C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halltech Stinger Install problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 06:18 PM
SmokeyTirez
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Halltech Stinger Install problems...

Hey everyone

I did a search for this and found plenty of posts, but nothing that covers or solves the problem I am having.

First, the intake described in the instructions on Halltech's site seem a little different from the intake I have. Mainly, the hole for the AIR hose 90 deg coupler is on the bridge, and not the filter as described in those instructions.

Second, a couple posts I found here suggest that removing the rubber grommet from the 90 deg elbow will allow the elbow to fit into this hole, but this is not the case. Since both the elbow and the bridge are made of solid plastic neither will give enough for me to get the lip of the elbow into the hole on the bridge.

Do I need to drill out the hole on the bridge a little before this elbow will fit? Or do I simply have the wrong parts?

I also read in some posts that the Halltech kit supplies a new AIR hose adapter, but mine did not have this. Do I have an incomplete kit?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2004, 06:35 PM
SmokeyTirez
Pro

Now I'm doubly confused.

I figured that while I wait for a response I'd get the airfilter onto the MAF, which I have installed onto the Halltech airbridge.

Even this is proving to be difficult. First, I notice that the filter does indeed have a hole in it for the 90 deg elbow. So I have a hole in the air bridge AND in the filter? Am I supposed to plug one of them up so contaminated air doesn't get to the motor? No plug was provided so I'm baffled about this.

Second, The filter doesn't fit onto the MAF at all. There is an adapter coupler that would seem to make it fit, but I thought this coupler was to get the Halltech airbridge on the OEM throttle body. Am I supposed to use the OEM coupler to get the Halltech bridge onto the throttle body, and this other coupler to get the filter onto the air bridge?

Never has an airbox install been so difficult. And I've done a bunch!

I'm gonna wait to hear from you guys before I mess something up.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

It sure sounds like you were sent a 97-00 version of Stinger-R. My instructions in the Halltech website were written for 01-04 C5s, so you should not have an airbridge that has a hole in it. Furthermore, previous year C5s have smaller couplers and MAFs, so if I were you, I'd send that set back and get an 01-04 set.

I know this is a pain, but mistakes do happen.

Good luck.

Dave
Old 08-22-2004, 06:55 PM
SmokeyTirez
Pro

I just now found a thread describing what you suggest...that there are two versions. Then went to Halltech's site and confirmed it. Then I went to check my invoice to make sure I didn't make a mistake and it does say I ordered the 01-04 model. Looks like I gotta undo everything and get the return process started tomorrow. (sigh) Well, it happens I suppose.

At least now I know I'm not crazy.

Thanks Dave!
Old 08-22-2004, 06:59 PM
ne14vettefun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think you have wrong parts is your warhead filter doesn't have a hole for the 90 degree elbow and the air bridge should not have any holes for the elbow. The balck smooth coupler fit's over the throttle body and then you stwist the air brige on for a perfect fit you can't just push it on you have to turn it into place. The rubber gromet comes off the plastic elbow after you remove the elbow from the stock housing. I just installed this on my 04 a week ago and it tooks only 10 minutes once I figured out the twist and elbow. This should not be such an issue and I have never worked under the hood before. If you can post some pics of the filter and airbrige we can get a look at what your talking about cause the bridge shouldn't have a hole and the filter should????
Old 08-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

Believe me, Smokey, it'll be well worth the wait! My car is pumping out 377 HP at the crank with just the Stinger-R and Borla Stingers. The difference between the Stinger-R intake and the restrictive stock box (and even the Z06 box) is definitely noticable.

Old 08-22-2004, 07:16 PM
SmokeyTirez
Pro

Originally Posted by ne14vettefun
I would think you have wrong parts is your warhead filter doesn't have a hole for the 90 degree elbow and the air bridge should not have any holes for the elbow. The balck smooth coupler fit's over the throttle body and then you stwist the air brige on for a perfect fit you can't just push it on you have to turn it into place. The rubber gromet comes off the plastic elbow after you remove the elbow from the stock housing. I just installed this on my 04 a week ago and it tooks only 10 minutes once I figured out the twist and elbow. This should not be such an issue and I have never worked under the hood before. If you can post some pics of the filter and airbrige we can get a look at what your talking about cause the bridge shouldn't have a hole and the filter should????
Thanks for the input, but we got it figured out now. Halltech just sent the wrong model (pre 01). Since I have an 02, I don't have a MAT sensor going into the airbridge, which is what that other hole is meant for.

Live and learn!

Cheers,

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech Stinger Install problems...

Quick Reply: Halltech Stinger Install problems...