For those of you who installed the rear C6 Z06 shocks. We have a, let's say, less than cooperative customer and he is having a problem with the rear shock orientation that we've never had before. Sold 1000 sets of shocks and never this issue. Can anyone see this thread and assist?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...de-shocks.html
Old 08-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I provided an answer to the post. I will also try to add some pictures.

BC

Quick Reply: Time to replace the shocks/struts 2001