C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No head lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:20 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

Default No head lights

Installed C5 Corvette 1997-2004 HID Headlight Low Beam Conversion Kit from CorvetteMods.com
Headlight went nuts, one opened -one closed - then opened half way, closed half way, then one close , bla bla bla...... then only opened when I pulled back on the low/high switch,, then they would open close when I pulled back on the on off switch but no lights-high or low. They would light if I held the handle back, then off when released....OK enough of this... removed all the junk-never again.. Disconnected all that BS and plugged in the factory bulbs. &*^%(*)*&*R NO F*(&^$% head lights at all..checked fuses. Good...All the other light are fine. Turn on the lights and nothing --high or low. If I pull back on the switch they open, but no lights. twist the **** they close. Again, pull back on the **** and they light. Release they go out.. Any body else had this problem, and what was the fix. Will not be using the light kits-never, but need to fix the problem..No head lights. Thanks for your input & help
mike v

Last edited by mike venth; 06-20-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 AM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

No head lights UPDATE: Put factory lights back in,, but will only light up or open doors when I turn them on then pull back on the light/blinker arm. but lights go off when I release the arm, doors stay open. When the switch is in the on position -I only have 0.02 VDC at the fuse box under the hood.

Last edited by mike venth; 06-21-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Doors

Name:  C52002HeadlightDoorcircuit_zps0c3111be.gif
Views: 525
Size:  50.7 KB

Headlights:

Name:  C5HeadLightSchematic.gif
Views: 502
Size:  49.8 KB
Old 06-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Name:  C51998FOGLights.gif
Views: 585
Size:  62.3 KB

I will have to look in the service manual for the multifunction switch schematic.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
mike venth (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 07:50 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

think the issue is actually the Multi Function Stalk which is a well known failure point in the C5.
Will check for power in and out----I think 8vette7 and Bill Cullee knowledge will help me find and repair.....Thanks guys..
mike v
Old 06-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I will have to look in the service manual for the multifunction switch schematic.

Bill
I might be able to help with that.
2001 MFS Headlamp Control
Attached Images  
mike venth (06-21-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 10:20 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Any further progress?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The TRIANGLES (A) & (B) go to the TRIANGLES (A) & (B) on the other schematics that I provided.

The circuit breaker can be swapped with some of the other circuit breakers. I don't know if the relay can be matched up with other relays in other locations.

You should be able check for power into and out of all the components..
Old 06-26-2017, 04:10 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

I'm looking at the headlight control module also, but not sure were it is located. Need some advice to were I should be looking.
Thanks

mike v
Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mike venth
No head lights UPDATE: Put factory lights back in,, but will only light up or open doors when I turn them on then pull back on the light/blinker arm. but lights go off when I release the arm, doors stay open. When the switch is in the on position -I only have 0.02 VDC at the fuse box under the hood.
So from what you're describing it looks like the Flash To Pass circuit is working. If that works the circuit breaker CB54 is good.
Try this.
If you have twilight sentinel option and have it turned off, turn it on and when you cover the sensor on the dash. Relay 44, Automatic Light Control in the I/P fuse box should pull in. This will provide an alternate path for power to the multi-function switch for the high and low beams. If the lights work you're not getting power to the headlamp switch in the MFS when the R44 ALC is off.
If lights still don't work, check for 12V at pin W of the multifunction switch (Always Hot) If you don't have it, you have an open between
there and the circuit breaker. If you do, then check pin L with the headlight switch ON . That is power through the switch to the Under Hood Electrical Center.

Where are you checking for power in the UHEC? Remember that you will only have power to the low beam fuses when the headlight switch is ON (triangle B on the schematics) and high beams are not selected on the MFS. Turning the high beams ON cuts power to the low beams and brings power to the high beam fuses(triangle A).

Last edited by Greg_E; 06-27-2017 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Greg_E
So from what you're describing it looks like the Flash To Pass circuit is working.
Try this.
If you have twilight sentinel option and have it turned off, turn it on and when you cover the sensor on the dash. Relay 44, Automatic Light Control in the I/P fuse box should pull in. This will provide an alternate path for power to the multi-function switch for the high and low beams. If the lights work you're not getting power to the headlamp switch in the MFS when the R44 ALC is off.
If lights still don't work, check for 12V at pin W of the multifunction switch (Always Hot) If you don't have it, you have an open between
there and the circuit breaker. If you do, then check pin L with the headlight switch ON . That is power through the switch to the Under Hood Electrical Center.
Where are you checking for power in the UHEC?
I will try those tests tomorrow... Thanks for the info......
Also; when I put in the new light system I made the wires to tight. It pulled out the high beam on the driver side when The doors closed, and jammed the passenger side door slightly. I will run these test and check that I haven't damaged any wires/plugs on the passenger side or the plug to the head lamp control module....
I will report back my findings.
Thanks,, mike v

Last edited by mike venth; 06-26-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:09 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

UPDATE;
1) with twilight on doors open low beams light
2) checked fuse 10, 12, 9, 8, 0.02 vdc
3) head light switch on get door open ding-ding ect...
4) cant tell which pin is W but red is hot always
5) cant tell witch pin is L but both white wires show 0.02 -switch on--nothing switch off
checked fuse # 20(replaced) passenger foot well
6) AT MFS with oms nothing (unplugged)- white-tan-green-yellow

From Bill Curlee<br/>Head light control module just controls the doors... Not any lighting. It under the passengers headlight on the front cross frame

Too replace the switch-if bad-do I have to remove the steering wheel?????

Last edited by mike venth; 06-27-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

If the lights are working correctly with the twilight sentinel then you either have no power at pin W which feeds the manual control of the of the headlights or that portion of the multifunction switch is not working and you are not getting power to the fuses for the high and low beams. There are two red wires pin W and Pin X. We know pin X has power because Flash To Pass works. I will post more a little later. Dinner time.

Last edited by Greg_E; 06-27-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

If the low beams and doors are working in Twilight Mode then you must have power at pin L. You can also check to see if the high beams are working moving the stalk to the high beam position. . The easiest way to check would be to pull the high and low beam fuses and measure the input side of the fuse sockets to a good ground when relay R44 is energized (sensor covered).
If you uncover the sensor and repeat the test with R44 off, and the lights and doors don't work, then you either have no power at pin W or the OFF/Park/Headlamp portion of the MFS is not working.

I recently posted a link to replacing the MFS or fixing the MFS. I'll see if I can find it.
mike venth (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 07:01 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Greg E red wire has same as battery 12.48 Tan wire from switch has o switch off, and 0.02 switch on- same as hood fuse's...I only see one RED wire coming from the connector Black with Blue holders in pic above..RED wire has 12.48 switch off and 12.30 switch on.
ALSO if switch is bad do I have to pull steering wheel?? Looks like it!!
mike v
Old 06-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Go to post 6 in this thread for switch replacement procedure.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ght-issue.html

When you turned on the twilight sentinel and covered the sensor the doors opened and the low beams came on. Is that correct?

Last edited by Greg_E; 06-27-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:45 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Go to post 6 in this thread for switch replacement procedure.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ght-issue.html

When you turned on the twilight sentinel and cover the sensorthe doors opened and the low beams came on. Is that correct?
Yes sir...Sorry for the slow reply. Chasing Deer from the Garden lol

Last edited by mike venth; 06-27-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To No head lights

Old 06-27-2017, 08:08 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Here is the power circuit when Twilight circuit is on. This works.

The second marked up schematic is low beam power in manual operation mode.
That is not working so you have an open between E4 of the I/P fuse Block and C209 pin L. Most likely the Off Park HDL switch, but you will need to verify that. The MFS switch has more than one connector. I'm not sure you are checking the correct one. I'm looking for the C209 connector end view but so far I haven't found it.
Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2017, 08:21 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Here is the power circuit when Twilight circuit is on. This works.

The second marked up schematic is low beam power in manual operation mode.
That is not working so you have an open between E4 of the I/P fuse Block and C209 pin L. Most likely the Off Park HDL switch, but you will need to verify that. The MFS switch has more than one connector. I'm not sure you are checking the correct one. I'm looking for the C209 connector end view but so far I haven't found it.
Thanks Greg E will do tomorrow - And reply back....
Note: Parking light are all working-------no hi/low beem
Old 06-27-2017, 08:37 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

If the park lights are working, the common and park contacts are good but the Headlamp contact is not making a connection with the common when you turn the switch. Bill or 8VETTE7 if you have anything to add, please do. I am by no means an expert on this.

Here is the C209 inline connector end view.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Greg_E; 06-27-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: No head lights