C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement tire pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:46 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts
Default Replacement tire pressure sensor

Can I use any TP sensor as long as its 315 MHz? I see a range of prices from around $30.00 to over $100.00. After installation is it simply a matter of "training" the sensor ala magnet around the stem?

What is the most popular brand used by members of CF?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
C5 sensors are year range specific. The 1997 - 2000 all use the same sensors and they are NOT interchangeable with the sensors for year range 2001 - 2004.

Unfortunately the early year sensors are much more expensive than the later year range sensors. Most aftermarket sensors use a technique for tripping the sensor during training that is different than the technique used for Schreader or Delco brand sensors. Some require brand specific electronics that trip the sensor and others require letting air out of the tire to trip the sensor. Many folk that purchase aftermarket brands give up trying to train them to the car and a few others end up being successful.

I personally use Schrader brand on my 04.

Here is the training procedure for Schrader and Delco brand TPMS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOM96f3Iy6E

Good luck with your decision on which brand to purchase........

VERY WELL SUMERISED! I agree!

Bill

Quick Reply: Replacement tire pressure sensor