C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Corvette .. Custom CheaTR cam grind?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
Default 1997 Corvette .. Custom CheaTR cam grind?

Hi Guys,

I am looking to close the deal on a family friends one owner 1998 Corvette. Its all original, 6M, Torch Red, with 51,000miles on it. Stock right down to the paper filter.

I don't want to mess too much with the car and I'd like it to appear unmodified (but pack some extra punch) so I am considering throwing in a stealth cam or cheater cam.

Where is the best place to get something like an original cheaTR cam custom grind?

Spec's: cheaTR Cam - 214/230 .601/.575 117 LSA.

This cam was designed for stock manifolds and a lot of people loved it back in the day until manufacturer went out of business. Basically you cant tell that the car has a cam...sounds stock but its worth a good 30-35hp bump.

Basically this would be the only mod, plus a tune and maybe a ported TB and Z06 Manifolds.

Any comments, suggestions? I don't want a bigger cam that lopes, and I don't want to mess with much else. Would you get the grind slightly modified for less lift?

Last edited by Roddy13; 09-08-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Roddy13
Hi Guys,

I am looking to close the deal on a family friends one owner 1997 Corvette. Its all original, 6M, Bright Red, with 51,000miles on it. Stock right down to the paper filter.

I don't want to mess too much with the car and I'd like it to appear unmodified (but pack some extra punch) so I am considering throwing in a stealth cam or cheater cam.

Where is the best place to get something like an original cheaTR cam custom grind?

Spec's: cheaTR Cam - 214/230 .601/.575 117 LSA.

This cam was designed for stock manifolds and a lot of people loved it back in the day until manufacturer went out of business. Basically you cant tell that the car has a cam...sounds stock but its worth a good 30-35hp bump.

Basically this would be the only mod, plus a tune and maybe a ported TB and Z06 Manifolds.

Any comments, suggestions? I don't want a bigger cam that lopes, and I don't want to mess with much else. Would you get the grind slightly modified for less lift?
That was a Thunder Racing cam Correct?
Here are the specs for an EPS cam that is very close.

Product Information
Intake Duration: 214 Degrees at .050" Tappet Lift.
Intake Lift: .605" with 1.7 rockers.
Exhaust Duration 232 Degrees at .050" Tappet Lift
Exhaust Lift .598" with 1.7 rockers.
117 Degree LSA

Designed For 5.7 to 6.2 Liter Engines With Stock Or Stock Type Intake Manifolds and Cathedral Port Heads.
Minor Computer Tuning Required. Dual Valvespings are recommended.
Greatly Improved Power Band As Compared To Stock.

1500 to 6800 RPM Operating Range.

Available In Either 3 Bolt or 1 Bolt Patterns.

I don't think they are a vendor here so I won't post a link. Engine Power Systems, Baton Rouge, LA
If you read the home page of their website you will see that Geoff was one of the co-founders of TR.

Last edited by Greg_E; 09-07-2016 at 04:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Roddy13 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Excellent! Looks just like what I am after. I am very picky about it not sounding cammed in any way.

Any other suggestions?
Old 09-08-2016, 12:41 PM
wrkdWS6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I think undetectable cams are awesome. I don't know of any off-the shelf cams that are similar to that TR grind so I would personally get in touch with a reputable LS cam designer who can make you a custom grind. I'm pretty sure Geoff Skinner of EPS did the cam designs for Thunder Racing so you could get in touch with him. For their time, his cams did very well.
Roddy13 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Another option would be to contact Tony Mamo or Brian Touly. They have spent YEARS designing heads and cams for our engines. They would be you best bet getting something that will make you and your C5 happy. They have some VERY NICE cam options that would fit your needs!

Before you get too excited with adding a NEW cam to your engine, you need to look DEEPLY into what OTHER things that you will need to make the modification successful and reliable.

Some "THINGS" that pop into my mind right away are: (I've done this a couple of times )

Replacement Dampener and front cover dampener seal
Melling or ported LS6 oil pump
New timing chain
New VALVE SPRINGS
New correct length (properly measure for preload) push rods
Rocker arm trunion up-grade kit.
180 degree T stat

Depending on the Cam selection, you may need different injectors (the tuner will be able to determine this.)

Highly recommend purchasing an LS6 or a 2001-2004 LS1 intake manifold. Porting a stock manifold doesn't get you all that much but, if you can do it your self, it would be worth a couple HP.

You will need a tune and not just a MAIL ORDER TUNE. A mail order tune will work BUT, you will not get the most out of the up-grade and may loose some fuel mileage.

If you want a better STOCK exhaust, find a good used ZO6 exhaust system (manifolds and mid-pipe)
You can get a C6 ZO6 exhaust system to fit and work for some decent gains but it involves a good bit of work.

Who is doing the work? Are you going to pull the heads or do the job from the front of the engine using dowels without pulling the heads?

Bill
Roddy13 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 03:08 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Another option would be to contact Tony Mamo or Brian Touly. They have spent YEARS designing heads and cams for our engines. They would be you best bet getting something that will make you and your C5 happy. They have some VERY NICE cam options that would fit your needs!

Before you get too excited with adding a NEW cam to your engine, you need to look DEEPLY into what OTHER things that you will need to make the modification successful and reliable.

Some "THINGS" that pop into my mind right away are: (I've done this a couple of times )

New timing chain
New VALVE SPRINGS
180 degree T stat

Depending on the Cam selection, you may need different injectors (the tuner will be able to determine this.)

Highly recommend purchasing an LS6 or a 2001-2004 LS1 intake manifold. Porting a stock manifold doesn't get you all that much but, if you can do it your self, it would be worth a couple HP.

You will need a tune and not just a MAIL ORDER TUNE. A mail order tune will work BUT, you will not get the most out of the up-grade and may loose some fuel mileage.

If you want a better STOCK exhaust, find a good used ZO6 exhaust system (manifolds and mid-pipe)
You can get a C6 ZO6 exhaust system to fit and work for some decent gains but it involves a good bit of work.

Who is doing the work? Are you going to pull the heads or do the job from the front of the engine using dowels without pulling the heads?

Bill
Very good points, thanks for pointing these out. Is the oil pump essential?

Will the LS6 intake manifold look any different than the stock LS1 manifold?

The work will be done professionally by a local corvette shop and will also be dyno tuned by them.

Also I do have lines on a pair of Z06 manifolds and the mid-pipe section to go with it. That would be a nice touch.

Last edited by Roddy13; 09-08-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Bill Curlee (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

The LS1 intake and LS6 intake look slightly different but not so you would notice on a casual look.

The 98 exhaust manifolds are stainless steel. The Z06 manifolds are cast iron. They do look very different.

In addition to Bill's list I would add a timing chain dampener.
Brian Tooley Racing sells an aftermarket piece for a reasonable price, but your block has to be drilled and tapped for it.
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/ls6...-88958607.html
If your block is not drilled and tapped for it, Trickflow sells a kit that doesn't require drilling and tapping. They sell the kit that has the bracket and dampener, just the dampener, and just the bracket. Be sure you order the kit. (both pieces, better price)

The cam that EPS sells is probably just an improved version of the CheaTR. Some of the newer lobe designs are easier on the valve train. The thing to do would be to talk to the man that designed it.
Roddy13 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

New timing chain
New VALVE SPRINGS
180 degree T stat

Bill
Originally Posted by Greg_E
The LS1 intake and LS6 intake look slightly different but not so you would notice on a casual look.

The 98 exhaust manifolds are stainless steel. The Z06 manifolds are cast iron. They do look very different.

In addition to Bill's list I would add a timing chain dampener.
Brian Tooley Racing sells an aftermarket piece for a reasonable price, but your block has to be drilled and tapped for it.
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/ls6...-88958607.html
If your block is not drilled and tapped for it, Trickflow sells a kit that doesn't require drilling and tapping. They sell the kit that has the bracket and dampener, just the dampener, and just the bracket. Be sure you order the kit. (both pieces, better price)

The cam that EPS sells is probably just an improved version of the CheaTR. Some of the newer lobe designs are easier on the valve train. The thing to do would be to talk to the man that designed it.
Thanks for all of this. I may just stick with the stock exhaust manifolds, but have already decided I will buy the LS6 intake, and match it with a ported tb and K&N filter. I'm hoping that combined with the cam I can put down stock C5 Z06 numbers

Last edited by Roddy13; 09-08-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

The cast iron manifolds do flow better than the older SS manifolds. The cats on the Z06 mid-pipe may also flow better, but to be honest I don't remember. I think they do. If it was me and I could get them at a reasonable price, I'd do the swap. It will still look like stock, just not 1998 stock.

Here is the part number for the Trickflow kit. TFS-K30675600-K. The -K is for the kit with both pieces. It uses a LS2 dampener which without the bracket to mount it won't work on an LS1. Should be around $70 for the kit.

Until recently the LS1 timing chain dampeners were in a limited supply of NOS that Katech had bought up. Supply and demand = expensive. One of the forum members here decided to have an aftermarket dampener made which he markets through BTR at much more reasonable price. If you don't have the mounting holes though, the TF is the way to go.

Last edited by Greg_E; 09-08-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 903 Likes on 369 Posts

Would you get the grind slightly modified for less lift?
YES.....with a capital "Y"

That cam was ground with a very aggressive ramp profile that's hard on parts (especially the springs).....it's the last thing you need in a build where you as far from max effort as you can conceivably by. You would want something with a smoother lobe for much more endurance

Also. lobe designs have improved alot since then....I can put you in a cam that has the same area under the curve and a much smoother ramp and drop down so it's better on valve control....better on durability.

Email is the best way to reach me for the fastest response

mamomotorsports@yahoo.com

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com
Old 09-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

I posted the info for that cam because that is what you asked.

Tony has had some incredible success on projects he has done for other members here.
It is certainly worth your time to listen to what he has to say, and if you like what you hear go with him. I don't think I've every read where anyone was disappointed with the end result, when Tony was involved with the project.

Last edited by Greg_E; 09-08-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Very good points, thanks for pointing these out. Is the oil pump essential?

Will the LS6 intake manifold look any different than the stock LS1 manifold?

The work will be done professionally by a local corvette shop and will also be dyno tuned by them.

Also I do have lines on a pair of Z06 manifolds and the mid-pipe section to go with it. That would be a nice touch.

I wouldn't invest all that cash in a boosted engine with out a new pump. They are not all that much money and you have to remove it to install a cam any way.

The intake is identical looking but breathes MUCH BETTER

Get notified of new replies

To 1997 Corvette .. Custom CheaTR cam grind?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 Corvette .. Custom CheaTR cam grind?