C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12.69@112 bone stock = True Believer

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HITMAN99
Can you please post the 60 ft. time for this run?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:50 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5pilot
Is the actual size of the coolant portion of the radiator reduced in Z51s? Coolant capacity remains at 12.6 qts in both Z51 and non-Z51. This leads me to believe coolant volume wasn't lowered, oil coolant was added. Just because they added oil cooling within the same radiator doesn't mean it will raise the coolant temp. Let's find out for sure what the coolant volume is for each radiator.

Let's take this to email or PM since we seem to be the only 2 people interested in C6 performance. Somehow the topic changed to Fords.
c5pilot, the oil cooler is very small, small enough to not really make a difference if it is 12.6 qts or 12.4-12.5qts. for the most part there will not be a raise in coolant temp, the point i am trying to get across is (see the highlight red part). z51 has the extra duty of cooling engine oil, that means extra heat been dump into the radiator, if the stat is open the whole time vs cycling from close to open to close to open....ect, the radiator isn't getting enough air flow to remove the heat and therefore not able to kept the coolant system at the stat rating. under this situation you will have a slight higher coolant temp. this is the best i can explain it. maybe someone can do a better job then i can.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:02 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Originally Posted by yell03
cbrf4i1 -

I punched in a NEW Z06s weight as 3330 with a 200# driver and 125 trap speed and got 507hp.

I then punched in my 2005 C6 automatics trap speed of 110.57 and a weight of 3400# with driver and only got 358hp.

I then did a C6 at 3400#s and a trap speed of 114 and got 393hp.

Chevy claims a 115 trap speed which brings that to 403hp, but VERY FEW people have trapped 115 in a STOCK C6.

Then again, there are alot of NEW Z06s trapping 122-123 and some at 126-127.

Just some info to think about.

Howard
howard, that link doesn't take into consideration for manual vs auto trans. assuming everything is the same, an auto will trap alittle lower then manual, due to more drive line loss. there are a few skill drivers that were able to trap a stock c6 in 115 miles range, darien and jshiller (i can't spell, sorry) comes to my mind. keep in mind these skill drivers need everything to be perfect to run these traps.

skill driver + good DA (sea level & good weather) + good track preparation + NO TIMING RETARD from coolant & iat, (please, i don't want to turn this into a TM debate) = 115mph

since i never get good DA due to elevation, i always corrected it to sea level just to get an idea. if you were to do that and use the correct trap on the horsepower link you will find your car is closer to 400hp then 358hp. here is the link if you want to correct it to sea level.

http://www.modulardepot.com/density.php
Old 10-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)

Originally Posted by cbrf4i1
c5pilot, the oil cooler is very small, small enough to not really make a difference if it is 12.6 qts or 12.4-12.5qts. for the most part there will not be a raise in coolant temp, the point i am trying to get across is (see the highlight red part). z51 has the extra duty of cooling engine oil, that means extra heat been dump into the radiator, if the stat is open the whole time vs cycling from close to open to close to open....ect, the radiator isn't getting enough air flow to remove the heat and therefore not able to kept the coolant system at the stat rating. under this situation you will have a slight higher coolant temp. this is the best i can explain it. maybe someone can do a better job then i can.
it is my understaning that the z51 transmission and oil coolers are seperate units, not incorporated or part of the regular cooling system (i.e. radiator).

it is my understanding the the tranny cooler uses a seperater smaller radiator just for the tranny.

you can add one or both to the base or f55 pretty easy.

transmission cooler $64.99
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1853
Old 10-01-2006, 07:08 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 509 Likes on 273 Posts

cbrf4i1 -

It's weird, GM usually runs & publishes slower times, but their trap speeds are decent.

Howard
Old 10-01-2006, 07:26 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zig
it is my understaning that the z51 transmission and oil coolers are seperate units, not incorporated or part of the regular cooling system (i.e. radiator).

it is my understanding the the tranny cooler uses a seperater smaller radiator just for the tranny.

you can add one or both to the base or f55 pretty easy.

transmission cooler $64.99
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1853
according to my 06 service manual pages 6-626 it is all inside the radiator. engine oil cooler - driver side, i even went out there to verified this, the only external / extra radiator out there is my power steering cooler.

Last edited by cbrf4i1; 10-01-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Zig
Safety Car

according to my 06 service manual pages 6-626 it is all inside the radiator. engine oil cooler - driver side, i even went out there to verified this, the only external / extra radiator out there is my power steering cooler.
ok, cool.. thanks..

how does the manual show the trans. and oil cooling system.

did they section off part of the radiator and pump the trans. and oil through the same core. are they using the same 'core' but pumping three different fluids through it ? antifreeze, trans. fluid, and engine oil ?

does the z51 use a larger 'core' radiator ? different part numbers, etc.

would a base or f55 owner be able to use a z51 radiator and plumb the additional lines themselves ?

sorry, didn't mean to get off on this topic. was interested in the 'stock' results reported.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:42 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

again 06 service manual, page 7-269 shows the trans oil cooling lines goes into the passager side radiator. on page 06-628 it has a section on "engine oil cooler replacement - auxiliary", in that section it show a separate oil cooler that i don't have in my z51. the only thing that i can think off on this section is, it is a dealer add on.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:46 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zig
ok, cool.. thanks..

how does the manual show the trans. and oil cooling system.

did they section off part of the radiator and pump the trans. and oil through the same core. are they using the same 'core' but pumping three different fluids through it ? antifreeze, trans. fluid, and engine oil ?

does the z51 use a larger 'core' radiator ? different part numbers, etc.

would a base or f55 owner be able to use a z51 radiator and plumb the additional lines themselves ?

sorry, didn't mean to get off on this topic. was interested in the 'stock' results reported.
driver side core house engine oil cooler, passager side core house trans oil cooler, atleast on my car / none dealer add on. i don't know if z51 has larger core or not, or different part #. maybe someone know for sure can help us out. i would assume if the fittings are there on the radiator and a f55 owner wants to put the cooling lines, sure why not

Last edited by cbrf4i1; 10-01-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:01 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig

I believe thats incorrect. The transmission cooler, at least in '05s is also used in all automatics, Z51 or not, and is in the radiator.

Only the base/F55 manuals did not get the transmission cooler.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-01-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:02 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

That is correct and why I get a chuckle out of the "coolers add extra weight" statements sometimes heard here.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:34 PM
HOFFIE
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mvcrash
Nice run. Sounds great to me as I have the same A6. Oh, please do not answer the suspension question or this thread will turn to crap.

It was the color matched handles that reduced drag to get those numbers!!!
If you had Z51 badges on it,you would have run a 12.4: lol:
Old 10-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
I believe thats incorrect. The transmission cooler, at least in '05s is also used in all automatics, Z51 or not, and is in the radiator.

Only the base/F55 manuals did not get the transmission cooler.
thanks...

good to know....

learn something new everyday.

i didn't know that all automatics got the coolers. and that only the manual z51 got it stock.

i wonder how hard it would be to 'retrofit' to an mn6 f55.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
That is ... why I get a chuckle out of the "coolers add extra weight" statements sometimes heard here.

tranny coolers are gonna help keep the 'shifts' crisp and consistent.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:07 AM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zig
i didn't know that all automatics got the coolers.
actually i don't know any vehicle with an auto trans that doesn't have a cooler.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:13 AM
jayelleseven
Racer

Originally Posted by silverlx
This post is for all those who don't believe these cars will run hard.
Earlier this July I made one pass at New England Dragway, a disappointing 13.41@107. My car is a 06 A6 1LT, the only option being the Comp Grey's. It was hot and muggy and the car was at full operating temp.

Tonight, I let the car cool down for an hour+, outside temp was mid 50's. Spun the tires just enough to clean em off, left at idle with no footbraking, car dead hooked all thru 1st, trans left to shift itself in 'S' mode and TC/AH off.

Nothing has been done to this car except an oil change, a Z06 spoiler and color matched door handles.

this is a Grand reason why the Vette appeals so much to me....
Old 10-02-2006, 06:22 AM
Zig
Safety Car

actually i don't know any vehicle with an auto trans that doesn't have a cooler.

agreed, that's why i was under the impression that the z51, automatics, had 'additional' coolers, not just the 'standard' method, via the radiator.

Quick Reply: 12.69@112 bone stock = True Believer