C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 180 degree header build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 10:43 PM
Tinmatt
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02
I just upload pix directly to the forum post.
That would have been the wise decision in hindsight. I went via the photobucket route to make it easy to copy and paste so I could post both here and the local Columbus Racing site. Shortcuts always cost in the end and I'm regretting that decision now. Hopefully I will find the time to resolve this issue. All further pictures posted will be via the direct Corvette Forum hosting. Thanks for mentioning said option, much easier than finding another hosting site.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:52 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

You can edit pictures back in if you can remember what went where.

There is a testing section in this forum at the bottom of the drop menu for practicing posting stuff. A nice tool. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/testing-68/
Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 AM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinmatt
Well, photobucket has decided to be complete dicks and no longer allow 3rd party linking unless a "ransom" of $400 is paid. So all of the photos of this build thread can no longer be viewed in the thread along with the descriptions until I move everything to a new host. To be honest, I don't know if I will ever find time to do so. For now, here is a link to my photobucket library where all the pictures that were once in this thread can be found, http://s157.photobucket.com/user/tinman_015/library/
Yep they screwed me too. I will not pay them *******. Imgur Ive been uploading up to them. It will take a while to go back through my old posts to edit.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:44 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SuperTom
Yep they screwed me too. I will not pay them *******. Imgur Ive been uploading up to them. It will take a while to go back through my old posts to edit.

Damn. I had a couple of your threads bookmarked too.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:53 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Well, photobucket has decided to be complete dicks and no longer allow 3rd party linking unless a "ransom" of $400 is paid. So all of the photos of this build thread can no longer be viewed in the thread along with the descriptions until I move everything to a new host.
Sorry to hear that, as I truly enjoyed watching the progress of your project. However, I'm glad that you posted this explanation, as I've noticed that a few other pictures have disappeared from various topics and/or other sites that I visit, and I was wondering if it was something that I accidentally triggered, on my laptop.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:03 AM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Mark this as the end of Photobucket.

Once a company gets greedy and chases the bulk of users away the ad revenue drops, and bye bye. It is a self started spiral.

The remnants can be seen all over the internet in posts with pictures no longer hosted, by companies that are no longer in business.

We all know the glory of your headers. The pictures are just memories.

What we all really want is to know how it is coming along and if you will ever say that you think it is perfect.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:59 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Unfortunate photo hosting decision there
Old 07-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chev

Once a company gets greedy and chases the bulk of users away the ad revenue drops, and bye bye. It is a self started spiral.

The remnants can be seen all over the internet in posts with pictures no longer hosted, by companies that are no longer in business.

What we all really want is to know how it is coming along and if you will ever say that you think it is perfect.
If anyone knows the flaws, it's the builder. On another note my pics hosted by Photobucket still seem to be working. What's the diff between us?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Tinmatt
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Chev

I haven't had a chance to do much with it lately. The overaxle pipes are only half way over the axle. The muffler core and outer case have been sheared and rolled. And the muffler end caps are done. I just need to find the time to put them all together.

I will forever be chasing perfection on this and all my other projects. The thrill of the chase is what keeps me going, and buried in projects.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:29 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
Unfortunate photo hosting decision there
I went with Postimage

It's free with no ads and has

Hotlink for forums

The only downside is no email in pics which
I can live with for 3rd party hosting.

Any one have any other suggestions for a hoster?

Here's one how I felt about Photobucket

Old 07-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Tinmatt
Instructor

Minor update, sorry no pics or vids.

Came across a deal on a pair of GHL bullet mufflers that I couldn't pass on. I figured I would bolt them on to see if they would be more appropriate for the track or street and then build another set of mufflers for the driving the GHL's weren't best suited for. As expected, the GHL's will be the track mufflers and now the challenge is to build a pair for the street that are a bit tamer.

The GHL's sound awesome at full song but have an occasional bark driving around town that I can only describe as trumpet like. It's only for a small ~100rpm range but it's hit in every gear when driving normally. I am otherwise delighted with them and if I wasn't a perfectionist when it comes to exhaust note I would leave well enough alone.

I think I will try the X pipe again with these if for no other reason, experimentation and more knowledge.

Lastly, I'm considering making a full and lengthy youtube video describing the concept of 180 degree headers and filming them as installed. A few sound clips to be included as well. Is there anything anyone here thinks I should mention on the subject? Or does anyone have any questions they would like answered in video format?
Old 07-15-2017, 10:26 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Amazing work! I am glad I stumbled on this thread! Subbed for updates
Old 07-15-2017, 10:43 AM
0Deity.Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 225 Posts

Wow! You just re ignited my dream of 180 degree headers for my C7Z!!
Old 07-31-2017, 02:44 AM
Bottledbird68
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive work. Subscribing for future updates. Looking forward to more sound clips with different mufflers. Thank you for sharing!
Old 07-31-2017, 06:27 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Did you ever get a chance to get a dyno with the headers?
It would be interesting to see a graph if possible.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:49 PM
Tinmatt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bottledbird68
Impressive work. Subscribing for future updates. Looking forward to more sound clips with different mufflers. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks. More sound clips coming. Please be patient, I've been busy on other projects.

Did you ever get a chance to get a dyno with the headers?
It would be interesting to see a graph if possible.
Not yet. Soon I hope. My preferred dyno and operator are very busy right now and I don't know when he will be available.

Not sure what is happening but it appears my pictures are working again. Is everyone else able to see them as well? If this is the work of a moderator, many thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Bottledbird68 (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 08:08 PM
Bottledbird68
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. More sound clips coming. Please be patient, I've been busy on other projects.

Not yet. Soon I hope. My preferred dyno and operator are very busy right now and I don't know when he will be available.

Not sure what is happening but it appears my pictures are working again. Is everyone else able to see them as well? If this is the work of a moderator, many thanks!
Yes pictures are working for me. Only in your original posts. All the reply ones where they would repeat aren't but who really cares there?
And no worries. I'm patient. The project I'm looking to do this on won't even be under way until at least next year. I just appreciate any testing you do as it helps me pick and choose what direction I'm going to go and hopefully saves me from making the wrong choices from the start.
Again, thank you for sharing all of this in so much detail, it's very much so appreciated!
Tinmatt (07-31-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 180 degree header build thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 PM
Tinmatt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bottledbird68
Yes pictures are working for me. Only in your original posts. All the reply ones where they would repeat aren't but who really cares there?
And no worries. I'm patient. The project I'm looking to do this on won't even be under way until at least next year. I just appreciate any testing you do as it helps me pick and choose what direction I'm going to go and hopefully saves me from making the wrong choices from the start.
Again, thank you for sharing all of this in so much detail, it's very much so appreciated!
Good to hear on the pictures. Thanks so much to whoever is responsible!

No reason to make the wrong choices, I've done plenty of that for you.

I currently have a pair of GHL bullets on the car without the X pipe and It's not making the music I want. I will get some audio of it in that configuration and post it here before I change things up. Next step will be running the GHL's with the X pipe. Once again, I'll post up some audio. I'm doubting they will be right with the X as well, and if so, I will either modify them with a helmholtz resonator or begin fabbing my own axle back and mufflers.

Please be patient as I am working on other projects and won't have it back on the lift until at least mid August.

Last edited by Tinmatt; 07-31-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 07-31-2017, 09:08 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

What if you did the by-pass mod on stock mufflers?
Old 07-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Tinmatt
Instructor

What if you did the by-pass mod on stock mufflers?
I had the same thought. But the I feel the odd trumpety sound I was getting around 1700-2000rpm would only have been amplified with the bypass mod. Due to the complete change in exhaust note I think a complete rethink of muffler design is in order. I have ideas, too many to list as of yet, but I will dive into them one by one as I try new things in the goal of musical perfection.

I should probably put a disclaimer of sorts in here. At full throttle and driving as the Corvette was meant to be driven, all of the configurations I have tried had a sound that I would describe anywhere from "very nice" to "oh my god, the angles are singing my song!". But all have also lacked to please the ears when driving normally as unfortunately is required by Johnny law.

I have been struggling with both the tone and volume at part throttle from ~1700-~2000rpm. Which is steering me in the direction of helmholtz resonators in addition to mufflers... or maybe just helmholtz resonators... why muffle the angles as they sing?!
VFR RC46 (01-29-2020)

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 180 degree header build thread