C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud clicking... Could it be throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Loud clicking... Could it be throttle body?

Loud clicking noise on cold start... not consistent and not with rpm and goes away after about a minute. Looking around could not see anything obvious. Afterwards I considered something pertaining to the throttle body/plate. Next time it happens I will focus in this area.

Anyone ever experience clicking from the TB?

It drives fine. Most times I cold start I use the flood feature to crank for about 10sec to prime oil cooler.

2001 coupe
Old 08-26-2017, 11:12 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

From the TB? Maybe, but not likely. The only thing I could think of on the TB that would make any noise would be if the throttle plate screws were loose but that would probably make noise all the time. I would lean towards valve train noise that goes away after the car warms up or maybe possibly something in the belt/pulley area. GL with your search. Keep us posted. Maybe take a video so we could hear it????
Old 08-26-2017, 11:54 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Probably a lifter making noise. Esp on a cold start, then goes away.
You are prob just hearing it reverberate in that area
Old 08-27-2017, 12:15 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Yeah, seems unlikely... just checking. I do have valvetrain noises, but this is very different and loud, like something's stuck in the fans (but there's not). I'll pull the VCs soon and wiggle stuff.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:12 AM
Brackets
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

It is possible that it could be the TB. Next time you hear it just grab the TB motor on the side. You'll know right away if that's it.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:15 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Seems its coming from the compressor with AC on. I just did one of those recharge can thingys and noise showed up after. It goes away after about a min and not constant within that min... so we won't worry until AC goes out again
Old 08-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Joshboody
Seems its coming from the compressor with AC on. I just did one of those recharge can thingys and noise showed up after. It goes away after about a min and not constant within that min... so we won't worry until AC goes out again
LOL!! Put a gage on the suction side of the system and observe the suction side pressure when the noise happens. If you have an overcharge condition, the compressor can make a clicking noise. Especially on first start up! The suction side will oscillate with the noise.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:51 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
LOL!! Put a gage on the suction side of the system and observe the suction side pressure when the noise happens. If you have an overcharge condition, the compressor can make a clicking noise. Especially on first start up! The suction side will oscillate with the noise.
Thanks Bill!
By suction side, if you mean low pressure... I was still way low (according to the can gauge) after emptying the can. Around 30-ish psi at 110deg ambient, which called for like 45psi min.

I can reuse that gauge and if high, guess I just relieve pressure through the low pressure schrader valve?
Old 08-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Joshboody
Thanks Bill!
By suction side, if you mean low pressure... I was still way low (according to the can gauge) after emptying the can. Around 30-ish psi at 110deg ambient, which called for like 45psi min.

I can reuse that gauge and if high, guess I just relieve pressure through the low pressure schrader valve?
Suction = Low Side

If you were around 30, it could be the compressor CLUTCH cycling due to the pressure being very very close to the low pressure cutout spec. When you hear the noise, see what the compressor clutch is doing.

Bill.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:06 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Ok, so likely need to add refrigerant. I added a 20oz can and doing a quick search seems system prob holds closer to 30oz.

Get notified of new replies

To Loud clicking... Could it be throttle body?

Quick Reply: Loud clicking... Could it be throttle body?