C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Way Too HIgh Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 12:29 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mapman
The manual says you DO have to change intake gaskets.

This is from the 2003 Service Manual page 6-83.

Under Removal of Intake Manifold
step 36. Remove the intake manifold gaskets. Discard the old gaskets.

later

Under Installation Procedure (first item)
IMPORTANT: DO NOT reuse the intake manifold gaskets. Install NEW intake manifold gaskets.

(The emphasis words are GM's)
Replacing the gasket does not seem unreasonable!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:20 AM
vetteman18361
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issues with high oil pressure readings

I had my oil pressure gauge max out after an oil change. I spent nearly $500 to have the dealer replace the oil pressure sensor. It worked for a while with lower then usual pressure. It used to run anywhere from 40 to 60 psi, but once replaced, it ran anywhere from 18 to 28 psi. The next thing I know (and this was within a month), the gauge is maxed out again. So I drove the car back to the dealer to find out what was going on. I was told that the sensor must be replaced again because of a possible defect. The dealer had a similiar problem with a Tahoe recently and they were sure it may be my problem. I left my car there for the day. I received a call the following day from the dealer and I was told that it must be something electrical, and for another $200 They can run a check on it. I was upset with them to say the least, so I picked up my car without paying them another $200. I feel that I wasted $500 for nothing, so why should I pay them anymore money? Shouldn't the dealer fix it right if the car wasn't fixed correctly the first time? And being a Chevy dealer, don't you think that they should have checked the codes or anything else along those lines?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman18361
I had my oil pressure gauge max out after an oil change. I spent nearly $500 to have the dealer replace the oil pressure sensor. It worked for a while with lower then usual pressure. It used to run anywhere from 40 to 60 psi, but once replaced, it ran anywhere from 18 to 28 psi. The next thing I know (and this was within a month), the gauge is maxed out again. So I drove the car back to the dealer to find out what was going on. I was told that the sensor must be replaced again because of a possible defect. The dealer had a similiar problem with a Tahoe recently and they were sure it may be my problem. I left my car there for the day. I received a call the following day from the dealer and I was told that it must be something electrical, and for another $200 They can run a check on it. I was upset with them to say the least, so I picked up my car without paying them another $200. I feel that I wasted $500 for nothing, so why should I pay them anymore money? Shouldn't the dealer fix it right if the car wasn't fixed correctly the first time? And being a Chevy dealer, don't you think that they should have checked the codes or anything else along those lines?
Most likely the cheap sending unit they used went bad, as they usually do, and they were trying to rip you off even more than they already had. I changed my own unit out for $44, and can do so again in 10 minutes or less. When you change it out again make sure to use the brass version from O'Reilly's. It's a much better unit and has a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

What's with the 8 year old post?
The following users liked this post:
Doctor7474 (12-25-2022)
Old 05-29-2012, 12:58 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron C!
What's with the 8 year old post?
Really!
Old 05-29-2012, 03:20 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I hate reading halfway through a thread until I realize its several years old... seriously
Old 04-01-2014, 12:46 AM
paloalto00
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to bump up an old post, but I believe my sender unit just went kapoot. Anyone know of a good detailed guide on how I can replace it myself? I don't have many tools, and don't have the ***** to take out the intake manifold
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM
joe1967ls
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

search C5 oil sender on you tube, there are a couple of vids on how to replace the sender with out removing the intake. Thats what I used when I changed mine last month

Quick Reply: Way Too HIgh Oil Pressure