C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Coupe Dash Freaking Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:45 PM
markmark
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 Coupe Dash Freaking Out

Hey gang. Daily for the last 3 days my 2001 coupe seems to be possessed. The display will read things like REDUCED ENGINE POWER, LOW FUEL, SERVICE TIRE MONITOR SYSTEM. The temp guage is pegged, Oil Pressure reads 0, Fuel guage reads 0, and volt meter is functioning. Radio shuts off, windows don't function along with the auto door locks and a/c.

I pulled the codes~
BCM
U1301
U1255H
U1016H
U1096H
SDM~
U1301H
IPC~
U1255H
U1064H
U1040H
U1016H
U1176H
U1088H
U1160H
Radio~
U1096H
U1016H
HVAC~
U1064H
U1096H
U1160H
U1255H
RDCM~
B2265H
U1255H
U1064H
U1016H
U1096H
SCM~
U1300H
U1255H
U1160H
U1016H
U1064H
RFA~
U1255H
U1064H
U1064H
U1096H
U1016H

I see that most of these codes are tripped for a lack of communication with other modules. I am at wits end because I don't know where to start. I know that some of you here have encountered this problem, and would very much appreciate your input on how to rid my car of these demons. Thank you in advance. I'm also looking for a reference for a reputable shop to repair my Coupe's issues. I am in Sacramento, and thank you again
Old 05-13-2017, 11:22 PM
markmark
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Is the carpet wet in the passenger foot well???

Do any of the sensor have NO COMM immediately after the sensor identification? For example

A0 - LDCM NO COMM

or

10 - PCM NO COMM
Passenger foot well is dry. I do have a No Communication with the LDCM. Most of everything else is a Loss of Communication
Old 05-14-2017, 12:14 AM
markmark
Heel & Toe

You can try this. Open the drivers (left) door as wide as possible. Between the door jamb and the A Pilliar is a rubber accordion tube. Grab a hold of that tube and shake it heavily (as hard as you can). Then get in the car close the door and start it and see if you still have the crazy symptoms and messages. The codes will remain stored until you delete them but the symptoms may go away. May take a couple of times shaking the accordion tube..

Post back your results please.
I'll give it a shot tomorrow, thanks.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:34 AM
Kobie
Racer

St. Jude Donor '19

I would start by checking the battery 1st

I had a battery go bad on me once,The car look like a Christmas tree.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:52 PM
markmark
Heel & Toe

You can try this. Open the drivers (left) door as wide as possible. Between the door jamb and the A Pilliar is a rubber accordion tube. Grab a hold of that tube and shake it heavily (as hard as you can). Then get in the car close the door and start it and see if you still have the crazy symptoms and messages. The codes will remain stored until you delete them but the symptoms may go away. May take a couple of times shaking the accordion tube..

Post back your results please.
It got better, until I closed the door, then no comm again
Old 05-14-2017, 05:19 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by markmark
It got better, until I closed the door, then no comm again
its the wiring in the left door that causing that problem.

I get it all the time, first time was definitely a scare. Now it's just annoying.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:23 PM
markmark
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Nurburgring
its the wiring in the left door that causing that problem.

I get it all the time, first time was definitely a scare. Now it's just annoying.
So do you just put up with it? Or has it been repaired? Thx
Old 05-14-2017, 09:27 PM
markmark
Heel & Toe

Here is a link to a thread that has some pics that show you what is most likely wrong with your car:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-there-is.html

The 3rd pic shows the accordion tube pulled back from the A-Pilliar and 2 connectors fished up out of the A-Pilliar. A bright blue one and a black one. The black one is the problem.

If you separate the two halves of the black connector (see the 5th pic in the link) you will see one or more female pins in the connectors that are deformed. This connector has a presence of the serial data buss that is used for communications between all the sensors in the car. The damaged pins are causing corruption on the serial data buss and that is the cause of all the loss of communications on your other sensors. When the sensors cannot communicate the electronics in the car goes crazy and the symptoms you have and more occur.

If you disconnect the battery neg cable and then use a dental pic to reshape the pins in the connector and then carefully put the connector back together, reconnect the battery and the problems should go away. You will have to clear the codes to get rid of all the recorded DTC's.

This is a pretty common issue with the C5 as the contact surfaces in this connector are very soft and deform very easily.

I also suggest that you have your battery checked out as suggested in the post by Kobie. He is correct that a bad battery can cause some pretty significant issue with the C5 electronics although the NO COMM message with the left door control module is pretty much the indicator of this issue..........

I will also mention that there is an identical connector in the passenger side A Pillar and it has been know to create these same problems but on a far less frequent basis. Perhaps because the passenger door is used far less than the driver door on most C5's.

Thank you, that is some pretty interesting reading and info. I will definitely have a look there again tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:55 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by markmark
So do you just put up with it? Or has it been repaired? Thx
good question, I put up with it and of course I will fix it in the upcoming weeks and be documenting it as well.

It's very annoying but also does not effect the performance of the vehicle.

I'll post a video link from my YouTube page about the codes and dash lighting up.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Tracy Sain
1st Gear

Default Ihmygod, thank you!!!

I have an 03 Z06, and started running into the same issues-SERVICE ENGINE SOON, REDUCED ENGINE POWER, and wonky gauges. Been troubleshooting this nonsense for three weeks now. Started out intermittent, then became an all-the-time thing. 8VETTE7 - followed your incredible info on your link, and this appears to be the source of all my headaches! Already changed the battery, and cleaned up ALL the grounds already (and in all honesty, likely needed to be done soon anyway), but you might very well have given me another month of driving her before the snow flies. We went and shook the accordions in the doors, and a test run came back with NO ERRORS!! Seems the problem is now isolated (hopefully). Staring to pull the connectors out now-will keep you updated if this resolves the problem. 😀
Old 09-05-2017, 09:56 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

When my dash went crazy, it was all related to a bad ignition switch
Old 09-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

As some of you have had the same symptoms caused by vastly different things and the answer to the issues is YES. They can all cause the same symptoms.

Wetted passengers BCM/carpet/ wetted drivers carpet seat electrical plug wet.

Bad Ignition Switch
Damaged door power connector female pins

All of them can cause the car to freak out BECAUSE, the modules have to operate on LOW VOLTAGE (bad ignition switch) or the water causes a loss of or corrupted serial data.

Yours just happens to be a VERY BAD door power connector connection that turns the DCM on & off, On & Off on & off, On & Off, on & off, On & Off! The serial data buss gets corrupted!

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Coupe Dash Freaking Out

Quick Reply: 2001 Coupe Dash Freaking Out