C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 09:01 AM
JWM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Shock Failure

Will lowering the C5 on stock bolts cause premature shock failure. When I purchased mine, it had been lowered on stock bolts but, for how many miles I have no knowledge. I replaced the tires with the proper size and returned the vehicle to stock height. I have noticed that, on occasion, the rear will bottom out when hitting a bump.
Current millage is 42K. Thanks for your consideration in this matter.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:58 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

No. The stock height adjustment bolts were included by GM, the factory, the engineers, for a reason - for you to use them! Extreme height differences can cause some amount of extra load or wear, but it's not worth worrying as long as it drives the way it should. (With that said, the suspension geometry changes enough that for really hard use - track use where performance really matters - you may consider alternatives to improve the setup.)

However, shocks do fail with both age and mileage. Given the age of our C5s, it is not unusual to need new shocks. Do you see signs of leaking or weeping? Do you have a "moist" looking shock, with dirt sticking to it?

If you do plan to change them up, I think the most popular option are the C6Z shocks - super cheap and quite good. I think there are some Bilsteins people quite like as well. I put on double-adjustable Viking shocks, though in retrospect, I kinda wish I just ponied up and got LG GT2 coilovers ...
Old 03-04-2019, 04:12 PM
JWM
Racer

Originally Posted by gimp
No. The stock height adjustment bolts were included by GM, the factory, the engineers, for a reason - for you to use them! Extreme height differences can cause some amount of extra load or wear, but it's not worth worrying as long as it drives the way it should. (With that said, the suspension geometry changes enough that for really hard use - track use where performance really matters - you may consider alternatives to improve the setup.)

However, shocks do fail with both age and mileage. Given the age of our C5s, it is not unusual to need new shocks. Do you see signs of leaking or weeping? Do you have a "moist" looking shock, with dirt sticking to it?

If you do plan to change them up, I think the most popular option are the C6Z shocks - super cheap and quite good. I think there are some Bilsteins people quite like as well. I put on double-adjustable Viking shocks, though in retrospect, I kinda wish I just ponied up and got LG GT2 coilovers ...
Thank you for responding on this. No signs of leakage front or rear. I am considering the purchase of a set of Z06 shocks however as these are twenty one years old.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:53 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

My 2c: you may as well go for it, and you probably will not regret it.

If you 'feel' like you are bottoming out with new shocks, I would consider a few options: one, if you're sure you're feeling things correctly (second opinion), and 2, if you have other parts that are worn out that result in a jarring impact or crashy feel. At this age, there are a number of suspension components that may be worn or aged out, including: shock bushings, control arm bushings, ball joints, anti-roll bar bushings and end links, leaf springs and their bushings/perches, and driveline mounts (engine and trans/diff.) The unfortunate fact of owning a 20-year-old car is that a bunch of "lifetime" components become "wearable" components in the logbook.
The following users liked this post:
JWM (03-04-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 02:33 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

C6 Z06 shocks for a stiffer ride, C6 base for a softer one, and C6 Z51 for an in-between option, all available at the approximate same low cost.

Given the age of your car, a sway bar upgrade (or at least metal sway bar endlink replacement) should be in the works as well, and would be a good idea to do all at once. The original plastic endlinks wear out quickly and will contribute to making it feel loose. C6 Z51 sway bars are a good choice for base C5 tire size. C6 Z06 for Z06 sized tires or wider.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:47 AM
JWM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tsumi
C6 Z06 shocks for a stiffer ride, C6 base for a softer one, and C6 Z51 for an in-between option, all available at the approximate same low cost.

Given the age of your car, a sway bar upgrade (or at least metal sway bar endlink replacement) should be in the works as well, and would be a good idea to do all at once. The original plastic endlinks wear out quickly and will contribute to making it feel loose. C6 Z51 sway bars are a good choice for base C5 tire size. C6 Z06 for Z06 sized tires or wider.
Thank you. I will seriously consider your recommendations.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:05 AM
JWM
Racer

Ordered a set from Rock Auto today. C6 Z06 Total cost with shipping is $220.55

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Failure

Quick Reply: Shock Failure