C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New suspension and loctite

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 07:11 AM
yellowshark454
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New suspension and loctite

Hi I am about to start the process of renewing the suspension on my 152,000 miler 2001 C5. I have owned the car since new so know what I have and my ordered parts are now arriving from America.

Just wondering if there is anything you guys would not use Loctite on. The parts involved are front and rear sway bars and links, springs and shocks. Oh and it looks likes I will need to loosen/remove some bolts on the control arm(s).

Also I plan on re-using the existing bolts/nuts apart from the rear spring height adjustment bolts.

I note that the FSM says to discard the front spring retaining bolts – is that necessary? I have searched the net but cannot find any new bolts for the 2001 apart from the fashionable longer height adjustment bolts.

TIA
Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

My understanding is that the front bolts are only available as part of the front spring assembly. You might try a place like Vette Brakes & Products who make aftermarket springs to see if they have a source for the bolt otherwise you likely will have to re-use the originals.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:48 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I would hold off on the Loctite, on the parts that you mentioned. However, if you feel the need to use it, the "red" Loctite formula is for parts that you don't really want to come unscrewed....EVER. The "blue" Loctite isn't as permanent......
Old 10-13-2017, 09:56 AM
yellowshark454
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I will hold off and only maybe use the Blue for those front spring re-used bolts.

Get notified of new replies

To New suspension and loctite

Quick Reply: New suspension and loctite