C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unconventional seat rock

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,225 Likes on 13,932 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moving this over to C5 Tech.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:12 PM
Cherry3m
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Watching. I recently replaced the bushings with nylon washers, but I still have some movement.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:52 AM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts

I ordered their clevis repair kit a few weeks ago. I haven't installed it yet, but we'll see if it helps. I definitely remember them looking pretty chewed up, though the seat height adjustment still seems to work.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:12 PM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Seat frame and control rod connection?

Originally Posted by jrp1588
Yeah, I figured the description would be next to useless. There are a lot of moving parts down there. There are only 4 bolts that tighten the seat frame to the rail, and I made sure to get all of those good and tight. I feel like it has something to do with the little arms that adjust the seat height (which is also where the seat frame bolts on). The front left arm turned a lot more easily than the left, though it didn't seem to have any slop like one of the hinge holes had gotten reamed out or something.
I’ve had these sport seats apart and I have 3 sets one set I’ve dismantled drivers seat for parts I can see if all four ears are worn
you’d get rocking or movement. That takes some abuse I don’t see in my seat after 115K miles.
I had my cushions replaced at 50K they were shot. Now again at 120K just the drivers is shot but you can’t do one.
I did replace washers the set I took apart for parts and if I did it again I’d do one side at a time.
My seat is a memory sport seat and C&S Corvette had it completely apart to change the anti rock plastic washers and trace all the wires to end the electrical problem finding a couple broken wires.
My point i bought the car 10 years ago with 4K. The owner was my size bout 170 6’. Ray at C&S checked and showed me the clevis’s and ears were in excellent condition and I’ve put 115K more miles on it. The two sets of seats I bought were very beat. One of the drivers seats had carpet fibers stopping and cracking the clevis Understandable.
The other drivers seat had a broken clevis and a cracked ear. I can garuntee the owner of the broken set was a big big guy. I don’t understand how that much damage can happen to the seats moving parts in general. Hey me 170 lbs. a light weight? I guess for a vet. After replacing the washers you shouldn’t have any movement. They are fitted by sanding on a flat surface.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:26 PM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Pictures

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
Following. My power tracks have the exact same problem in the same area, I replaced them with manual sliders as a fix. I'd like to put the power back in, but don't want to give up on the rigidity.
It looks like in the pictures the ear or rod retainer bracket rivets are loose or is that the shadow?? Loose rivets could be the cause of loose ears and movement. I don’t know who sat or used these seats but you’d have t use em for bar stools sellin 25cent beers to wear out those four connections.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you need 4 kits from them to fix 2 seats?
Old 03-13-2018, 09:44 AM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Seat kits from C&S Corvette Sarasota.

Hi. Caveman. Yes you need 4 kits. Before I found C&S Corvette Sarasota FL. I ordered a rocking seat repair kit on eBay 10 washers 2 extras. You need 4 for each seat. for less than 25$ not 139$. It’s 4 plastic washers. they’re a little big so sand them down on a flat surface and that ends the rocking seats. That’s the parts 4 Plastic washers. Only difference is C&S kit is square washers that fit inside the track are square and the 25$ kit washers are round.
Youll never find a better Aluminum Clevis repair kit than C&S builds along with there advice. Someone who used Lyles video stated a 6th grader could understand how to replace the Clevis’s
Talking to Lyle Steve & Ray and having my 2002 c5 at C&S is like going back in time when people said I do that &They do that! They do it right.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:48 AM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Hey Caveboy

not caveman.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:07 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Caveboy
Do you need 4 kits from them to fix 2 seats?
No, each seat takes 2 clevises, and each kit contains 2 clevises.........
Old 03-13-2018, 11:30 AM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 2 clevis kits and 2 anti rock kits

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
No, each seat takes 2 clevises, and each kit contains 2 clevises.........
Thanks for detailing that destail yes 2 clevis kits & 2 antirock sest kits.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

I contacted C&S Corvettes, the maker of the repair kit I bought, and they suggested the plastic clevises on the seat height adjusters are worn out, which allows some play in the seat height adjustment (which seems consistent with how it feels). I do recall them looking a bit distorted when I had it all apart. Parts aren't exactly cheap though.

https://www.corvettepartscenter.com/...te-parts-97-04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqghxFKhU5Q
This kit fixes one seat $139.99 That is SHOCKING!!
However, I sure don't want to fix this kind of crap even one time. So am glad to spend the extra bucks for parts that last. Besides which, if I do some research and get proven parts I don't have to solve these problems from scratch.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:56 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
This kit fixes one seat $139.99 That is SHOCKING!!
However, I sure don't want to fix this kind of crap even one time. So am glad to spend the extra bucks for parts that last. Besides which, if I do some research and get proven parts I don't have to solve these problems from scratch.
I do agree that the price for these parts isn't cheap, but being a low-volume, somewhat complex part to machine, I sort of understand their cost. And I also agree about getting parts in my car that will last.

I'm not 100% sure if the OE plastic pieces that are in my car now, especially the driver's seat, are broken, but I do have some unusual wiggling in the seat. I replaced the OE rubber "washers" in the track mechanism, 3-4 years ago, so I know it's not that.

Therefore, yesterday, I ordered two sets of these clevises, for both seats.
The following users liked this post:
Sam Handwich (03-14-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 10:26 PM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default C5 seats

I do agree that the price for these parts isn't cheap, but being a low-volume, somewhat complex part to machine, I sort of understand their cost. And I also agree about getting parts in my car that will last.

I'm not 100% sure if the OE plastic pieces that are in my car now, especially the driver's seat, are broken, but I do have some unusual wiggling in the seat. I replaced the OE rubber "washers" in the track mechanism, 3-4 years ago, so I know it's not that.

Therefore, yesterday, I ordered two sets of these clevises, for both seats.
I was at C&S today picking up my C5. The anti rock kit is 77$ Per seat Includes a H. D. Aluminum rod bracket & fastener, square washers

https://www.corvettepartscenter.com/...s-side-1997-04
Old 03-16-2018, 01:38 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

.........Therefore, yesterday, I ordered two sets of these clevises, for both seats.
They just arrived....very quick shipping! Sadly, there's no way I'm attempting this repair for a little while, yet. It's all of about 25-30*F, out in the garage. These clevises do look quite substantial, however.
The following users liked this post:
Sam Handwich (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:39 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

They just arrived....very quick shipping! Sadly, there's no way I'm attempting this repair for a little while, yet. It's all of about 25-30*F, out in the garage. These clevises do look quite substantial, however.
I plan to do the job over the weekend. I'm only doing driver's side though.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:11 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by km60sb@yahoo.com
I was at C&S today picking up my C5. The anti rock kit is 77$ Per seat Includes a H. D. Aluminum rod bracket & fastener, square washers

https://www.corvettepartscenter.com/...s-side-1997-04
I just took a look at that kit, as I was thinking that since I have to take the seat out of the car, and partially disassemble it, and I'd like to "bulletproof" the seats, once and for all.....

HOWEVER, after looking at this kit, "$77 per seat" isn't quite accurate. The other kit includes 2 clevises (clevi??), because there are two motors that control 2 movements of the seat mechanism, hence the $140 of that kit.

This other kit (linked above) only includes one rod bracket, because, according to the C&S video, even though there are two rod brackets in the seat, usually only one breaks, and only one of the improved brackets should be enough to do the job. Therefore, the kit includes only one bracket.

I don't know, because as I said, I'd like to make sure that I completely eliminate ANY possibility of rocking seats. Therefore, in order to do this, I'd have to order the "super-duper" kit, which includes four brackets, to do both seats, and that is about $240.......a tad more than $77.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:24 PM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I plan to do the job over the weekend. I'm only doing driver's side though.
Man no way I could keep my Vett without Corvette Forum. Thousand a Thanks.
can you remove the seat and bring it in the house to work on it? A 12 volt charger will keep it moving. At
C&S Lyle called me asked if I wanted the functions fixed when he was re Upostering the seat. He found and soldered two broken wires in the harness connecting the SCM.
so reasonable and everything works like new. To bad I just found C&S on utube videos and now will have my C5 back to them for shocks and simulators. Think they’re KYB? That sound right. Any opinions? Thanks 4 listnin t Ramblering

I have a Reznior in my garage & keep it above freezing. Chicago gets cold & I used to? driving it everyday? I learned don’t drive it in 30sF & below. Taking it out on a -25 minus day I caused a front trans shaft one day 2 drops maybe Auto trans fluid. Waiting till it got over freezing to drive it after that and 2 years later Bredermann Chevy replaced the trans seal claiming to do that without dropping the trans or rear end. Dealers also have pumps that replace as it drains leaving it 3 quarts low requiring the Auto trans cars to be started and left running in gear untill operating temperature. The car is shut off and the 3 quarts are added filling the C5s automatic trans. I burned rubber going back to the dealer quoted 1/2 the price for differential and auto trans seals. Because I went to the Chevy dealer last not one shop had any idea what they were talking about.

Get notified of new replies

To Unconventional seat rock

Old 03-16-2018, 06:42 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by km60sb@yahoo.com
[left]....can you remove the seat and bring it in the house to work on it? A 12 volt charger will keep it moving.
I understand what you're getting at, but realistically, I'd have to negotiate the seat through two doors. One from the garage to the house, and then one to go down to the basement. Plus, I'd have to get the seat down the stairs, then back up. Doing that, I'd probably wind up A) scuffing the seats; B) scuffing up something(s) in the house; or C) messing up my back.

With age, comes experience. I'll wait until things warm up a little. I'll also take the time to consider spending another $240, to purchase the second "repair kit".........
Old 03-17-2018, 03:26 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Replaced both of the clevises in the driver's seat today. When you go to do this, use a slightly larger drill bit than provided. I ended up snapping off the supplied screw in the threaded rod because the hole was too tight. After losing a chunk of my life extracting the screw, things went fairly well after that.

Unfortunately, those one of the clevises was clearly on its way out, this hasn't fixed the issue. There's still an abnormal amount of play if I lean back into my seat. The one side of track I noted at the beginning of the thread also still has play in it, but I'm not positive it's the culprit since the amount of play there feels considerably less than what I'm getting when I actually sit in the seat.

I kind of wonder if I didn't tighten the clevises enough and they're allowing this play, but they were binding up when I tested the seat functions with them tighter. I'm nearly ready to cut my losses and start looking at aftermarket seats.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Replaced both of the clevises in the driver's seat today. When you go to do this, use a slightly larger drill bit than provided. I ended up snapping off the supplied screw in the threaded rod because the hole was too tight. After losing a chunk of my life extracting the screw, things went fairly well after that.

Unfortunately, those one of the clevises was clearly on its way out, this hasn't fixed the issue. There's still an abnormal amount of play if I lean back into my seat. The one side of track I noted at the beginning of the thread also still has play in it, but I'm not positive it's the culprit since the amount of play there feels considerably less than what I'm getting when I actually sit in the seat.

I kind of wonder if I didn't tighten the clevises enough and they're allowing this play, but they were binding up when I tested the seat functions with them tighter. I'm nearly ready to cut my losses and start looking at aftermarket seats.
I seem to remember that there is some slack in the adjuster mechanism (threaded rod and motor-driven components) that are a factor. It is one of those things that is fixable, but takes lots of head-scratching to figure out.
Thanks for posting. And good luck with your further adventures.

Quick Reply: Unconventional seat rock