C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Support/Product Needs

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:49 AM
BrodysFRC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Support/Product Needs

I am an experienced mechanical engineer in a position to fill a void in C5 corvettes aftermarket support or product needs. I have just purchased a 1999 FRC, which will be used as a R&D vehicle. I would love to create something useful since these cars are such great platforms to build on.

What do you all think is missing in the aftermarket?
What do you wish you could buy?
What do you wish there were more options for?
What products seem to disappoint you?
What problems aggrivate you with the C5?

Some things that come to my mind are issues with bottoming out/scraping everywhere, and the lack of "low-rise" or "sleepy-eye" headlight options. I've only seen the radioflyer luminator kit.

Looking forward to your thoughts!
Old 05-30-2018, 10:36 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

more carbon fiber... roof.. decklid, front facial and doors... there is a company in italy that is staring to do them.. but the car still could use a weight loss program without compromising quality. I'm looking to make them myself at this point....
The following users liked this post:
BrodysFRC (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 08:21 AM
BrodysFRC
Intermediate

That is true. I haven't seen much for weight reduction without compromising functionality, like remove certain options. Could possibly make a c/f component that both reduces weight, and adds rigidity to the car. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-31-2018, 02:55 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Start producing these: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pictures.html

Design a better version of this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iff-mount.html
The following users liked this post:
BrodysFRC (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 03:36 PM
BrodysFRC
Intermediate

Great links. I was amazed in the slop of the factory shifter & assembly in my car. I found that an aftermarket short throw improved the feel by a ton, but I can see why a tight linkage would improve it even further.

Coming from solid axle rear cars, wheel hop was tough to eliminate. It seems like driveline vibration/deflection is the major issue with the c5. Obviously worth exploring. Try to save a trans or diff maybe.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:42 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

definitely the crappy shift linkage.. how the hell is this america's super car and yet so sloppy everywhere damn it GM...
Old 05-31-2018, 03:49 PM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
definitely the crappy shift linkage.. how the hell is this america's super car and yet so sloppy everywhere damn it GM...
Old 05-31-2018, 04:03 PM
BrodysFRC
Intermediate

Really too bad the transmission side is so difficult to get at in order to change the linkage. I doubt many would remove the transmission to upgrade the linkage?
Old 05-31-2018, 04:10 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Everyone has to replace/upgrade a clutch, torque tube couplers, or some other drivetrain part eventually. Definitely not worth pulling the drivetrain to upgrade the shift linkage alone, but as a "while you're in there" improvement, it's a no-brainer.

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
Because it's America's (affordable, mass-produced) super car...and it's also from the '90s.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:14 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

How about an adapter bracket for the cheap Cadillac ATS 4-piston Brembo front calipers? Subaru guys get them: http://www.ctsvbrakeswap.com/subaru-...er-bracket-kit
Old 05-31-2018, 04:21 PM
BrodysFRC
Intermediate

Put me on the list of clutch upgrade and other preventative maintanence items "while I am in there", so I definitely agree with you. Seems like an inexpensive enough part to make. I like it.

Which brings me to a point... doesn't it suck that we have to pull the entire rear cradle out just to change the clutch? Would it be worth it to build a splined 2-piece driveshaft/torque tube and somehow make the whole thing collapsable so we can just remove the torque tube assembly and not the whole rear to do a clutch?

What else is a pita to work on or get to?
Old 05-31-2018, 04:25 PM
BrodysFRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
How about an adapter bracket for the cheap Cadillac ATS 4-piston Brembo front calipers? Subaru guys get them: http://www.ctsvbrakeswap.com/subaru-...er-bracket-kit
I paid some money for a kit like this on my third gen. Nice brakes. Same as base model C6 iirc?
Old 05-31-2018, 05:23 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Originally Posted by BrodysFRC
Which brings me to a point... doesn't it suck that we have to pull the entire rear cradle out just to change the clutch? Would it be worth it to build a splined 2-piece driveshaft/torque tube and somehow make the whole thing collapsable so we can just remove the torque tube assembly and not the whole rear to do a clutch?
That would be quite a feat and probably very expensive. I'm not sure who would be willing to pay for it.

C5 and base C6 calipers and rotors are interchangeable, yeah. Anything designed for one will work on the other.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:30 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

This for a realistic price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C5-CORVETTE...8d04%7Ciid%3A1

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Support/Product Needs

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Support/Product Needs