C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Drain Tube

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 09:17 PM
spdnman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Drain Tube

My wife noticed it was dripping water in the passenger side footwell during a long trip. It was very hot outside and the A/C was on for hours. Since this has happened I have been watching for water inside and it has not happened so far. I do not want to fry the electronics. I did notice that after I used the A/C and parked the car water was dripping underneath the car. I do believe that this is normal. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Anything to check?

Thanks for the replies.
Adam
Old 08-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it sounds like you have partial blockage. You need to pull the tube and make sure that it is clean, then verify the actual plastic housing is clean.

You risk mildew, damage to the blower motor, and damage to the PCM.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Terry Corp
Drifting

NW Events Coordinator

Jeffvette is absolutely right. Your problem is a common one and can become a serious one. You may want to do a search on the Forum to find threads providing procedure for fixing the problem.

I had the problem a year ago and had a dealership fix it. The problem returned again a week ago and I'll be fixing (unplugging) the drain tube immediately.

Terry
Old 08-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

How big is this drain tube? Is it the larger, rubber looking tube? Sort of flimsy?
Old 08-05-2004, 08:01 AM
jojog
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is some info on this - good luck!

All C5's should have the A/c drain elbow removed and the bottom end snipped off before reinstallation - all of them!! These little rubber elbows are pre-engineered to clog as they were designed with an inadequate size hole on the end - actually a slit. It is not too bad of a job. From under the car locate the elbow - just to the passenger side of center about 1/3 way up the firewall. Locating it is the hardest part - you need a good light and patience! Make sure the car is cool and wiggle the elbow off, snip off the tip and replace the elbow letting it touch the cowling (adjacent wall). I think this helps direct the drain flow. You will find these little buggers to be clogged with a white goop that will cause backup and overflow right on top of your "electronic brain" - under the passenger kick panel. Do not delay as it will happen - just as sure as there are column lock and gas gauge problems! BTW - you can do the elbow trick from the top but I found that to be the harder of the two methods because of the wire bundle that hides the elbow. Either way - just do it!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Rattler71
Pro

The a/c tube is located behind the passenger side cylinder head. It is very hard to see. It is a rubber tube that sticks onto a nub out of the firewall then makes a 90 degree bend downward. There are 3 other rubber tubes located behind the drivers side front tire. Remove the plastic panel in the wheelwell(lower one)to gain access. Once you remove the panel look up and you will see them. I just stuck my finger in them and pulled out the gunk.

Scott
Old 08-05-2004, 10:42 AM
vettatude
Racer

We should make a sticky thread about this at the start of every summer.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Terry Corp
Drifting

NW Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by vettatude
We should make a sticky thread about this at the start of every summer.
Great suggestion, vettatude....

I'm going to contact administration to see if a special section can be created to advise members of what we have learned are manditory and necessary inspections and "fix-it's".

The column lock, AC drain, fuel tank gauge, and several other problems all seem to be a surprise to many new members and recent C5 owners.

Perhaps an area that keeps track of the number of complaints from our membership addressing common problems, with a corresponding link to a repair procedure would be a huge benefit.

Replies like jojog's and Rattler71's are great examples of what everyone needs to see to help us correct potentially serious problems, but their advice disapears much to soon....and can only be found by doing a thread search.

Terry
Old 08-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have pictures of the 90 degree drain line fitting and a shot of where it is if you view it from the top (engine compartment) and the windshield cowl drain tubes.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

The drain tubes highlighted by flashlight in fenderwell area.

There IS a forth drain hose for the Cowl drain. It is on the passengers side too.

As for the fourth UTTER, It is a L O N G black hose and you will need to pull the passengers wheel well access off to see it. It is all the way in the back against the fire wall and it is behind some of the wiring harnesses. You can take out the battery and see the tube! It is a little bit bigger in diameter than the other utters. You can NOT service it from the battery well area. All you can do us see it. You will end up finding it in the wheel well access area easier if you find it in the battery area first and have some one wiggle / move it.

I have yet to find any trash in that one but I continue to check it.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions.

bill327@msn.com

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 08-09-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:46 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Rattler71
The a/c tube is located behind the passenger side cylinder head. It is very hard to see. It is a rubber tube that sticks onto a nub out of the firewall then makes a 90 degree bend downward. There are 3 other rubber tubes located behind the drivers side front tire. Remove the plastic panel in the wheelwell(lower one)to gain access. Once you remove the panel look up and you will see them. I just stuck my finger in them and pulled out the gunk.

Scott
Just a little tip here Scott; no need to remove the access panel behind the L/F wheelwell. I have been able to easily gain access to the rubber tubes (all three of them) from the top. Just reach down and back between the power brake booster and the edge of the fender and you can easliy feel them. By squeezing each tube near the end it will open up the slit and let leaves and any other debris out. For you MN6 guys like myself, you'll be reaching down between your clutch master cylinder reservoir and the inside edge of your fender. A little less room but still able to do the job easily. There is another one of these on the passenger side but you will have to remove the access panel behind the R/F wheel to get access to it. I think there are about 8 or 10 7mm screws that must be removed. The tube is above and behind the ECM. Can't miss it once the access panel is removed. HTH

Robert
Old 08-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Rattler71
Pro

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Just a little tip here Scott; no need to remove the access panel behind the L/F wheelwell. I have been able to easily gain access to the rubber tubes (all three of them) from the top. Just reach down and back between the power brake booster and the edge of the fender and you can easliy feel them. By squeezing each tube near the end it will open up the slit and let leaves and any other debris out. For you MN6 guys like myself, you'll be reaching down between your clutch master cylinder reservoir and the inside edge of your fender. A little less room but still able to do the job easily. There is another one of these on the passenger side but you will have to remove the access panel behind the R/F wheel to get access to it. I think there are about 8 or 10 7mm screws that must be removed. The tube is above and behind the ECM. Can't miss it once the access panel is removed. HTH

Robert
Thanks LonestarFRC, didn't know about the one behind the passenger tire. Will check it as soon as I get home next week.

Scott
Old 08-06-2004, 02:18 AM
Terry Corp
Drifting

NW Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I have pictures of the 90 degree drain line fitting and a shot of where it is if you view it from the top (engine compartment) and the windshield cowl drain tubes. If you would like them please e-mail me @ bill327@msn.com
Bill,

If you have digital photos of the tubes and can do a step by step photo article on how this problem is fixed, many Forum members would be indebted to you.

You could have them posted in the "Tech Tips" section by contacting Bigtoe@corvetteforum.com This would be an article we could refer members to for direction and advice. You would help a lot of people repair a potentially serious problem without going to a dealer.

If you aren't interested, perhaps another knowledgable person can step up to do a "Tech Tip". Thanks!!

Terry
Old 08-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Terry Corp
Drifting

NW Events Coordinator

Bill,

I received your photos by e-mail....thanks!! As you mentioned, I'm sure you were swamped with requests....

We look forward to your "Tech Tips" article for a remedy. Thanks in advance for stepping up to do it.

Please make a post when the info is availabe on the Forum so we can advise people to check it out.......

Thanks!!

Terry
Old 08-07-2004, 10:01 AM
C5 Frederik
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the a/c drain tube? Found it behind the battery:

Frederik
Old 08-07-2004, 11:29 AM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by C5 Frederik
Is this the a/c drain tube? Found it behind the battery:

Frederik
Nope,that is the drain tube for rain water that enters the wiper cowl
Old 08-07-2004, 11:59 AM
msuc5vette
Burning Brakes

For people with headers, is it normal to hear what sounds like water sizzle hitting the header after the car is parked when the AC has been on?

Is there where the tube is dumping the water? Right on the collector of the header?
Old 08-07-2004, 02:34 PM
C5 Frederik
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....and I thought I got it. OK back for search tomorrow.
Thanks for answering anyway. I had a feeling deep in my stomach like it was the wrong tube

Frederik

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Drain Tube

Old 08-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Rattler71
Pro

Originally Posted by C5 Frederik
....and I thought I got it. OK back for search tomorrow.
Thanks for answering anyway. I had a feeling deep in my stomach like it was the wrong tube

Frederik
The tube you want is only about 4 inched long with a 90 degree bend at the top where it slides onto the nub at the firewall. It is right behind the passenger side cylinder head. There is a possibility it may not even be there.

There are 3 other tubes like the one you have pictured on the drivers side that you should also check.

Scott
Old 08-07-2004, 07:06 PM
spdnman
Pro

Just cut 90 degree tube and cleaned 3 drain tubes on driver side. Is there really a 4th tube on the passenger side? Does the wheel well need to come out? Thanks, Adam
Old 08-07-2004, 07:12 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by spdnman
Just cut 90 degree tube and cleaned 3 drain tubes on driver side. Is there really a 4th tube on the passenger side? Does the wheel well need to come out? Thanks, Adam
Not the wheel well, just the small access panel at the rear of the wheel well. This makes it very easy to get to it.

Quick Reply: A/C Drain Tube