C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing intake what else should I replace

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 07:49 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I would install an oil catch can. When you clean your intake out, you will find all sorts of gunked up oil deposits. I went with an Elite Engineering because I like the way the bottom screws off without any oil spills.
Another thing you might want to consider is to clean up the underside and get the old insulation foam off and then install a thermal barrier under your intake, like the pic above. I also used some HVAC insulation tape to tape up the edges and blank spots. I've got a pic above of the before and after of the bottom side. Some people argue that there is no performance gain, but I've seen dyno reports that suggest otherwise. For $70, I figure it's a fun project and you know there is another cheap hp gain you didn't leave on the table.
Good luck.
Spaggs
Old 04-21-2019, 08:11 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaggs

I would install an oil catch can. When you clean your intake out, you will find all sorts of gunked up oil deposits. I went with an Elite Engineering because I like the way the bottom screws off without any oil spills.
Another thing you might want to consider is to clean up the underside and get the old insulation foam off and then install a thermal barrier under your intake, like the pic above. I also used some HVAC insulation tape to tape up the edges and blank spots. I've got a pic above of the before and after of the bottom side. Some people argue that there is no performance gain, but I've seen dyno reports that suggest otherwise. For $70, I figure it's a fun project and you know there is another cheap hp gain you didn't leave on the table.
Good luck.
Spaggs
I like your insulation job there.

I did one recently and I just used "Frost King" HVAC duct insulation and metal foil tape (outdoor rated tape for HVAC ducts). On that one I also painted the top of the manifold with silver paint with "Thermacells" (a ceramic insulating powder) added to the paint. It ended up looking like a metal casting. I used a plastic primer first, also with the "Thermacells" powder in the primer.

Quick Reply: Removing intake what else should I replace