Notices
C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Question

Old 10-30-2016, 08:40 AM
dabit23

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine too was inoperable. After removal, cleaning, and relube of the handle mechanism it works as a parking brake.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:11 AM
garebear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I was never very impressed with the holding ability of my parking brake, so like many "week-end wrenches', I decided to fix it. This, of course, ended up with the brake working in an even less effective manner.

Earlier this week, I bought the proper sized drum brake measuring tool, as illustrated in the FSM, and two days ago, I set about re-adjusting the brake shoes. Initially, I found that I had way too much clearance between the p-brake shoes and the inside of the rotor, so I adjusted it to the specified 0.015" clearance. I then put everything back together, happily thinking I was good to go.

Not so fast.....as the p-brake will now at least hold the car from rolling down the driveway, if I put the car in gear, and give it even a little bit of gas, the engine will still overcome the p-brake's holding ability.

Is this right?
I always say "if it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is"...
Old 10-31-2016, 06:53 AM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Received 457 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by garebear View Post
I always say "if it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is"...
Whereas I always say, "Use it as a learning experience", and the second time around, you'll have it fixed correctly............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking Brake Question

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: