C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 head question

Old 02-15-2018, 07:24 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default C5 head question

I just spent a day installing Helicoils in the head of my wife's 2004 Olds Alero. The studs that hold the rocker arm assembly onto the head pulled out, Has anyone had the same problem with their C5 ??
Old 02-15-2018, 10:00 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 91 Posts

You could get this on LS1/LS6 heads, but I doubt its very common.
You'd need a HUGE cam to put that stress on the rocker system.. And anyone
who would be in that range would have already updated to a rocker stud type system .
On a pushrod V8, you just have one valve per stud/bolt.
Those aleros engines had lots of head gasket issues too. So probably just a thin casting to start with
Old 02-16-2018, 07:39 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Never on the Corvette. There is a lot of thread engagement with the stock setup. With my aftermarket setup, I made sure I had a long thread engagement as well.

Just to add to the prior post, most of the issues I have seen with LS1/LS6 heads were due to either over tightening, too little thread engagement or cross threading. Reduced thread engagement was typically the result of aftermarket rockers, shims and stock or aftermarket bolts that simply weren't long enough to ensure enough thread engagement.

I did have issues with a Nissan years ago, had to heli-coil several of the rocker threads.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

It's a good idea to rotate the engine so that the cam is on the base circle for the rocker you are tightening. That way you aren't trying to compressor the valve spring with the threads of the rocker bolt. Of course this is easier when the engine is on the stand.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:58 AM
digitaloutsider
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

This is extremely common on the 2001+ 60 degree V6 as they moved to a smaller bolt with fine threads. I had the same issue on a 2004 3400. I bought the Time-Sert kit (VERY highly recommended). It was a bad design on the 3100/3400.

Last edited by digitaloutsider; 02-16-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 head question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 head question