C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[HOW TO] HEADLIGHT ACTUATOR REBUILD (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 01:39 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The right side on my 01 Z06 (61k miles) with T-84s did not come up all the way last night. I turned them off and then back on and everything was ok. It was fine when I drove home tonight.

I guess I need to have a listen. I would think that the additional weight of the T-84s would cause this to fail early.

Symptoms of a failed gear in the headlight motor:
If your headlight motor makes a grinding noise when turned on or turned off (this usually happens at the full open and full closed position) this is what you need to repair your headlight motor. If you do not repair or replace your headlight motor once this begins to happen - sooner or latter the headlight will not raise at all. If you have the factory alarm/remote door locks the headlights may act funny if you have a headlight motor that is in need of repair.

Here is the difference between the two:

NOTE #1: There are 2 variations of the headlight actuator motor assemblies used on the 1997 and up C5 Corvettes. The 97-99 motor assembly has a removeable side cover that is held on with 3 machine screws. The gear kit for the 97-99 motor assembly includes a new side cover gasket. The 2000 + has a glued on side cover. This cover needs to be pryed off (broken at the factory glue joint) to replace the worn gear. The cover is easy to pry off and I include a packet of epoxy glue to reglue it back on. ALso included with each replacement gear is a packet of silicone grease that will never dry out like the grease used by the original manufacturer. Also included: Complete detailed rebuilding instructions and how to remove the headlight motor assembly from the car.

NOTE #2: If you have a 97-99 C5 Corvette there is the possibility that one or both of the headlight motor(s) have been replaced with the newer 2000+ style headlight motor(s). To ensure you receive the correct kit please check to see if the headlight motor(s) in your 97-99 C5 are plastic or aluminum. The aluminum housing style is the original equipment used on the 97-99 C5 Corvette. They will have 3 screws holding the side cover one while the 2000+ headlight motor assemblies are plastic and the side cover is glued on. This newer style headlight motor change can occur because the 97-99 style motors are no longer available through GM. If a previous owner or a GM dealer has replaced a headlight motor in a 97-99 they may have installed the newer 2000+ style. I have not yet seen a 97-99 headlight motor in a 2000+ C5 but that possibility also exists. A quick check will ensure that you order the correct rebuild kit.
The following users liked this post:
redtop2000 (07-03-2018)
Old 01-12-2005, 04:02 AM
quick99ls1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:41 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quick99ls1
nice write up.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Minddoctor
4th Gear

Hi is there a section somewhere that deals with wipers. They will not shut off when I put the fuse back in. When I pull the fuse they never seat themselves. He.lp please
Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

[HOW TO] HEADLIGHT ACTUATOR REBUILD (PICS)

Call me crazy, but I was hoping to see pics that explained the process of actually rebuilding the headlight motors.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Minddoctor
4th Gear

Hi could the wiper stalk be cleaned or could them not shutting off be as simple as a ground
Old 07-15-2010, 11:51 AM
blkblurvr4
Navigator

Default Headlight Motors

My 2004 had the grinding noise and the one not would sometimes not come up like mentioned. It would sometimes after doing the on / off thing. I unfortunately had my local dealer do the replacement at over $350 a piece for the motors and install. I do get a discount, so not sure what it would have been otherwise.

I also have an issue with the front left turn signal lamp blowing out after rain or a run thru a carwash. Replaced the bulbs and even used the silicone grease to keep moisture out; but almost like clockwork at a month - the lamp blows again. Had my service guy check it and he said it was the connector. Supposedly they replaced the connector; but the lamp failed again after driving in a nasty Texas rainstorm. The dealer gets the car back for a "FREE" fix again.

All these "little" issues like the climate control LEDS, headlight motors, and the turn signal issue make me wonder if buying a Vette was a smart thing - as repairs are a bit outrageous in prices.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:47 PM
bmg
Drifting

Originally Posted by blkblurvr4
My 2004 had the grinding noise and the one not would sometimes not come up like mentioned. It would sometimes after doing the on / off thing. I unfortunately had my local dealer do the replacement at over $350 a piece for the motors and install. I do get a discount, so not sure what it would have been otherwise.

I also have an issue with the front left turn signal lamp blowing out after rain or a run thru a carwash. Replaced the bulbs and even used the silicone grease to keep moisture out; but almost like clockwork at a month - the lamp blows again. Had my service guy check it and he said it was the connector. Supposedly they replaced the connector; but the lamp failed again after driving in a nasty Texas rainstorm. The dealer gets the car back for a "FREE" fix again.

All these "little" issues like the climate control LEDS, headlight motors, and the turn signal issue make me wonder if buying a Vette was a smart thing - as repairs are a bit outrageous in prices.
If you do a bit of searching you can usually save quite a bit of time and money by fixing the issues yourself. The headlight gears are made of plastic and are pretty easy/cheap to DIY even if you have little mechanical ability.

The turn signal bulb blowing could be a bad ground or exposed wire causing issues, but a savvy independent mechanic could easily check this for you.

I would not take my car to a dealer for anything but warranty repairs. Most of the technicians are like government employees who only know how to replace parts and are not capable of thinking through a problem. The capable dealer mechanics usually leave and start their own or join an independent shop for better pay/opportunities.

By the way, every car has issues it just depends on how you tackle them.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:21 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by blkblurvr4

All of these are easy fixes and the info is right here on the forum.

The DRLs are burning through the housings and water is getting inside. This is easily fixed by installing LEDS as they don't get near as hot. Take your DRL housings out and I bet they have a hole burned in them. Check out our clear corners and LEDS for replacements

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...-from-jwm.html

Brass gears would solve your gear issue more than likely http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...orialized.html

I'm guessing you had the dim display on the HVAC? There is a fix for that on the forum as well.

Use this forum to your advantage. It's free and most of these guys know the C5 in and out
The following users liked this post:
aerodan (10-26-2021)
Old 07-15-2010, 04:59 PM
blkblurvr4
Navigator

Default Headlight Issues

Guys,

I love the forums and the amazing help you get here. My dealer service guy is pretty reputable and been working at the same place for over 20 years. While I totally dislike Dealer Service, it's something I live with; as my schedule is full as it is and if the repairs like the headlight motors takes more than a couple of hours - then I really don't have that kind of time. Even if it does cost me a lot in the pocket for dealer services.

I don't know of too many independent shops - especially for Corvettes - here in the DFW Area (Arlington). That puts me at a disadvantage in that respect.

For my DRL - I'm pretty sure it's the connector or harness right there and since I was charged once already - I'm letting the dealer fix it again. I'd love to go to the clear ones - but not in the budget at this time.

I'm not dis'ing the Vette per se - although this is my first Chevrolet in over 35 years of driving. I owned a 1st Gen Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 and it had it's own set of issues which caused me to dump it. I also owned a Honda S2000 - with ZERO problems and almost if not as fun to drive as the Vette.

I'll have to spend some more time on the forum, especially when issues pop up. Know their is a thread for the Climate Control LED issue - but I can't take mine out and send it to the guy unless he sends one first - 100 degree days in Texas don't bode well with no A/C.

You guys are great and all the tips and fixes are appreciated. We all know how time consuming some can be and then to post them and pics to help those of us reading challenged - make it so much better.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 PM
c.athey
Navigator

I went to the dealer and they wanted $500 to replace my actuator ($392 for part and $135 labor). I bought a gear off eBay for $12.95 and with about 30 min labor and some epoxy glue for the cover fixed it.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Euro lights caused mine to fail early as well. Fixed it with brass gears.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:21 AM
sharadrao
8th Gear

[QUOTE=bmg;1574708133]If you do a bit of searching you can usually save quite a bit of time and money by fixing the issues yourself. The headlight gears are made of plastic and are pretty easy/cheap to DIY even if you have little mechanical ability.

The turn signal bulb blowing could be a bad ground or exposed wire causing issues, but a savvy independent mechanic could easily check this for you.

I would not take my car to a dealer for anything but warranty repairs. Most of the technicians are like government employees who only know how to replace parts and are not capable of thinking through a problem. The capable dealer mechanics usually leave and start their own or join an independent shop for better pay/opportunities.

By the way, every car has issues it just depends on how you tackle them.[/Q
Old 04-17-2011, 11:23 AM
sharadrao
8th Gear

I have the same headlight problem. I am very good in fixing things myself. Is there a cheap place to buy the actuator assembly? Can I just change the plastic gear? If so, who sales just the gear? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:49 AM
Razzputon
Pro

Originally Posted by sharadrao
I have the same headlight problem. I am very good in fixing things myself. Is there a cheap place to buy the actuator assembly? Can I just change the plastic gear? If so, who sales just the gear? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
get the brass gear http://www.rodneydickman.com/corvette.html
Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 AM
sharadrao
8th Gear

Thank you so much. I am ordering the kit. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 AM
sharadrao
8th Gear

Thank you so much. I am ordering the kit. I will let you know how it turns out.

Get notified of new replies

To [HOW TO] HEADLIGHT ACTUATOR REBUILD (PICS)

Old 04-18-2011, 10:39 PM
ryrob
Instructor

[QUOTE=gmblack3;1549423027]
If your headlight motor makes a grinding noise when turned on or turned off (this usually happens at the full open and full closed position) this is what you need to repair your headlight motor. If you do not repair or replace your headlight motor once this begins to happen - sooner or latter the headlight will not raise at all. If you have the factory alarm/remote door locks the headlights may act funny if you have a headlight motor that is in need of repair.

My right headlight is making this grinding noise after it closes, like mentioned above. My mechanic is talking about replacing the entire motor assembly. Should I check the gear inside the assembly before I let him do this? Everything I'm reading on this thread makes it sound like it's simply the gear failing inside the assembly, right? Thanks for any help offered!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

[QUOTE=ryrob;1577379488]
Originally Posted by gmblack3
Originally Posted by gmblack3

My right headlight is making this grinding noise after it closes, like mentioned above. My mechanic is talking about replacing the entire motor assembly. Should I check the gear inside the assembly before I let him do this? Everything I'm reading on this thread makes it sound like it's simply the gear failing inside the assembly, right? Thanks for any help offered!

Have your mechanic replace the ENTIRE MOTOR ASSY. After you have the job done,, give him my address and have him send me your old headlight motor. PM sent with address.

NO.......................... Replace the damn gear!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 AM
ryrob
Instructor

[QUOTE=Bill Curlee;1577379598]
Originally Posted by ryrob
[I]

Have your mechanic replace the ENTIRE MOTOR ASSY. After you have the job done,, give him my address and have him send me your old headlight motor. PM sent with address.

NO.......................... Replace the damn gear!

Haha that's what I like to hear! Thank you!

Quick Reply: [HOW TO] HEADLIGHT ACTUATOR REBUILD (PICS)