C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floridians, Average cost for shift kit install

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 03:58 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Floridians, Average cost for shift kit install

Hey fellow Floridians

I think its due time I install a shift kit. I bought a transgo HD2 and then realized without a lift and a level way to check the trans fluid when I'm done I am at the mercy of a shop to install it. I got a hold of one guy in Cape coral and he wanted to charge me 500.00

What is the average price now for installing a shift kit? Am I crazy for thinking anything over 200 is a ripoff? The kit only takes about 2.5 hours to install if you take your sweet time. plus 5 quarts of oil and a possible new filter. This is part of the reason I do my own work

the guy had the nerver to tell me "well, you bought a vette not a chevette." I said "so that means just because the same transmission that chevy put in every auto car happens to be on a vette the price doubles? Strangely he never responded. I truly believe some repair shops try and take advantage of people that have no idea.

Anyways any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:47 AM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

The 2 that I paid for (ls1 Camaro and Trans am) $225. After that I started doing them myself. Its a pain on the back but in all well worth it. $500 wow that's a lot.

Last edited by bravo29; 03-16-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:36 AM
midnight01
Pro

Originally Posted by bravo29
The 2 that I paid for (ls1 Camaro and Trans am) $225. After that I started doing them myself. Its a pain on the back but in all well worth it. $500 wow that's a lot.
I have jacks and stuff. Its just getting it level to do the transmission fluid. My driveway slants down too much and the max I can get it in the air wont be enough to pull the valve body clean, I get maybe 6 inches from my head to the pan. I prefer a good foot or two.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:42 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you have ramps?
My driveway slopes a decent amount and when I need the car up and level I drive the front up on the ramps (at the lower end of the driveway) and then jack up and block the rear until everything is level.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:58 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

well if you were closer I would tell you to go to Powertech Performance in St Pete...he is a vendor here
Old 03-20-2018, 09:32 AM
midnight01
Pro

Originally Posted by pewter99
well if you were closer I would tell you to go to Powertech Performance in St Pete...he is a vendor here
St Pete is not that far from me, a good hour or two. I'll check him out, thanks for the tip.

Get notified of new replies

To Floridians, Average cost for shift kit install

Quick Reply: Floridians, Average cost for shift kit install