C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frequency of oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 04:32 PM
SVT_Z06
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to add to the conversation, how many of you have drilled additional holes in your dip stick? I just did this and boy, what a difference that makes. I now have four holes and it reads much more consistently. I wish I would have done this long ago.

For those of you who want to do this I used a Cobalt drill bit and had to drill very very slow. I think it's stainless steel.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:56 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I would like to know more where did you drill the holes?
Old 06-06-2018, 07:29 PM
SVT_Z06
Racer

Old 06-06-2018, 10:09 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

so you are saying the holes make it easy to see the fluid level since the oil will bridge the gap of the hole and fill it showing the fluid level?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:37 PM
SVT_Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
so you are saying the holes make it easy to see the fluid level since the oil will bridge the gap of the hole and fill it showing the fluid level?
Exactly!
Old 06-07-2018, 01:29 AM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by GS60th#47
500 miles? really? can I have your 'used' Mobil 1?

I re-use my own Mobil 1. I change both my corvette's oil once a year, they usually see less than 5,000 combined per/yr. So I save the oil and use it in my work van that'll easily get 3 changes a year. Over 250,000 miles in the van and it hasn't complained yet.

Last edited by MikeG37; 06-07-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

In the 2000 i met an engineer from Mobil 1. He said they tested a small block 350 and only changed the filter every 10,000 miles and ran the same oil for 250,000 miles and never had a problem. He showed me the motor and i to recycle my used oil for my other vehicles. (Ford)
Old 06-07-2018, 10:40 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Default Synthetic Oil: Rx for Long Engine Life

Since this topic comes up from time to time, and I haven't seen appear in a few years, I thought I'd bring it up now. This article, Synthetic Oil: Rx for Long Engine Life, originally created from a book by Curt Scott, is an excellent tutorial on the many benefits of using synthetic oils. It was compiled in 1986, and while much has transpired with synthetics since then, it makes for a great tutorial for those that may not yet appreciate the real benefits of synthetics. You can go here to find a full copy of the article.

The article includes many anecdotal stories and experiences of the author related to the use of synthetics. One of my favorite stories is one related to a test sponsored by AmsOil (an early manufacturer of synthetic oil products) on a New York City taxi fleet. You may also find it interesting. Since it was sponsored by AmsOil, you can expect some salesmanship, but the outcome speaks for itself.
This demonstration involved the use of its 100% synthetic engine oils in a New York City taxi fleet. The test, sponsored and supervised by a major lubricant additive manufacturer, compared the overall performance capabilities of Amsoil's 10W-40 synthetic oil with a number of leading petroleum motor oils. The demonstration was scheduled to encompass 60,000 miles of New York taxi service on each car. With the high levels of idling time typically encountered in such service, the total number of "engine miles" of each car was estimated to be about double the miles registered on its odometer.

Initially the demonstration was to have required that each taxi, equipped with a Chevrolet 229 CID V6 engine, have its oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles. But Amsoil insisted that an alteration of the test procedure be instituted. The company's intent was to push its synthetic oil to the extreme and evaluate how it compared to the petroleum oils drained at the originally-specified, 3,000 mile intervals. The twelve Amsoil-lubricated vehicles were thus divided into three groups of four taxis each. Group 1 (Amsoil) would double the control interval, with oil and filter drain at 6,000 miles; Group 2 (Amsoil) would quadruple the control interval, with oil and filter drain at 12,000 miles; and Group 3 (Amsoil) would not change the oil *for the duration of the test*; thus multiplying the (petroleum) Control Group's drain-control interval by twenty times. In place of changing the oil, these (Group 3) cars would be equipped with Amsoil's ByPass oil filter, claimed by the company to keep (synthetic) oil analytically clean for up to 25,000 miles of driving, without replacing the element. The by-pass filter element was changed at 12,500 mile intervals for the duration of the test.

Following the year-long demonstration, each of the engines was disassembled, both to determine the levels of sludge, varnish, and rust that had accumulated inside the engine, and to carefully measure the amounts of wear experienced on critical engine components. Pictured on the previous page are representative samples of various components of the test engines. In the first example, the pistons and intake valves of the petroleum Control Group (*oil and filter changes every 3,000 miles*), are illustrated. The lower set of photos represent the same engine components from an Amsoil Group 3 vehicle. Note the substantially reduced varnish and sludge deposits on the synthetic-oil lubricated components, and the remarkably good overall condition of the Amsoil Group 3 piston rings and valves.

To summarize the findings and conclusions, the test facility responsible for the demonstration submitted this statement: "The data presented in this report indicates that the Amsoil synthetic SAE 10W-40 passenger-car motor oil formulation...provided protection of the test engines from excessive wear and deposit formation, far beyond the normal 3,000-mile change interval." In fact, the level of protection was such that those engines in which the original synthetic oil was run for the entire duration of the (60,000-mile) test showed less wear than did the Control Group vehicles using premium, 10W-40 petroleum oil and 3,000-mile drain intervals.
The above linked article has photos that go with this story as well. By the way, growing up with a mechanic for a Dad, I can well remember his insisting on those 3,000 mile oil changes...

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 06-07-2018 at 10:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lionelhutz (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 10:41 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by SVT_Z06
Exactly!
got it thanks
The following users liked this post:
awches (06-09-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:46 AM
glfrmrk
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Frequency of oil changes

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and Mobil 1 filters. Generally in all of my cars I change oil and rotate tires at 5,000 miles. In my '03 Z06 I watch the oil monitor and send oil to Blackstone Labs. Last oil change was over 9,000 miles (9% life left) and they said I could go 12,000 miles based upon their findings. I just changed it at 8,000 miles and it was at 16%. Curious as to their findings this time. May go back to 5,000 mile changes in the future. Save the wave
Old 06-12-2018, 01:41 PM
Jim_ZO6
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 108 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C5 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
that's funny...you should have seen the look on my face when I changed the oil for the first time in my xj8 jag.....with a 5 qt pan under it......7 qts later I was saying ...exactly what is the capacity of this thing
I had a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. The 6.0 in that held 9 quarts. That was an expensive oil change if I took it to Jiffy Lube. I started doing it myself and did it once a year with Mobil 1.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:26 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by fake
Just change the filter and top off what was in the filter. The filter traps all the metal shavings. Also get a magnet for the bottom of the filter you will be surprised what that will pull out of the oil. If you see heavy metal particles change all the oil. Use only GM filters they are the best. Shine a led lite into the waste oil and you should see suspended particles the filter trapped.
If you own (current) GM stock, then GM filters aren't bad for your stock portfolio.

For your engine, especially for the LS1, GM (AC-Delco) filters are probably the worst possible choice. The PF-46E filter has a flow capacity of 3 GPM. The LS1 oil pump flows between 4 and 7 GPM across most of the RPM range. So that filter is restrictive, and the bypass valve on the oil filter bracket pretty much runs open all the time. That filter almost never gets the full flow of oil from the pump.

The Wix 51042 (also Napa gold or Car Quest blue) is rated at 9 to 11 GPM. Most of the other aftermarket filters for this engine are rated over 7 GPM, so most will filter the full flow of the oil pump.

As to the rest of your post, if you're running oil for an extended time between changes, changing the filter at the factory change interval is usually a good idea, even if you don't change all the oil at that time.

I still recommend annual oil changes as a bare minimum. Condensation collecting in the oil can cause problems, and that happens even when the thing is parked.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 06-12-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:44 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 488 Likes on 313 Posts

I only put 600-700 miles a year on mine & change my oil every 2yrs, not that it matters but my garage is heated.

I give my old oil to a coworker, not sure what he uses it for.

Quick Reply: frequency of oil changes