C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:14 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts
Default power steering pulley

so now what?

at least i dont have to worry about removing the pulley anymore. is there any chance i will get the hub off in the car?

i have already kinked one of the ps hardlines trying to get the abs out of the way. i have seen a thread where they say yes, but that was with the pulley on.

the pulley is thin bakelite, incredible they put this piece of ... on our cars. i just got the ls2+ pulley on ebay.
Attached Images   

Last edited by romandian; 08-20-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:00 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

since it's screwed you might as well just remove the pump and do it off the car, it would be easier that way in my opinion... it's only 3 bolts that are now easily accessible since the pulley is gone and disconnect the line
Old 08-20-2017, 06:33 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
since it's screwed you might as well just remove the pump and do it off the car, it would be easier that way in my opinion... it's only 3 bolts that are now easily accessible since the pulley is gone and disconnect the line

I bought the metal, LS2 pulley, that there's been much discussion about. I, like the OP, read that you can get the ABS unit to drop down enough by removing the bolts that hold it, and then get a pulley remover in place.

WRONG-O!!!!

I got my hands on a Kent-Moore GM power steering pulley removal tool, and thought I was golden. Problem #1, no matter what I did, I couldn't get the ABS unit to drop out of the way. Therefore, #2, there's was NO WAY that I was going to get the pulley removing tool on the pulley.

I was about to give up, then decided that there was no way this was going to defeat me. I removed the alternator, sucked the fluid from the reservoir, disconnected the high pressure line from the steering rack, remover the fluid reservoir, then removed the remaining bolts from the pump, and took the pump completely off the car.

I then tried to remove the pulley, using the removal tool. As has been found by others, the pulley is on the pump shaft SO tight, that the tool broke the outer ring off the hub of the pulley. I then drilled several holes in the pulley to weaken it, and then used a 3 jaw puller, to "break it off". I then took a cut off tool, to "skim" the remaining hub off, so it would then slide off.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:47 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I was able to get a puller on mine with the ebcm in place but I got lucky and the pulley didn't break... but seeing the predicament the op is now in it would probably be easier to take the pump out so he can work on the bench
Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 AM
romandian
Drifting

so i made a puller out of tool steel and got it done. i only managed to breake it loose after i put the bearing ball in there.

the m12 8.8 bolt was yielding, which means around 100 nm and 50 kn of force. i wanted to harden the "nut" and use a 12.9 bolt, but i can only get those with an allen head. no idea how that would have worked between the brake lines down there. so after three bolts and some high pressure lube:
Attached Images   
Old 08-22-2017, 11:05 AM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Kudos to you for getting that done. Pretty sure I'd lose my temper working with something like that. What is the advantage of the LS2 pulley?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:35 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by twokbolt
Kudos to you for getting that done. Pretty sure I'd lose my temper working with something like that. What is the advantage of the LS2 pulley?

The LS2 pulley is all steel, AND, ta-da, is of a "spoked" design, so if you ever need to remove the pump, you can simply slip a socket wrench through the openings in the pulley, and access the retaining bolts.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:23 PM
romandian
Drifting

well, the most frustrating experience was actually when i droped one of the halves and spent about an hour in total looking for it.

btw, i wonder how the new pulley will go on. if it needs 5 tons of pressure the 3/8 bolt wont like it.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:39 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by romandian
well, the most frustrating experience was actually when i droped one of the halves and spent about an hour in total looking for it.

btw, i wonder how the new pulley will go on. if it needs 5 tons of pressure the 3/8 bolt wont like it.
I was able to "draw" mine on with no drama...........
Old 09-04-2017, 02:32 PM
romandian
Drifting

so i got the new pulley (gm 12568997) and managed to put it on. i can confirm two things. the pulley it exactly the same size as the original. ( i was hoping it would be a little smaller to get more belt wrap.) when its flush in front its well aligned. i have a laser.

Get notified of new replies

To power steering pulley

Quick Reply: power steering pulley