C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me identify a part

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 03:49 PM
1tmaxxer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me identify a part

I need some help identifying a part.
below are the images, they are in all 4 corners of the car.
if anyone knows the part number or if also available aftermarket. Thanks,

Old 03-13-2019, 04:06 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,184 Likes on 1,586 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

LOL!! Its part of the cars Real Time Dampening System .. Its the suspension position sensor arm tha is connected to the lower A Arm and it connects to the suspension position sensor. What year car do you have??
The early cars used the F-45 Real Time dampening.
The later cars used the improved F-55 system. You should have Real Time dampening system DTCs if those arms are damaged. Have you used the DIC to query the DTCs that are stored in the cars DIC system?????????

IMHO, The F-45 system is JUNK!!! You can do a WHOLE LOT better by programming that F-45 RPO code out of the BCM and installing a dedicated C5 performance suspension system like the Z-51 or the ZO6 suspension (springs sway bars, metal end links and C6 ZO6 Shocks) The C6 shock drop right in and make a significant handling improvement over the base FE-1 suspension. You can get ALL the parts used pretty cheep (you need to get the shocks new)

I don't know if GM Parts even sells them any longer Contact Gene Culley at CULTRAG Performance GM PARTS. If they are available, he can get them.

If you cant get NEW, contact VETTENUTS (Marc) He has a C5-C6 Vette bone yard. Good people!!!

Let me know what you think.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 03-13-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The parts look pretty "VERY" RUSTY.. Where do you live????? OR Where did the car live???

In a pinch, you could remove the arm parts, free up the little ball joints where the arms connect to the sensor arm and A ram and just maybe make a temp repair.

It would allow you to see if the rest of the system works and if its even worth getting replacement parts.

Looks like the little ball joint swivels are rusted/frozen and that's what causes them to snap off. If you can free them up, you may be able to use some JB Weld to bone the parts back together. When they are working properly, there "SHOULD BE" very little force necessary to move that sensor arm.

AHHHH,, Just noticed that you live in NY! THE RUST BELT!!!!!!!!! I live in CT. LOL!!

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 03-13-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Thanks Bill. We have those in stock so let me know if you need them.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 03-13-2019, 05:39 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,364 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
….IMHO, The F-45 system is JUNK!!! You can do a WHOLE LOT better by programming that F-45 RPO code out of the BCM and installing a dedicated C5 performance suspension system like the Z-51 or the ZO6 suspension (springs sway bars, metal end links and C6 ZO6 Shocks)

Bill
After 17 years here, at CF, I've learned that. Too bad I didn't know this, before ordering my C-5. About a month before I placed my order, I was reading a drive/track test in one of the car magazines, about a C-5, driven by Mario Andretti, who RAVED about the car. The F45 suspension was mentioned a couple of times, in this article, and based on this, I ordered it on my car....
Old 03-14-2019, 09:52 AM
1tmaxxer
Advanced

thanks for the info guys.
I have a 98 so its the F-45
I'd like to keep it stock, not really into swapping things out.
Marc, I PN'd you.

thanks.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 1tmaxxer
thanks for the info guys.
I have a 98 so its the F-45
I'd like to keep it stock, not really into swapping things out.
Marc, I PN'd you.

thanks.

Food for thought... The shocks that you have are 99% chance of being completely SHOT. New F45 shocks, if you can find them ( I doubt it) will be VERY EXPENSIVE. I know the F55 shocks are between $800$900 E A C H !!! You can NOT fit F55 shocks in to the F45 System! I had the F-45 on my 98 Coupe. Hated every minute of the experience.

Get it working and let us know what you think. The difference between Tour Sport and Performance is so slight that you will wonder if the damn thing works. I applaud you enthusiasm for wanting to keep it pure stock BUT, there will come a time when the cars handling ( lack of it) will haunt you.. Once I drove a C5 ZO6, the F45 suspension car was a PURE LET DOWN. The difference is NIGHT and DAY.

Bill
Old 03-14-2019, 07:52 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Food for thought... The shocks that you have are 99% chance of being completely SHOT. New F45 shocks, if you can find them ( I doubt it) will be VERY EXPENSIVE. I know the F55 shocks are between $800$900 E A C H !!! You can NOT fit F55 shocks in to the F45 System! I had the F-45 on my 98 Coupe. Hated every minute of the experience.

Get it working and let us know what you think. The difference between Tour Sport and Performance is so slight that you will wonder if the damn thing works. I applaud you enthusiasm for wanting to keep it pure stock BUT, there will come a time when the cars handling ( lack of it) will haunt you.. Once I drove a C5 ZO6, the F45 suspension car was a PURE LET DOWN. The difference is NIGHT and DAY.

Bill
F55 shocks are $400 each, and it is possible to upgrade the F45 system to F55, which requires getting the F55 computer and harness.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:16 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I know its possible to completely change the system. I was just letting him know that you can not put F-55 shocks into an F-45 system,

Wow!! The price of those shocks get lower and lower as the days go by!!!

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 03-14-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:46 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 312 Posts

Stop the presses. Someone has disagreed with Bill Curlee!
Old 03-15-2019, 03:09 PM
1tmaxxer
Advanced

I really appreciate the advise Bill.
as I mentioned before I'd like to just keep it stock and fix the simplest way if possible.
another reason for that is I have my eye on the C8, not it 2020 but maybe in 2021-2022 so I don't really want to invest too much into the car.
I'm just waiting for Marc to PM me back a price.
I've also reached out to Gene via an email and awaiting to see if they are still available.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Good for you.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:38 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

The difference between Tour Sport and Performance is so slight that you will wonder if the damn thing worksl
I disagree. Bought mine new with F45. Even with a good few miles on, I can tell the difference. Perf still tightens everything up nicely. The whole point of F45 (and then F55) is that you can chose. I always use Tour on the freeway, and it is as comfortable as any sedan, no teeth jarring road joints for a start, then I crank it up on the back roads. If you can't tell the difference, the system is probably shot (or broken like the OP's) then unfortunately you do have some decisions to make. Think $500/corner refurbed.....and the F55 conversion kit is sadly no more.

People have reported good results with the base springs (which is what F45 cars have) and the base C6 shocks. Going to stiffer shocks really needs re-rated springs to suit, so unless you are doing a full spring/shock swap out (C5 Z06 set up, e.g.), best to remain "in balance".

Get notified of new replies

To Help me identify a part

Quick Reply: Help me identify a part