C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with IPC and HUD

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:27 PM
jarero
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Issues with IPC and HUD

A little back story first....

I picked up a bargain priced high mile 99 C5 coupe last year and haven't driven it since the test drive so I have limited experience behind the wheel. My intention from the begging was to fix it up some starting with an interior refresh. Well due to some unforeseen circumstance I have had many delays getting to the point I am at now.

I have two issues that I don't think are related but I am including them together just in case:

1) The chime that sounds for your seatbelt, door ajar w/key in, headlight left on, etc. doesn't work but I can hear a relay clicking to the same rhythm as what the chime should. From my research this is the IPC that controls it and is likely faulty needing repaired or replaced. Does anyone know who could repair this? I would rather go this way than trying to source a replacement but will do whatever is necessary. Please let me know if you disagree with my conclusion. I also know some people will comment that they hate the chime and wouldn't fix it but I guess I am weird and actually appreciate the reminder. What can I say other than I have been conditioned over the years to rely on it.

2) My HUD is dim during the day but appears normal at night. I have tried the dash dimmer switch and it works correctly and dims all the interior lights for the climate, radio, door controls, etc. but doesn't affect the HUD. The dimmer switch on the HUD controls seems to work correctly going from off to a nice visible level for night time driving. Unfortunately this level of brightness makes it barely visible during the day. Turning the headlight or driving lights on/off does not alter the brightness level which I assume it should. Basically it appears that the HUD is stuck in a nighttime only mode. I have read countless threads about bad dimmer switches, projectors going bad, lenses that move, but none of these scenarios seem to match my situation.

Is there any chance that either of these are related since they are both related to the gauge cluster? Please feel free to help weigh in on either problem. Also for clarification I have the interior gutted right now and the cluster removed.

Thanks in advance to helping out!

Last edited by jarero; 06-20-2017 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Old 06-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by jarero
A little back story first....

I picked up a bargain priced high mile 99 C5 coupe last year and haven't driven it since the test drive so I have limited experience behind the wheel. My intention from the begging was to fix it up some starting with an interior refresh. Well due to some unforeseen circumstance I have had many delays getting to the point I am at now.

I have two issues that I don't think are related but I am including them together just in case:

1) The chime that sounds for your seatbelt, door ajar w/key in, headlight left on, etc. doesn't work but I can hear a relay clicking to the same rhythm as what the chime should. From my research this is the IPC that controls it and is likely faulty needing repaired or replaced. Does anyone know who could repair this? I would rather go this way than trying to source a replacement but will do whatever is necessary. Please let me know if you disagree with my conclusion. I also know some people will comment that they hate the chime and wouldn't fix it but I guess I am weird and actually appreciate the reminder. What can I say other than I have been conditioned over the years to rely on it.

2) My HUD is dim during the day but appears normal at night. I have tried the dash dimmer switch and it works correctly and dims all the interior lights for the climate, radio, door controls, etc. but doesn't affect the HUD. The dimmer switch on the HUD controls seems to work correctly going from off to a nice visible level for night time driving. Unfortunately this level of brightness makes it barely visible during the day. Turning the headlight or driving lights on/off does not alter the brightness level which I assume it should. Basically it appears that the HUD is stuck in a nighttime only mode. I have read countless threads about bad dimmer switches, projectors going bad, lenses that move, but none of these scenarios seem to match my situation.

Is there any chance that either of these are related since they are both related to the gauge cluster? Please feel free to help weigh in on either problem. Also for clarification I have the interior gutted right now and the cluster removed.

Thanks in advance to helping out!
I don't think anything is wrong with your hud. Mine is great at night but is hard to see on bright days. I just think that is how it is.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:16 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I am selling my IPC from my 99 although it doesn't have HUD but I think they are all interchangeable as the spots are there for the controls....just in case you decide to go that way..good luck
Old 06-21-2017, 12:35 AM
94LT1VETTER
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that the car didn't come with the HUD and so the windshield would not have the special film I think the HUD equipped cars do? Maybe the previous owner added the HUD.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 94LT1VETTER
Is it possible that the car didn't come with the HUD and so the windshield would not have the special film I think the HUD equipped cars do? Maybe the previous owner added the HUD.
Could be possible but I doubt it. My 04 came equipped with HUD and there is a noticeable difference when it used during the day and at night. I do believe that's normal
Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 AM
jarero
Advanced

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Could be possible but I doubt it. My 04 came equipped with HUD and there is a noticeable difference when it used during the day and at night. I do believe that's normal
Thanks for the information. It sounds like the HUD should dim when you turn on your headlights if I read this correctly. Any ideas what would prevent this? Also how would I verify if I have HUD glass? Thanks
Old 06-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Also how would I verify if I have HUD glass? Thanks
---------
Look on the passenger side lower corner of the windshield & you should see the AP logo with the words "HUD Solar Ray" if it's an OEM HUD windshield.
The following users liked this post:
jarero (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There is an AMBIANT LIGHT sensor on the IPC. Look in your owners manual and it will show you where it is. COVER & UNCOVER it to see if it makes a difference in the lighting. It should. When you cover it, the lighting should DIM and uncovered should get brighter.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
jarero (06-21-2017), SilverC54me (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 05:43 PM
jarero
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mickeyrx70
---------
Look on the passenger side lower corner of the windshield & you should see the AP logo with the words "HUD Solar Ray" if it's an OEM HUD windshield.
Will do, thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
There is an AMBIANT LIGHT sensor on the IPC. Look in your owners manual and it will show you where it is. COVER & UNCOVER it to see if it makes a difference in the lighting. It should. When you cover it, the lighting should DIM and uncovered should get brighter.

Bill
Good information and good call, I will give this a shot and see what happens. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:37 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
I don't think anything is wrong with your hud. Mine is great at night but is hard to see on bright days. I just think that is how it is.
and it's even worse when wearing polarized sunglasses.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:24 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

IMO I think you're on the right track.

If you can find someone with a tech 2 they can select IPC special functions and command all IPC chime functions.
If the chime doesn't sound, the recommendation is to replace or hopefully repair the IPC. The fact that the relay is clicking would seem to indicate that the BCM is sending the signal to the IPC to sound the chime, but the relay, chime, or circuit between the two is bad. I don't know if anyone repairs them but that's not to say somebody doesn't.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:53 PM
jarero
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the ideas and help so far. I did verify that the windshield is the correct HUD glass so I can check that one off the list. I am dealing with a weak battery right now so I need to get a decent charge on it to test the ambient light sensor and determine if that is working.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:23 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by AE Guy
and it's even worse when wearing polarized sunglasses.
I found that out today. With polarized sunglasses, the HUD nearly disapperars.

Get notified of new replies

To Issues with IPC and HUD

Quick Reply: Issues with IPC and HUD