C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely puzzled. 2004 z06 not starting but only after filling up

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jimgessner
MY BEST GUESS IS CHECK THE VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM. Also the gas cap. If it does not seal properly, the car will not start and run. When fueling, the vapors must go back into the tank for recycle. And 04's have two tanks. If not, things don't work. And when you just drive it normal all is good. Emission Control systems can answer the question, and any good tech with a dyno and diagnostic tool can check. Dealer also.See if any codes have been thrown in your computer.

The OPs issue is the engine will not CRANK. I state again! There is NOT any correlation between the fuel system and the engine cranking.

Has any one EVER run out of fuel?? You can crank the engine till the battery is DEAD but, it will still crank. Fuel level does NOT have any limits on engine cranking!!

OP

Until you inspect/clean/tighten ALL the electrical connections between the battery terminals and the starter solenoid (and that includes the engine block ground), you can NOT begin resolving this issue.

Like I and several others have stated, the starter solenoid is the P R I M E suspect here. The solenoid fails exactly like you are experiencing.

If it were ME, I would replace the starter solenoid and or starter unit (because the starter MUST be removed to replace the solenoid).

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-19-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Completely puzzled. 2004 z06 not starting but only after filling up