C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD Electronics

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 06:35 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default HUD Electronics

Has anyone done any troubleshooting of the HUD electronics? I took the HUD out of my new to me 2004 as it would not project onto the windshield but I could see the display if I looked down into the HUD unit.
So I was expecting to find the pivot pin on the mirror broken like I have read so much about...nope...pins are fine. So either the motor is out, or the position electronics are out or the push button input to the position electronics is out.

Need schematics or wiring diagrams......anyone?????

Last edited by LannyL81; 02-02-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:00 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

While I had the HUD unit all apart I reflowed the solder on the motor contacts and a few other spots....reconnected it in the car and lo and behold....IT WORKS!!!

Must have just been a cracked solder joint. I have fixed many things by simply reflowing solder and this turned-out to be another one.

Now I just got to put everything back together and work on the CD changer that will not eject the CD magazine.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:30 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You not only figured out your OWN issue, but you replied back so others could benefit,

WELL DONE! Excellent troubleshooting and repair work!

Thank You

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-03-2016 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:38 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I'll be doing this soon , I get the HUD dimming randomly in bright sunlight. Grand Prix guys have been having the same issue for a while and it's fixed with a simple reflow of 2 solder joints. ( http://www.gmforum.com/electrical-13...7-03-a-296023/ )
Old 02-03-2016, 08:24 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by LannyL81
...and work on the CD changer that will not eject the CD magazine.
I'm glad you could fix the HUD and that it turned out to be something relatively simple

Regarding the changer, if resetting it with a pin through the little hole on its faceplate doesn't do the trick of bringing it back to normal behavior, try this to remove the stuck magazine:

Remove the changer from your car and open its cover. You will see that it is basically divided in 2 areas placed side-by-side, one to accommodate the magazine and another one where the selected disc gets extracted to and played.

Below the area that holds the loaded magazine, approximately centered with respect to it and opposite the loading door, there is a white plastic lever. If you action that lever, it will unlock the magazine. Just be careful because one of the trays or CDs might be stuck half way between the magazine and the playing area, preventing you from freely pulling the magazine. Be gentle!

Last edited by GCG; 02-03-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:03 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

GCG: I have had the CD Changer apart and can see the white lever you reference; however it will not budge....nothing will move. I can get the magazine motor to move a small amout but not able to get the metal plate on the backside to move at all.

Going to try to apply power with the case opened and see what happens.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:18 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Well I got the magazine out; it was not an electrical problem, it was mechanical in that the botton tray was out to far and catching.

Ended-up taking the magazine apart and found several of the metal spring fingers messed-up and probably not re-useable.

Now I need to find a new magazine.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:16 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

I'm glad you found the problem!

Get notified of new replies

To HUD Electronics

Quick Reply: HUD Electronics