C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 piston slap?

Old 08-20-2018, 04:44 PM
Millhousemx
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the car out for a drive and made a video when i got home. You can slightly hear the noise still but its much less noticeable than when the engine is cold. It sounds the same from both sides of the engine which makes me believe its a lazy lifter since the cam is in the middle of the engine.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just from the video I do think I hear a very very slight noise which I imagine in person it’s easier to distinguish. It’s not severe so I really encourage you to check for pushrod straightness. As the oem pushrods aren’t very tough
Old 08-20-2018, 05:16 PM
Millhousemx
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lt1slowerbird
Just from the video I do think I hear a very very slight noise which I imagine in person it’s easier to distinguish. It’s not severe so I really encourage you to check for pushrod straightness. As the oem pushrods aren’t very tough
Ok, when I get a chance I will pull the valve covers and rockers and check the push rods. I wonder if one is slightly bent and the lifter doesnt have enough preload so it ticks.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:19 PM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

That’s what happens usually bud. If they are severely bent they will be louder than that. But I’ve seen them bend bad enough to wear the pushrod hole in the top of head. Lifter lost all preload so it actually would “loft” off the cam and it was all fubar for that lifter bore lol a simple repair became a pita
Old 08-20-2018, 05:34 PM
Millhousemx
Advanced

That’s what happens usually bud. If they are severely bent they will be louder than that. But I’ve seen them bend bad enough to wear the pushrod hole in the top of head. Lifter lost all preload so it actually would “loft” off the cam and it was all fubar for that lifter bore lol a simple repair became a pita
I recently pulled the valve covers and everything looked fine but I didnt actually pull the pushrods. They all looked pretty centered in their holes but i guess its possible one could be bent.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:54 PM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

If slightly bent I believe they would still be centered in the lifter and rocker cup. It may not be your issue but for the ease of checking them it helps to cross out the possibilities for diagnosis. A failed lifter sometimes causes your oil pressure gauge to flutter when oil is good and hot.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Millhousemx
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I finally got a chance to make a cold start video for you guys to see what you think. Definitely sounds 90% better once its fully up to temp.

https://youtu.be/c0Pb-Fnxek0
That is defiantly piston slap. As the noise is worse when you blipped the throttle, causing more side load on the piston.

Russ Kemp
Old 08-20-2018, 06:15 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ K
That is defiantly piston slap. As the noise is worse when you blipped the throttle, causing more side load on the piston.

Russ Kemp
That sounds nothing like piston slap.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Millhousemx
Advanced

Think i found my tick.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:49 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Think i found my tick.

Yep I believe you did. Glad it wasn't something more serious, I expected to find this on mine, but have yet to figure mine out.
How did you know which one to check? Or did you just pull them all?

Last edited by bwill03z; 08-20-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 08-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Millhousemx
Advanced

Originally Posted by bwill03z
Yep I believe you did. Glad it wasn't something more serious, I expected to find this on mine, but have yet to figure mine out.
Im glad too. Hopefully the cam and lifter are ok since i know its been driven like this for a while. I figure if I replace the pushrod and it runs quiet its probably fine.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 PM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

OP if you physically pushed on the rocker cups when checking them for vertical “slop” then I’d imagine you didn’t lose all of your preload and lifter SHOULD be okay. Just be certain when you get your new pushrods you verify length/preload. Ls motors lifter preload is set by pushrod length. Comp has a pushrod length checker that works okay. Also I’m glad I could help and you didn’t take the noise as normal. Get er fixed up and let it rip. Also if you measure I have a new set of chromoly tick performance 7.400s id sell you for cheap. Either way good job on being proactive on maintenance of your ride
Old 08-20-2018, 09:27 PM
Millhousemx
Advanced

OP if you physically pushed on the rocker cups when checking them for vertical “slop” then I’d imagine you didn’t lose all of your preload and lifter SHOULD be okay. Just be certain when you get your new pushrods you verify length/preload. Ls motors lifter preload is set by pushrod length. Comp has a pushrod length checker that works okay. Also I’m glad I could help and you didn’t take the noise as normal. Get er fixed up and let it rip. Also if you measure I have a new set of chromoly tick performance 7.400s id sell you for cheap. Either way good job on being proactive on maintenance of your ride
Thanks man, I may take you up on those comps. I guess I need to check the drivers side head too. I replaced the pushrod on the passenger side and fired it up. Sounds exactly the same lol.... i hate this noise!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:31 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks man, I may take you up on those comps. I guess I need to check the drivers side head too. I replaced the pushrod on the passenger side and fired it up. Sounds exactly the same lol.... i hate this noise!
So you replaced the bent pushrod in your pic but the noise didn't go away?? That sucks, maybe you have multiple ones bent a little?
Old 08-20-2018, 09:33 PM
Millhousemx
Advanced

Originally Posted by bwill03z
So you replaced the bent pushrod in your pic but the noise didn't go away?? That sucks, maybe you have multiple ones bent a little?
Yeah i put a new one in the passenger side to replace the bent one. Pulled the others and they were straight. I still have to pull the drivers side ones though. I just figured id try it and see how it sounded first.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:06 PM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

Yeah i put a new one in the passenger side to replace the bent one. Pulled the others and they were straight. I still have to pull the drivers side ones though. I just figured id try it and see how it sounded first.
typically they bend on a manual from the good old money shifts. Springs lose control of valves due to mechanical over-rev and the valves kiss the pistons then stuff the pushrods into the lifter. Stock pushrods are weak so they usually bend first before damage to lifter but not always. However you probably have more than one bent one. If so I do recommend getting the comp cam pushrod length checker. They aren’t much and figuring out what length you need. The 7.400s are close to stock replacement length. Also if you suspect a mechanical over-rev be sure to inspect the stock crap rockers as they like to puke needle bearings
Old 08-20-2018, 10:44 PM
Millhousemx
Advanced

typically they bend on a manual from the good old money shifts. Springs lose control of valves due to mechanical over-rev and the valves kiss the pistons then stuff the pushrods into the lifter. Stock pushrods are weak so they usually bend first before damage to lifter but not always. However you probably have more than one bent one. If so I do recommend getting the comp cam pushrod length checker. They aren’t much and figuring out what length you need. The 7.400s are close to stock replacement length. Also if you suspect a mechanical over-rev be sure to inspect the stock crap rockers as they like to puke needle bearings
Well i tore the drivers side down. Found one more bent and changed it. Replaced both with 7.4 since this engine is all stock and thats whats in it. I started it back up and it sounds about the same at idle and blipping the throttle makes it clack a little louder just like before. All the rocker bearings looked good too. Not really sure what to think. It sounds maybe slightly better but not the difference i had hoped for.

Last edited by Millhousemx; 08-20-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 piston slap?

Old 08-20-2018, 11:31 PM
Millhousemx
Advanced

I have a video of it now having trouble posting the link.

Last edited by Millhousemx; 08-20-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:03 AM
Lt1slowerbird
Advanced

I’m at work so it’s a bit hard for me to hear. What is your oil pressure cold/hot? Also I would not drive it like this. If it is a lifter and it turns in the bore or fails then you are very likely to be looking at some damage. It sounds like a lifter tick at idle. I don’t like that sharp squeaky knock noise when you first rev it though it may be my phone speakers lol. You’re looking at topend tear down I’d say. I don’t think it sounds really deep like a rod knock/ they chirp sometimes as well. I don’t think it’s a spun bearing. You’d probably be seeing a lot of gold stripper glitter in oil and filter if it’s a spun bearing. I’d bet you have a seized lifter wheel and if I’m actually hearing a squeak at first rev is the wheel not rolling but sliding across the cam lobe. But It’s not hard to replace lifters though if you’re a bit mechanically inclined. I’d get the morel drop ins or Johnson’s. Johnson’s are a step up. But I think morels are the only lifter who use a wire lock axle shaft at oem wheel size The rest are swedge lock and they can walk out when valvefloat occurs if ever. It’s a shame you can’t rev the motor while camera is right there. If you plan on modifying in the future. Now is the time to get a build list going if you verify heads gotta come off. If you need help I would be happy to help fellow ls owner. You MIGHT be able to verify by pulling all rockers and spinning motor several times. This SHOULD cause lifters to stick up in lifter trays. Then you can manually seat each lifter on its lobe with a pushrod. One may be very hard to seat back down but I’m just spitballing here. I’m sorry I can’t help much more than give you an estimated guess. I know how it feels. Stuff like this makes me sick to my stomach when it’s my own ride.

Last edited by Lt1slowerbird; 08-21-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:47 AM
Millhousemx
Advanced

Oil pressure is in the 40s at idle cold, at full temp it sits around 30 at idle. When i blip the throttle it rattles a bit when cold. Doesn't make any squeaks though must be your phone speakers. Once the engine reaches full temp the rattle goes away fkr the most part. I figure I'll tear it down this winter and do some upgrades. With my luck I'll do heads cam and lifters and it will sound exactly the same haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 piston slap?