C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 piston slap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 01:00 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
Have you compared the noise to other C5s? Could be a lazy lifter, fuel injector, or just normal. Without hearing it in person, it is hard to diagnose.

Piston slap typically isn't heard once the engine is at operating temps.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:36 AM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s this. Times for heads/cam build
Old 08-15-2018, 10:40 AM
Millhousemx
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt1slowerbird
It’s this. Times for heads/cam build
I dont think my problem is quite that severe haha. A heads and cam build is in the future though don't worry.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:47 AM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

Haha I’m not a vette owner but I do have an ls1 and yes the car cold is the noisest thing ever. Sounds like rod bearing letting go. Plus cammed and longtubes sounds really echo good. I hate piston slap but that noise is only present for less than 5 minutes. If it’s not traceable to rpm speed and metal on metal tapping I wouldn’t be concerned. However lookup ls1 bent push rod clips and compare sound. That noise is 100% the same as a bum lifter from my experience however nice thick oil sometimes shuts a lifter up. If it’s an m6 ever miss a shift or run it hard? Push rod straightness is easy to check. But I think you’re stressing out some. When I put my 42lb injectors in I noticed the pulse of them is louder too and I searched for exhaust leak for an hour before I figured it out lol.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:19 PM
Millhousemx
Advanced

The car is an m6, ive only had it for a month or so and never missed a shift personally. I did pull the valve covers and make sure no rockers were loose and nothing looked bent. I didn't actually pull the pushrods but they looked fine from what I could see.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:36 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Millhousemx
The car is an m6, ive only had it for a month or so and never missed a shift personally. I did pull the valve covers and make sure no rockers were loose and nothing looked bent. I didn't actually pull the pushrods but they looked fine from what I could see.
can you post a video? I'm curious to see what yours sounds like
Old 08-15-2018, 04:06 PM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

If m6 I would pull pushrods and roll them on flat glass if noise sounds that abnormal
Old 08-16-2018, 01:07 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

use the old screwdriver handle in the ear trick and see if you can isolate the noise... on my old f-body trans am the evap solenoid was making a constant tapping that sounded similar, this may not be your issue but just an example
Old 08-16-2018, 04:28 AM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

Originally Posted by neutron82
use the old screwdriver handle in the ear trick and see if you can isolate the noise... on my old f-body trans am the evap solenoid was making a constant tapping that sounded similar, this may not be your issue but just an example
That’s a good idea but if it’s internal problem on an ls based motor it will be tough to isolate noise. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out where my ticking came from using a stethoscope. The aluminum blocks really resonate sound good. The noise sounded just as loud to me in the pan as it did from the Timing cover area and intake area. When my lifter failed like it did in pics above it was an intermittent tick so that didn’t help any. Lucky for me the chunk was in the pan when I changed oil afterwards. But to OP if the tick is metalic sounding and being an m6 I would absolutely check pushrods just cause you know how previous owners are.
also have you removed the belts and started car to verify it’s not a pulley or tensioner being weak?

Last edited by Lt1slowerbird; 08-16-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:11 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Liftter noise is something most have to live wiht on LSx motors.
Mine started doing it about a month from taking delivery, with 180k sometimes it sounds like its coming apart, other days not so much

Using Dino oil made a huge difference in the noise, plain old 10/30 or 10/40 does the trick. Think all the syn I used was wasted money.
agree with regards to the lifter noise, it's just a quirk of these aluminum block LSes

I can always hear some valve train clatter after starting, and it goes away to the point that I can't hear it in the cabin after a few minutes. But if I stick my head under the hood, it's definitely still there, and it's been that way for as long as I've owned it. *shrug* I do find it interesting that your symptoms were alleviated with heavier dino oil. I tried to same thing all the way to 20W-50 (**** it, I'm in Florida), and if anything that made it worse. Ultimately I decided that it was quietest with the good old synthetic M1 5W-30 that GM told me to use. (I also burn the least of that)

And just FYI FWIW OP (LOL) ... I can't hear what you're hearing, but piston slap is a much different noise and also a very difficult sound to capture. I think the best way to describe is it sounds like a very subtle diesel *clacking*. Like sort of a hollow knocking sound coming from lower in the engine. And this is also very common in engines that use forged pistons. It is not limited to the LS mills.

Last edited by wcsinx; 08-17-2018 at 01:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikegerm_C5 (11-24-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 02:28 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

As far as lifter noise in these motors I know alot of ppl say it is normal. What bothers me about mine and why I don't consider it normal is because I am pretty sure mine is just one lifter making noise. I have narrowed it down to coming from cylinder 3 by using a stethoscope. I dont know if the op's situation is the same but mine sounds to only be one lifter.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:02 PM
Millhousemx
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I finally got a chance to make a cold start video for you guys to see what you think. Definitely sounds 90% better once its fully up to temp.

Last edited by Millhousemx; 08-17-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:16 PM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

Hood up engine warm video would be better IMO.
But speaking oil I personally like 0-40 I do believe it’s Mobil 1. I haven’t done an oil change in a long time. Don’t put many miles on it since heads and cam.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Millhousemx
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lt1slowerbird
Hood up engine warm video would be better IMO.
But speaking oil I personally like 0-40 I do believe it’s Mobil 1. I haven’t done an oil change in a long time. Don’t put many miles on it since heads and cam.

I will try and make a video of it warm tomorrow and post for comparison. Im running 0w40 castrol right now.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:31 PM
FR-CYA
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I finally got a chance to make a cold start video for you guys to see what you think. Definitely sounds 90% better once its fully up to temp.

https://youtu.be/c0Pb-Fnxek0
My LS1 sounds like that all the time!
Old 08-18-2018, 09:33 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

I will try and make a video of it warm tomorrow and post for comparison. Im running 0w40 castrol right now.
You can try Mobil 1 5w-40 TDT next time and see it that helps. Easy to find and fairly inexpensive in 5 quart jugs at Walmart.

Or if you have been using the Castrol Edge 0w-40, try the Castrol Edge 5w-40 next time.

Last edited by JHrinsin; 08-18-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

Hood up video each side of engine bay with a little rev. I don’t think your noise is really bad. Should hear my car when cold haha. Sounds horrible but it’s pretty quiet when warm. Got a little bit of valvetrain noise but my lifters are a bit noisey. And imo Castrol and Mobil 1 are both good. Just use good filters. Lt1 I liked the k&n just because of the nut it was easy to remove lol. I may have a video of my car hot. I’ll have to look for you to compare

Get notified of new replies

To C5 piston slap?

Old 08-18-2018, 07:18 PM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

Car when hot

and just for your piece of mind. This is the intermittent click I was talking about with failed lifter I had. I doubt it’s loud like this lol
Old 08-19-2018, 10:57 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by bwill03z
Let me know the results
Been using dino for over 120k oil pressure is the same as new. First 60k used syn...
Still use a good wix filter and know the mfr "recommends" a certain oil but I dont buy for a second using something different has a negative effect.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:24 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Been using dino for over 120k oil pressure is the same as new. First 60k used syn...
Still use a good wix filter and know the mfr "recommends" a certain oil but I dont buy for a second using something different has a negative effect.
Is your motor any quieter with the dino oil compared to synthetic? I may put some dino in to see if it affects the tapping in my motor, just to help confirm it's lifter noise.

Quick Reply: C5 piston slap?