C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Smells Like Gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:53 PM
MiniOctavious
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Smells Like Gas

Hey y’all,

I have a 1999 Corvette 5.7.

Today while driving, I had a low oil level message come up on the dash. I stopped at AutoZone to grab oil to at least make it to the shop. I pulled the dip stick out to check the level and observed a little bit of white smoke coming from the stick. I then removed the oil reservoir cap and noticed a little more smoke. I could smell fuel on the oil cap and the rag I wiped the oil on. Needless to say it’s at the shop now, but was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

What is it?

Is it a common issue with this car?

is it expensive to fix?

Any information is appreciated!
Thank you ahead of time!
-Alex
Old 10-17-2017, 09:01 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

I don't think that was a low oil level but low oil pressure. Gas in oil reduces viscosity. It will kill your bearing. Fuel can get into oil by things like stuck injector. You need to change oil before you run it anymore.

Last edited by juanvaldez; 10-17-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 PM
MiniOctavious
Intermediate

The level was slightly low, but I didn’t think it was enough to make a light come on. The car has 72,000 miles. I just bought it about a month ago, so I’m fairly new to the car. If an injector is clogged does it need to be replaced, or does it just need to be flushed and an oil change.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:11 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

change your oil and filter. Could just be condensation in oil...
short trips, or even not changing the oil enough will cause this.
You need to change your filters and fluids to get a baseline on your "new" car
Old 10-17-2017, 09:11 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Ya... You need to take the lead shoes off. I bet if you drove it nice and easy most of the time your oil wouldn't have gasoline in it. Nothing wrong with the car. Just your driving habits.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:12 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniOctavious
The level was slightly low, but I didn’t think it was enough to make a light come on. The car has 72,000 miles. I just bought it about a month ago, so I’m fairly new to the car. If an injector is clogged does it need to be replaced, or does it just need to be flushed and an oil change.
Don't know about the source but gas in your oil is an engine killer. You need to have the oil changed right away. Then find out where the gas is coming from.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 PM
MiniOctavious
Intermediate

As far as driving goes, I don’t not driving it hard. I will have the oil changed as well.
Thanks!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniOctavious
As far as driving goes, I don’t not driving it hard. I will have the oil changed as well.
Thanks!
Send your old oil to Blackstone labs and get an OA. Take the sample mid stream. I usually have like 4% fuel in my oil. I beat on my car sometimes. Ask them to do fuel by gas chromatography. (GC fuel method) ICP results will tell you if you have ring wear which can contribute to your fuel dilution. Actually it will tell you a hell of a lot of things. I never used Blackstone before, but i did work in a private lab with the ability to test such things.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Smells Like Gas

Quick Reply: Oil Smells Like Gas