C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z06 titanium exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 09:03 PM
Justin Raney
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Default z06 titanium exhaust?

z06 titanium mufflers?
Are these z06 titanium mufflers? Theyre local to my area but they look like base c5 to me.

Can anyone confirm theyre z06 mufflers and are z06 mufflers any better then stock? Or aftermarket borla straight pipes better?

Last edited by Justin Raney; 03-06-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:09 PM
TheBac
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

They look like a ti set to me. Ask the seller for a pic of the underside of the mufflers. It should have "titanium" and the part number stamped there.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:50 PM
Justin Raney
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Justin Raney
z06 titanium mufflers?
Are these z06 titanium mufflers? Theyre local to my area but they look like base c5 to me. Marketplace - Corvette C5 Z06 titanium exhaust | Facebook

Can anyone confirm theyre z06 mufflers and are z06 mufflers any better then stock? Or aftermarket borla straight pipes better?

Ok ill ask he wants 500$ for them how much do they usually cost and how much better then stock? What aftermarket axleback exhaust are they close to or are they as quiet as stock base c5 mufflers just titanium. Is there any horsepower in them or are they close to stock full size mufflers?
Old 03-05-2022, 11:11 AM
Napoleon_Tanerite
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

$500 is about right for the price. As far as "better" than base model mufflers-- maybe, but not a whole lot. Neither system is particularly restrictive, so you're not going to see huge performance gains with any axle-back system. All factory mufflers (base and Z06) are somewhat quiet, so if you're looking for a loud system you should look elsewhere.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:08 AM
Adwest52
Pro

Received 604 Likes on 288 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The Z06 exhaust tips sure as hell look a lot better than the cheesy base exhaust oval ones.
The following users liked this post:
Bills03Coupe (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 10:56 AM
Bills03Coupe
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They are the titanium exhaust. Having run both on My Coupe, the sound is a bit better with the titanium, in my opinion. The big difference is the weight savings over stock, plus you get rid of what I think, are the ugly squashed tips on the stock system!
Old 03-06-2022, 11:54 AM
Justin Raney
Melting Slicks

So the z06 exhaust used are worth maybe 500$ and come stock with the round bigger tips?
Old 03-06-2022, 12:45 PM
Adwest52
Pro

Received 604 Likes on 288 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Justin Raney
So the z06 exhaust used are worth maybe 500$ and come stock with the round bigger tips?
Yes, you are correct.
Mine before (very boring)

Mine after with titanium exhaust (not boring)

Old 03-06-2022, 03:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Get them for looks and the weight savings. DO NOT expect to see much HP/TQ gain. I put a set on my 98 Coupe and the ONLY sound improvement was at WOT and accelerating under load. You will need to put the car on a 4 arm type lift to get them on and off without cutting the pipes. There is a mod that you can do to the muffler outlet pipe to make then louder. Its easy BUT, involves welding TI.

BC
Old 03-06-2022, 06:25 PM
Justin Raney
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Get them for looks and the weight savings. DO NOT expect to see much HP/TQ gain. I put a set on my 98 Coupe and the ONLY sound improvement was at WOT and accelerating under load. You will need to put the car on a 4 arm type lift to get them on and off without cutting the pipes. There is a mod that you can do to the muffler outlet pipe to make then louder. Its easy BUT, involves welding TI.

BC
i was just ciurious what the titanium exhaust sells for as i had seen a few sets. I dont think they do much either i would think some bullit mufflers would add the most horsepower sound. That 2" exhaust upgrade doesnt look like its worth the work and looks strange unless youre playing with stock stuff.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I sold the ones off my 02 ZO6 (@ 35,000 miles) back in 2005 for $450 and the buyer paid shipping to CA. I did my first set of major engine Mods and added (StlanessWorks 1 3/4 mid length headers, High flow cats, X pipe, 3" all the way back to StainlessWorks 3" mufflers, VARARAM, Ported TB, 180 deg T stat and a Dyno Tune. It Made 390 RWHP/375 torque,
I can see the Used Ti mufflers easily going for $500-$550. these days.

No matter what CAT Back you get ($300-$2000) as long as the exhaust you purchase flows at least as much as the factory exhaust, you are most likely not going to significantly increase HP/TQ. adding a bigger CAT Back system.. At an OEM engine to mild engine mods, the factory OEM exhaust are not holding you back at all. If you went open pipe, you would only see 8 - 10 HP. Its your CAM, and heads that need to be improved. Purchase your CAT Back for the SOUND that you want. Any small HP/TQ increase is just a very small part of the change..

Now, If you plan on doing significant engine mods in the future to increase engine breathing, the Bigger better flowing CAT Backs can come into play a little more. There are people on the forum who have 500 HP C5s through C5 ZO6 Ti mufflers.

BC
Old 03-06-2022, 08:49 PM
Justin Raney
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I sold the ones off my 02 ZO6 (@ 35,000 miles) back in 2005 for $450 and the buyer paid shipping to CA. I did my first set of major engine Mods and added (StlanessWorks 1 3/4 mid length headers, High flow cats, X pipe, 3" all the way back to StainlessWorks 3" mufflers, VARARAM, Ported TB, 180 deg T stat and a Dyno Tune. It Made 390 RWHP/375 torque,
I can see the Used Ti mufflers easily going for $500-$550. these days.

No matter what CAT Back you get ($300-$2000) as long as the exhaust you purchase flows at least as much as the factory exhaust, you are most likely not going to significantly increase HP/TQ. adding a bigger CAT Back system.. At an OEM engine to mild engine mods, the factory OEM exhaust are not holding you back at all. If you went open pipe, you would only see 8 - 10 HP. Its your CAM, and heads that need to be improved. Purchase your CAT Back for the SOUND that you want. Any small HP/TQ increase is just a very small part of the change..

Now, If you plan on doing significant engine mods in the future to increase engine breathing, the Bigger better flowing CAT Backs can come into play a little more. There are people on the forum who have 500 HP C5s through C5 ZO6 Ti mufflers.

BC
Mine supposedly made 368rhp with the tsp headers, volant intake filter and medium sized 220/224 cam. If i could get 5-10hp from any additional mods id go for it.
Im looking for the same sound as most of the new 5.0s have when floored as well as chargers with muffler delete. Alot rev nasty when i looked specifically for those cars on you tube they had muffler delete but kept the stock resonators. I was looking into the borla straight pipes but am trying to fit a nice set of single 3-4" tips. With the quad exit 4 2" pipe exhaust its hard to do that. I find my car is alot quieter then most new v8s running around on the street. From 50 yards you cant even hear the exhaust.
I do have cam, headers, volant intake filter but i think exhaust would really make it sound great from a distance. Borla straight pipes would be the way to go or other billy boat bullit type axlebacks. Down here at 350rwhp im all for 10hp gains fron straight pipe exhaust or even the 10hp from a 25% driven ud pulley. I didn't have enough funds for the twice the price ud pulley so i went with a stock diamater. Billy boats bulllit exhaust claims 18hp and asp ud pulley claims 12hp so those are good mods if you ask me but once 50 yard you can't hear the cars v8 sound or any exhaust from it. Also the only way to put a nice 3"-4" set of single tips would be to delete the factory muffler. Its not to heavy but alot of weight to carry. It sounds good upclose but other newer v8s with muffler deletes sound alot better and my car cant be heard. I would do the borla straight pipes for the 10hp and asp 25% ud pulley for the other 10+hp it claims. They are reputable brands but who knows. The only other mods i can think of is the exhaust for the 5-10hp as well as looks better exhaust tips, ud pulley and a varam power duct but others told me they didnt add any horsepower. With all of that its worth the extra 20hp. I think even 2.5"-3" autozone single pilot tips would look better then this. Totalflow has 4" minibullet in 2.5" that would fit perfect similar to the bullet catback style exhaust but they went out of stock last november when i was trying to get some and told me early april they'd have them back in stock. When i did slp headers and 3" bullet dumps with free mods on my stock 98 z28 6 speed went from 101mph-107mph so a good 50-60hp gain with headers exhaust, home ported tb, tb coolant bypass and a lid. The 360$ ebay exhaust may be worth it but the tips with restrictors are horrible if only they had a single 4" tip option plus the factory mufflers neck down to 1.9" just before entering the mufflers. RPIDESIGNS has the borla s type round muffler for 663$ with their coupon but is 3-4 times as much as the straight pipes from the local exhaust shop. I think the 2.5" stock piping will be quieter then 3" bullet x pipes dumped before the axles which really was a nice sounding smooth flowing exhaust.

Last edited by Justin Raney; 03-06-2022 at 09:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To z06 titanium exhaust?

Quick Reply: z06 titanium exhaust?