C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 11:40 AM
dragnz24
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Gremlins

So driving the other day all the gauges and radio shut down. Moments later everything came back to life, DIC read "Reduce engine speed", pulled over and everything blanked out again then the security light was on, but everything else was functioning as it should. Shut the car off started it back up only light on was the traction control light (but that doesn't bother me). Since then the radio has blanked on me several times and the above symptoms have happened several more times also. Thought it could have been the junk Walmart battery so I installed a brand new Red Top and checked the voltage from the Alt and Battery and all are with in spec. I just checked the ground on the drivers A pillar footwell and it is as clean and tight as factory. What should be my next check?
Edit: Car is a 2001 Base Convertible
Old 09-22-2022, 12:38 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 529 Likes on 442 Posts

Could be the Ignition switch contacts or the relay that sends power to the radio and other things.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:11 PM
Endless Money Pits
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dragnz24
So driving the other day all the gauges and radio shut down. Moments later everything came back to life, DIC read "Reduce engine speed", pulled over and everything blanked out again then the security light was on, but everything else was functioning as it should. Shut the car off started it back up only light on was the traction control light (but that doesn't bother me). Since then the radio has blanked on me several times and the above symptoms have happened several more times also. Thought it could have been the junk Walmart battery so I installed a brand new Red Top and checked the voltage from the Alt and Battery and all are with in spec. I just checked the ground on the drivers A pillar footwell and it is as clean and tight as factory. What should be my next check?
Edit: Car is a 2001 Base Convertible
Just a shot in the dark, loose battery terminals, dirty battery terminals, or a dirty ground to frame connection *somewhere* come to mind. Sorry if that's not super helpful.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical Gremlins