C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stick with stock intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 04:00 PM
slowcone
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stick with stock intake?

I've read tons of threads about the pros and cons of different intakes and I'm still debating what to do. I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms but the general consensus seems to be:
- intakes that pull cold outside air like vararam and the callaway honker will make the most power
- everything else pulls in hot air from under the hood (unless you cut the radiator shroud)

I have a 2003 z06 and my plan is to just do headers with the stock titanium exhaust. I want to get a tune later on but was wondering if it's worth getting an intake. Does anyone have IAT's for the stock intake, hot air intakes, and cold air intakes?

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:25 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I'd get a honker because it's proven for big gains and is very high quality . Sure the The vararam makes same power but it looks like a 4th graders science project of cobbled plastic parts and it takes three weeks to piece to together
Old 06-20-2017, 11:25 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

I doubt a true CAI will make much difference with just headers and stock TI exhaust. CAI will shine with cam, heads, full exhaust and tune but not so much with your proposed setup.

Last edited by tbrowne; 06-20-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 PM
slowcone
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Lexybird
I'd get a honker because it's proven for big gains and is very high quality . Sure the The vararam makes same power but it looks like a 4th graders science project of cobbled plastic parts and it takes three weeks to piece to together
The fit and finish of the honker looked great. I've read some horror stories about vararam so I wasn't even considering it.

Originally Posted by tbrowne
I doubt a true CAI will make much difference with just headers and stock TI exhaust. CAI will shine with cam, heads, full exhaust and tune but not so much with your proposed setup.
Ok that's what I was wondering - whether or not getting a cheaper intake like the blackwing would be worth it. I may just keep the stock intake for my setup then.

Last edited by slowcone; 06-20-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:26 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I have had both the Vararam and the Honker. Get the Honker. Quality is much better. I had to glue in the filter to the Vararam to keep dirt from getting by plus the Honker moves the MAF closer to the throttle body.

I don't think the Honker is not worth getting. There are a lot of guys out there with bolt ons that use a CAI and do very well. If the air is too hot, the PCM will cut back on timing and the CAI will prevent this from happening.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

If you are going to add headers, the VaraRam or Honker will give you the best response. The difference is the old price/quality trade off. The VaraRam will give you the same results up to about 125-130mph and then starts to fall off. However, the tune combined with the above will be the best advise. When you change any of the components of the engine management system, you are making compromises to the PCM setting. The PCM can make some minor adjustments but it take 50 ignition cycles to complete the changes. A great scan/log tune will not only give you more horsepower, but also greatly increase the "Under cam" low rpm power/torque. If you are going to drag race, a dyno tune works best, if you are going to mainly drive on the street, the scan/log tune is best. Also, a street tune can remove most of the DBW lag in the Throttle Body. Check with COW or other vendors on the forum for a great scan/log tune.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:26 PM
slowcone
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll go with Callaway then. I'm also tuning using HP tuners in the future.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

One thing not mentioned is how difficult it is to find a honker for a c5 . There's just a handful of vendors and they are almost always sold out of them .sadly Expect to pay half a grand for one kit
Old 06-22-2017, 01:18 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Buy it direct from Callaway, same price. I have the Honker on my car. I highly recommend it. I have never had a problem and it works great, looks OEM too! It is also the easiest to service.

Get notified of new replies

To Stick with stock intake?

Quick Reply: Stick with stock intake?