C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another axle back exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 01:01 PM
STPerry92
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another axle back exhaust question

background info:
2004 z06 50k
vararam
LG motorsports street headers 1 3/4 in ,and x pipe, (no cats) NOT INSTALLED YET.
-TUNE-

So, I'm interested in updating my axle back, I'm really trying to find a specific sound, I feel that most axle backs just make the ls6 sound like a loud motorboat at idle. and decent at higher revs, I'm wanting a more old school muscle car sound, something close to the great loud, popping, cracking of old "boom tubes" from stock cars. any suggestions? I've been looking at videos on YouTube but I feel like the majority I'm seeing have the very boring deep gurgle idle, really don't like it. I feel like the more I look the more it seems I just want a mild cam sound. but aside from that, and my ability to try and describe a sound with written words, any words of encouragement gents?
Old 04-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

My opinion...

I don't think you're going to get the exact sound you're looking for from an LS. A good portion of it is the way the LS fires and the overall package of the car. You'll usually get to the realm of either being incredibly loud (typically with accompanying drone) or not loud enough, but very rarely in between and even then you can typically always tell "it's an LS" due to how it fires.

I would think also that if you're wanting to hear all the sounds the exhaust is making you may remove the mufflers completely or install a muffler that is designed with your sound aspects in mind. An example is that there are more than a few C5s that have cherry-bomb type mufflers installed between the axle back and cross over, then the axle back is straight to tails. The only negatives I could immediately see is you'll probably for sure see more drone and again as it's an LS it's still going to have that "motorboat" type and distinctive LS sound, just a lot louder.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by STPerry92
background info:
2004 z06 50k
vararam
LG motorsports street headers 1 3/4 in ,and x pipe, (no cats) NOT INSTALLED YET.
-TUNE-

So, I'm interested in updating my axle back, I'm really trying to find a specific sound, I feel that most axle backs just make the ls6 sound like a loud motorboat at idle. and decent at higher revs, I'm wanting a more old school muscle car sound, something close to the great loud, popping, cracking of old "boom tubes" from stock cars. any suggestions? I've been looking at videos on YouTube but I feel like the majority I'm seeing have the very boring deep gurgle idle, really don't like it. I feel like the more I look the more it seems I just want a mild cam sound. but aside from that, and my ability to try and describe a sound with written words, any words of encouragement gents?
I have to admit, I like the sound of a FORD mustang with a nice exhaust system. That being said, the LS engine has a firing order that does not make the best old school sound like a mustang does. The burble sound is just something that you need to live with.

YES, you can spice it up to make it like you want it BUT, it will still have the LS Engine gurgle/burble.

Bill
Old 04-10-2018, 03:09 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

LOL! I got distracted at work and delayed my response and Velocity_Vette beat me to the answer!

BC
Old 04-10-2018, 03:49 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

The others are correct. I like Corsa.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:52 PM
STPerry92
Instructor

i gotcha, thanks very much for the replies, i suppose ill just keep looking for an exhaust that changes the idle to my liking, recommendations are welcomed
Old 04-10-2018, 08:14 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by STPerry92
i gotcha, thanks very much for the replies, i suppose ill just keep looking for an exhaust that changes the idle to my liking, recommendations are welcomed
Lots of folks here LOVE Corsas, but I've always found them to be a bit to high pitched in the upper rpms. In fact when I hear someone describe the sound as "exotic", it should tell you everything you need to know.

I personally have GHL Bullets and they sound fantastic, but have some drone.
Unfortunately they are no longer made.

If I had to do it again, I would probably take a real hard look at the new Borla Atak. They are loud, great deep Borla sound, and the newest lineup supposedly has no drone like older Borla Stingers did.

Last edited by imgn tht; 04-10-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:25 PM
STPerry92
Instructor

Originally Posted by imgn tht
Lots of folks here LOVE Corsas, but I've always found them to be a bit to high pitched in the upper rpms. In fact when I hear someone describe the sound as "exotic", it should tell you everything you need to know.

I personally have GHL Bullets and they sound fantastic, but have some drone.
Unfortunately they are no longer made.

If I had to do it again, I would probably take a real hard look at the new Borla Atak. They are loud, great deep Borla sound, and the newest lineup supposedly has no drone like older Borla Stingers did.
i feel like ive watched every top 10 videos that pop up with "c5 z06 long tube headers BLANK exhaust" what sucks is most phones cant capture a real high rev with out the sound maxing out and then they all the same. as dumb as describing it as "exotic" sounds to me, ( sense it makes you think ferrari, lamborghini, etc.) mated to lsx engines i think it comes across great. im from the south where if you heard really low deep exhaust it was some pick-up with straight pipes. ill keep my eyes open for a used corsa on here. ill look at some videos of said GHL bullets
Old 04-10-2018, 08:43 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Agreed with the firing order in making the LS not give off the deep rumble you are looking for. IMO by far an old 302 foxbody gives off that deep american muscle sound.

I have Borla XR1 longtubes with no cats matted to Corsa Extremes. I love way this sounds and the best part is I can carry on a conversation while cruising.

Last edited by Not4spd; 04-10-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:33 AM
STPerry92
Instructor

I'm with you, and your z does sound very nice. I think corsa extremes may be the closest thing I'm looking for
Old 04-15-2018, 10:50 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Well your best bet on finding the sound you're looking for would be to spend a good amount of time on youtube. I love my Borla Atak system but if I had to do it all over again I would consider just putting a couple of electric cutouts in and calling it a day. You may need a cam to get what you are looking for, but if you've never looked into cutouts then look them up, I used to have them on my trans am and loved them.
The following users liked this post:
STPerry92 (04-16-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:50 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Your tis will sound entirely different after you swap the headers and midpipe. I have long tubes with cats and tis (cam also) and I love the sound. Reasonably quiet until you press the go pedal then she wakes up. There are certainly much louder options out there but you have a nice set that flow very well. It's worth hearing them before you replace them.

And no, unfortunately, an LS will never sound like my 69 Camaro with headers and two chamber Flowmasters. If anyone can make that happen sign me up!

Get notified of new replies

To Another axle back exhaust question

Quick Reply: Another axle back exhaust question