C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant sensor issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:50 PM
Randy53
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant sensor issues

Just had the coolant sensor replaced due to a erratic readings after replacing it now just pegs out. Hopefully there is something simple that I missing any suggestions
Old 03-25-2017, 05:24 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

did you use an authentic ac delco sensor for the correct year of your car?

if i had to guess without testing i would say you don't have the correct sensor.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Randy53
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by racebum
did you use an authentic ac delco sensor for the correct year of your car?

if i had to guess without testing i would say you don't have the correct sensor.
We install an authentic ac delco sensor and it worked for about 30mins. Then temp got up to 180 and after 30mins of just sitting there idling then it dropped to around 50 and the car started running like **** again. Now all the sudden my abs and tcs lights came on. This is all on my 2001 c5
Old 03-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Sometimes new parts outright FAIL. Read it with an OHM Meter and dunk it in some hot and cold water and see if the resistance changes.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Randy53
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Sometimes new parts outright FAIL. Read it with an OHM Meter and dunk it in some hot and cold water and see if the resistance changes.
So I finally got it figured out. Turns out there were two different spots with the O2 sensor wires that had melted due to them being too close to the headers and exhaust with no heat shield on it. Got them repaired and now everything works like it should. No traction control lights or ABS lights plus water temp sensor is working great. All my issues we're due to the melted / shorted wires.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:31 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy53
So I finally got it figured out. Turns out there were two different spots with the O2 sensor wires that had melted due to them being too close to the headers and exhaust with no heat shield on it. Got them repaired and now everything works like it should. No traction control lights or ABS lights plus water temp sensor is working great. All my issues we're due to the melted / shorted wires.
I noticed that when it's really hot out, I get the traction control, active handling, abs errors. Could the problem you found occur with stock cat-forward exhaust, too? If so, how did you find the burnt wires, from the top, or bottom?

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant sensor issues

Quick Reply: Coolant sensor issues