C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Shocks vs. corvette shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 04:29 PM
AmyMeadows1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Shocks vs. corvette shocks

I inherited my dads 2004 corvette. I researched that I could change the special shocks with regular shocks and regulators so the computer won't get messed up. Well the regulators I ordered from mid America don't work. So I now have regular shocks on and thought I could take it to the Chevy dealer and have the computer fixed, but they said no. I have to replace the special shocks with special shocks. Is this true? I'm so tired of people taking advantage of me because I'm a female. I don't know where to turn!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:24 PM
AmyMeadows1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I will assume that the "special shocks" that you refer to on the 2004 are RPO F55. Look on the sticker inside the glove box door and see if it has F55 listed.

If it has F55 then there are two solutions to replacing those shocks.

1) You need to find someone with a Tech 2 device and have the F55 RPO programmed out of the Body Control Module. Then any conventional shock can be used on the car.

2) If you cannot find someone with a TECH 2 to remove the RPO you MUST replace the shocks with the proper GM F55 shocks. If you do not then there will always be a message displayed in the Driver Information Center (DIC) that limits the vehicle speed to 80MPH.

There are no "devices" or regulators as you called them that can be connected to the car that will fool the computer for RPO F55 on the C5..............

If you need the details on the steps for the Tech 2 to program the RPO out of the BCM here is a link:

http://billswebspace.com/F55Disable.pdf
Oh my gosh! Thank you so very very much! Now I need to find a tech2 here in Fresno, CA. Thank you so so so much! I'm a real estate broker, if there's anything I can do, please let me know! Amy
Old 04-07-2017, 09:26 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 442 Likes on 325 Posts

Many times the techs at the dealership are not aware of how to turn RPO codes on or off. If you show them the procedure, then they can follow it

I had that experience when trying to activate the TPMS (tire pressure sensors) feature on my Z06. The Z06 did not come with that feature from the factory but the computer has that capability. I went to a couple of dealerships and they adamantly said it was impossible until I gave them the procedure. I wound up using an independent shop due to price. Dealership wanted $100 vs the $40 I paid.

While we want to think dealerships are the "all knowing", they are not. It is impossible to know everything and they don't​ normally add or delete features on a car in their routine repairs.

If need be, have a guy friend talk to the shops over the phone to set things up and you take the car in. It sucks but it may be what you need to do to get the job done and at a reasonable price.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,235 Likes on 13,934 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

According to the attached file, simulators or resistors do not work on the F55 system. Tuning the F55 out of the system is the way to take care of this. Then you can replace the Mag Ride shocks with regular shocks. Hopefully this info is still the most current that is available.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 04-07-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:47 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

Hi Amy. Sorry to hear about your dad and it's easy to see your under a great deal of stress. I have a 2004 also so if you can give us some background it would help. How many miles are on the car and how do you know it needs new shocks. I have 60,000 miles on mine and they are still good. What kind of shocks did you attempt to put on the car? Are you working through a dealer or a local mechanic? With the information above, we can offer advice. I bet the car will be back running real soon.

Just saw that others have already posted so it sounds like your in good hands. Good luck.

Last edited by rrichar2591; 04-07-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help!! Shocks vs. corvette shocks

Quick Reply: Help!! Shocks vs. corvette shocks