C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why your stock C6 is slow...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:25 PM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Pilot
I don't own a C6, but anytime you have a car that can do about 170 mph it isn't slow!!!!!
make that 178
Old 02-03-2007, 11:36 PM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

Originally Posted by CHASLS2
You can alwaya slap a blower on it.

forget the blower, just get a "stick on hood scoop"
Old 02-03-2007, 11:52 PM
jklarkpimp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by D. Togo

damn that looks good maybe i should install it again lol
Old 02-04-2007, 12:40 AM
jjohn918
Drifting

The original intent of this thread was to visually show the average "Joe" how the stock manifold and cat are much more restrictive and power limiting compared to aftermarket headers.

It amazes me how quickly people lose the intent of threads here on the forum. We start arguing over what's the meaning of "slow" and who makes the best headers etc. It's crazy.

There, now I've hijacked my own thread!
Old 02-04-2007, 12:54 AM
chip4
Racer

Originally Posted by jjohn918
The original intent of this thread was to visually show the average "Joe" how the stock manifold and cat are much more restrictive and power limiting compared to aftermarket headers.

It amazes me how quickly people lose the intent of threads here on the forum. We start arguing over what's the meaning of "slow" and who makes the best headers etc. It's crazy.

Most people are only responding to the title of your thread
in essence you did call everyone with a stock C6 "slow" -you are going to get a response, dont tell me you dint see that coming... How would you respond to a thread title that says: Why your headers are bad for the environment...

Last edited by chip4; 02-04-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:58 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Deep Blue
Are they 50 state legal?
Are you joking? Any change in the position of the catalytic convertor is a violation of the EPA guidelines for the exhaust emissions protocol. They aren't one state legal. Off road use ONLY.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:20 AM
jjohn918
Drifting

Originally Posted by chip4
Most people are only responding to the title of your thread
in essence you did call everyone with a stock C6 "slow" -you are going to get a response, dont tell me you dint see that coming... How would you respond to a thread title that says: Why your headers are bad for the enviroment...
Shame on me for thinking that people would actually open the thread and read the first post (which by the way usually gives the true story about what is planned on being talked about).

Seconldy, if you've spent much very much time on internet forums, you realize that if you want people to look at your thread, you have to have an interesting title line. With the words "your", "C6", and "slow" all in the same line, I accomplished that very thing.

Current view count 2,640+
Old 02-04-2007, 02:12 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Evilways
Thats why you don't take them on frozen lakes......
Well I'll be .............. I didn't know they had frozen lakes in Port Richey, FL
Old 02-04-2007, 07:45 AM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

Shame on me for thinking that people would actually open the thread and read the first post (which by the way usually gives the true story about what is planned on being talked about).

Seconldy, if you've spent much very much time on internet forums, you realize that if you want people to look at your thread, you have to have an interesting title line. With the words "your", "C6", and "slow" all in the same line, I accomplished that very thing.

Current view count 2,640+
The word SLOW sure suckerd me in! Maybe one mans slow is another mans fast.

I'm going to the dyno next weekend and get some numbers!

Chas
Old 02-04-2007, 10:03 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Fine. I think everyone understands (including GM) that the stock setup will not flow like a set of headers. What should be talked about is the street legality of these headers. Will they pass an emisions test (yearly here in NC)? If not, than what was the "intent" of this post other than to tell us that you can put something on your car (in S.C.) that we can't in N.C.

Jimmy
Old 02-04-2007, 10:06 AM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01VETTECOP
My stock C6 isn't slow
Ditto...
Old 02-04-2007, 10:24 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vette_Pilot
I don't own a C6, but anytime you have a car that can do about 170 mph it isn't slow!!!!!
I believe the base C6 can do 186 mph.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:27 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Deep Blue
Are they 50 state legal?
Zero state legal. Off road use only. That's because they require the cats to be relocated, and that's against federal law. Relocating the cats further from the engine means the gases have a chance to cool before reaching the cats, reducing cat efficiency and delaying cat light off.

Besides, most people doing headers either don't run cats at all, or run unapproved 2 stage cats which also don't perform to federal specifications (OEM cats are 3 stage). That's against the law for highway driven vehicles too.

Then to top it off, many of those same scofflaws fit aftermarket mufflers that don't conform to the 95 dBA federal standard. That's illegal too.

The question you should be asking is not if these modifications are illegal on a street driven car, they are, but what is the likelyhood of getting caught. That does vary by state as some states do a better job of policing these illegal activities than others.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 AM
CHUCKSTANG
Instructor

Up here in MA, I have never had a visual test done to pass emissions.
My Cobra Mustang right now has a high flow x pipe with cats but I believe they are not in the stock location exactly but I pass every time and do not even use the same shop.

Is it safe to say that if your state does not do a visual test, just a sniffer, could one pass with long tube headers?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:43 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CHUCKSTANG
Up here in MA, I have never had a visual test done to pass emissions.
My Cobra Mustang right now has a high flow x pipe with cats but I believe they are not in the stock location exactly but I pass every time and do not even use the same shop.

Is it safe to say that if your state does not do a visual test, just a sniffer, could one pass with long tube headers?
If you can drive directly into the testing bay with a thoroughly warmed up engine, probably. The biggest problem with long tubes is that the cats don't light off quickly. So if your car has time to cool down before testing, it may fail.

The big advantage of locating the cats near the engine is that they light off quickly, usually within 10 seconds of startup. With the long tubes, and the inefficient 2 way "high flow" cats, the engine may have to run for 10 minutes or longer before the cats start doing their job. That's why this sort of setup is illegal, the car will have excessive emissions in the sort of short trip driving that so many cars see.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:57 AM
donsar
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock C6 is more than fast enough. If I were using it on the track, it might be a different story. Where else can you travel in the US to require more speed than the stock C6 will give you?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:10 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by D. Togo
Old 02-04-2007, 12:33 PM
hbvette07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vasta
But since your car is new you have seven years before you actually have to have it inspected by the smog police.

Something to think about.

Quick Reply: Why your stock C6 is slow...