Any issues running 160* t-stat without fan temps changed? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page >

Any issues running 160* t-stat without fan temps changed?

Notices
C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any issues running 160* t-stat without fan temps changed?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 06-30-2018, 12:24 PM
  #1  
TorqueWinsRaces
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TorqueWinsRaces's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Kelseyville CA
Posts: 594
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default Any issues running 160* t-stat without fan temps changed?

There shouldn't be a problem running factory fan settings with a 160* t-stat, right?
TorqueWinsRaces is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:21 PM
  #2  
vettenuts
CF Senior Member
 
vettenuts's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: At the beach in little Rhody
Posts: 21,860
Thanks: 0
Thanked 142 Times in 131 Posts
Default

No, but watch oil temps and the coolant temp in traffic won't change, i.e., upper 220's.
vettenuts is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:34 PM
  #3  
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member
 
8VETTE7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,725
Thanked 1,768 Times in 1,571 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
No, but watch oil temps and the coolant temp in traffic won't change, i.e., upper 220's.

Which is another way of saying no benefit to the 160 Stat if you ever have to drive in traffic especially in the summer.

Last edited by 8VETTE7; 06-30-2018 at 01:35 PM.
8VETTE7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8VETTE7 For This Useful Post:
SG Lou (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 04:03 PM
  #4  
neutron82
Bangin' Gears
Support Corvetteforum!
 
neutron82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: Plain-0 TX
Posts: 8,187
Thanked 698 Times in 630 Posts
Default

not worth it in my opinion, stock stat and fan adjustment would be my choice
neutron82 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neutron82 For This Useful Post:
C6_Racer_X (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 05:19 PM
  #5  
feeder82
CF Senior Member
 
feeder82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Mazomanie Wisconsin
Posts: 1,573
Thanks: 0
Thanked 115 Times in 103 Posts
Default

I have a 160tstat, it's 91 here today, my temp in traffic around town with the AC on never got over 180
feeder82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:29 PM
  #6  
C6_Racer_X
CF Senior Member
 
C6_Racer_X's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: North Georgia, USA
Posts: 1,848
Thanked 123 Times in 96 Posts
Default

The potential down sides to a 160F are:
  • Check engine light and code for low coolant temp
  • damaged catalytic converters
  • higher under hood temps due to excess heat from overheating catalyst
There's no real performance up side to a thermostat that cool.

I'd adjust the fan temps first. Also make sure your pressure cap is good (or just replace it if it's over 5 years old), and make sure your cooling system is in proper operating condition.

Are You having issues with it overheating? Or loss of coolant issues?
C6_Racer_X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:43 PM
  #7  
TorqueWinsRaces
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TorqueWinsRaces's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Kelseyville CA
Posts: 594
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I'm not looking to install a t-stat without tuning the car. I already installed it for my new tune from a forum vendor. The tune is not right, I can't get the vendor to respond, so I need to go back to my old tune that I'm fairly certain was not set up for a 160* t-stat. I don't want to swap my old -t-stat back in if I don't need to. That's all.
TorqueWinsRaces is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:56 PM
  #8  
neutron82
Bangin' Gears
Support Corvetteforum!
 
neutron82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: Plain-0 TX
Posts: 8,187
Thanked 698 Times in 630 Posts
Default

you mentioned swapping tunes back to your old one, if you are capable of doing that on your own then you should be able to adjust the tune on your own right?... if so you could just change the fan on/off temps

Last edited by neutron82; 06-30-2018 at 05:58 PM.
neutron82 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:03 PM
  #9  
C6_Racer_X
CF Senior Member
 
C6_Racer_X's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: North Georgia, USA
Posts: 1,848
Thanked 123 Times in 96 Posts
Default

The fan temps are probably the least important part of tuning for a low temp thermostat. Any tuner who leads off with "I'll adjust the fan temps" is probably going to do a very poor tune for the lower temps.

The more important thing is to get the coolant temperature based fuel trim adjustments properly matched to the new thermostat. If that isn't done, you'll be pushing a lot of unburned gas out the exhaust, and that's very hard on the catalytic converters.

Also lowering the temperature where the check engine light activates to tell you the coolant hasn't warmed up in a timely fashion. Bad tunes will just set the "warm up time" timer to a ridiculously long value to prevent the check engine light from coming on due to the low coolant temp.

What other mods do you have that required a new tune?

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 06-30-2018 at 06:04 PM.
C6_Racer_X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:26 PM
  #10  
TorqueWinsRaces
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TorqueWinsRaces's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Kelseyville CA
Posts: 594
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by neutron82 View Post
you mentioned swapping tunes back to your old one, if you are capable of doing that on your own then you should be able to adjust the tune on your own right?... if so you could just change the fan on/off temps
No. I made the mistake of going the route where my tuner box thing is tied to the tuner- the person. I can't do anything but load tunes and log data. I'm not a very happy camper right now. I spent $750 on this bad joke.
TorqueWinsRaces is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:29 PM
  #11  
neutron82
Bangin' Gears
Support Corvetteforum!
 
neutron82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: Plain-0 TX
Posts: 8,187
Thanked 698 Times in 630 Posts
Default

yep, I've tried to warn people about that mess... it's not a good idea to let farm animals tune your car if you get my drift
neutron82 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:32 PM
  #12  
TorqueWinsRaces
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TorqueWinsRaces's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Kelseyville CA
Posts: 594
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X View Post
The fan temps are probably the least important part of tuning for a low temp thermostat. Any tuner who leads off with "I'll adjust the fan temps" is probably going to do a very poor tune for the lower temps.

The more important thing is to get the coolant temperature based fuel trim adjustments properly matched to the new thermostat. If that isn't done, you'll be pushing a lot of unburned gas out the exhaust, and that's very hard on the catalytic converters.

Also lowering the temperature where the check engine light activates to tell you the coolant hasn't warmed up in a timely fashion. Bad tunes will just set the "warm up time" timer to a ridiculously long value to prevent the check engine light from coming on due to the low coolant temp.

What other mods do you have that required a new tune?
I've had the same tune from ECS for years. The car has always ran rich and I finally decided to do something about it. If I had it to do over, I would buy one of the units that allows me to actually tune the car, then just get help over in the Scan and Tune forum. I didn't do my research and got sucked in by an ad.

With the first iteration of this tune the car falls on it's face when I shift above 4k RPM and the fuel mileage has dropped 20%. Totally unacceptable. Edit- To be clear: I'm wanting to put the ECS tune back in the car. I have the tune file, I was just making sure about the t-stat thing.

Last edited by TorqueWinsRaces; 06-30-2018 at 06:35 PM.
TorqueWinsRaces is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:50 PM
  #13  
vettenuts
CF Senior Member
 
vettenuts's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: At the beach in little Rhody
Posts: 21,860
Thanks: 0
Thanked 142 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TorqueWinsRaces View Post
I'm not looking to install a t-stat without tuning the car. I already installed it for my new tune from a forum vendor. The tune is not right, I can't get the vendor to respond, so I need to go back to my old tune that I'm fairly certain was not set up for a 160* t-stat. I don't want to swap my old -t-stat back in if I don't need to. That's all.
Sounds like a credit card disputed payment to me if you just got this.

Last edited by vettenuts; 06-30-2018 at 06:50 PM.
vettenuts is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vettenuts For This Useful Post:
TorqueWinsRaces (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 07:03 PM
  #14  
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member
 
8VETTE7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,725
Thanked 1,768 Times in 1,571 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by neutron82 View Post
yep, I've tried to warn people about that mess... it's not a good idea to let farm animals tune your car if you get my drift
​​​​​​​

Last edited by 8VETTE7; 06-30-2018 at 07:04 PM.
8VETTE7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:08 PM
  #15  
TorqueWinsRaces
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TorqueWinsRaces's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Kelseyville CA
Posts: 594
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

What a bunch of god ^*%%*T^R fu(&%^*(O bu%^&(&^^%!!!!!

This thing won't allow me to load my old tune and now my car won't start. I'm going to try this new tune just to get my car running again, but as of right now, I'm seriously unhappy. There is no way that thing should be able to download my old tune without being able to re-upload it.
TorqueWinsRaces is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:19 AM
  #16  
vettenuts
CF Senior Member
 
vettenuts's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: At the beach in little Rhody
Posts: 21,860
Thanks: 0
Thanked 142 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TorqueWinsRaces View Post
What a bunch of god ^*%%*T^R fu(&%^*(O bu%^&(&^^%!!!!!

This thing won't allow me to load my old tune and now my car won't start. I'm going to try this new tune just to get my car running again, but as of right now, I'm seriously unhappy. There is no way that thing should be able to download my old tune without being able to re-upload it.
Not sure where you bought it, but if it was recently dispute the charge.
vettenuts is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:41 AM
  #17  
TorqueWinsRaces
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TorqueWinsRaces's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Kelseyville CA
Posts: 594
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Not sure where you bought it, but if it was recently dispute the charge.
Yup. I'm contacting my CC company.

One thing I'm curious about is the Corvette Forum and how the administration looks at these things. The Forum is allowing this guy to advertise and screw their members. It's pretty clear based on the comments from ECS (in a different thread) and the Forum members that it's known that this guy is a clown. I realize CF is a business not a social service, but the members are what is important, not the vendors. Guess how many vendors they would have with no members? If the CF administration won't stand up and tell people like this where to get off the bus, that's a problem.

Edit- Claim initiated.

Last edited by TorqueWinsRaces; 07-01-2018 at 12:05 PM.
TorqueWinsRaces is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:39 AM
  #18  
sirdano
CF Senior Member
 
sirdano's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: Round Rock Texas
Posts: 634
Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TorqueWinsRaces View Post
No. I made the mistake of going the route where my tuner box thing is tied to the tuner- the person. I can't do anything but load tunes and log data. I'm not a very happy camper right now. I spent $750 on this bad joke.
i wonder what that cost was. Sorry man. I went to a local tuner a real good one. 500.00 got me street tune, dyno tune, then street tune. Best money i spent
sirdano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:41 AM
  #19  
sirdano
CF Senior Member
 
sirdano's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: Round Rock Texas
Posts: 634
Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Oh he set my first fan to come on at 200 and the other one 215. I still have stock termo
sirdano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:47 AM
  #20  
corvettezman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
corvettezman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Home of the VOLS ! Knoxville, TN. Tennessee
Posts: 11,087
Thanked 54 Times in 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18
Default

Originally Posted by neutron82 View Post
yep, I've tried to warn people about that mess... it's not a good idea to let farm animals tune your car if you get my drift
corvettezman is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any issues running 160* t-stat without fan temps changed?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: