C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steep Driveway - Bottom Scrapes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:51 PM
KevNJ
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steep Driveway - Bottom Scrapes

My dad has a steap driveway and when he pulls in and out the "shroud" scrapes on a 06 coupe. Not sure exactly what its called so shroud might not be the best word. Not the front fascia but the black peice below that.

Any help on how to stop it this, what part and where to get it ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Hebstar11
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a kind of steep driveway too. Back out at as much of an angle as you can. I don't know the width of your driveway, but another trick, when backing out (at an angle), one front tire will exit the driveway first. Before the other front tire reaches the street, go forward and turn in the direction you plan to travel on the street, letting the front tire hit the street going forward. That trick has saved me from scraping my "shroud" (or whatever you call it ). I hope my instructions were clear. It's kind of difficult to explain in a post, but it works for me. I wish I had learned the trick sooner.

As for going up the driveway, all I can say is take as large of an angle as possible and take it slow.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 PM
jjohn918
Drifting

It's your air dam. It directs air up to the radiator. You can get a replacement from the dealer or from www.gmpartshouse.com. For your C6, it is one of the least expensive replacement parts you can find. It is designed to scrape. He might try pulling into the driveway at an angle. This might help.

Josh
Old 03-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by jjohn918
It's your air dam. It directs air up to the radiator. You can get a replacement from the dealer or from www.gmpartshouse.com. For your C6, it is one of the least expensive replacement parts you can find. It is designed to scrape. He might try pulling into the driveway at an angle. This might help.

Josh
Old 03-16-2007, 10:04 PM
KenC6
Burning Brakes

I have the same issue with my driveway. Totally agree, backing out, get one front tire out at a time. Also, if you have a passenger, let them get in the car after you have backed out. This might take some training with the wife.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:05 PM
KevNJ
2nd Gear

Yea tried to pulling in and out on an angle. Its better then backing out and driving right in. I just went in the garage and checked it. But if its supposed to and since its so cheap Ill tell him to deal with it. and its only on the edges anyways. He's had it since august and it only have 1600 miles on it so far. I told him to drive it more and he wont have that problem. Thanks guys!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Rick_B
4th Gear

I seem to remember a manf. that offers wheels you can weld under the deflector to act like a skateboard when you encounter a steep angle. Anybodyelse know what I'm talking about??
Old 03-16-2007, 10:16 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick_B
I seem to remember a manf. that offers wheels you can weld under the deflector to act like a skateboard when you encounter a steep angle. Anybodyelse know what I'm talking about??
Yes and mostly folks here do not recommend them. They attach to the radiator supports which are not made for the stress. Outside of the annoying sound, scraping the air-dam is no big deal.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:21 PM
bbroach
Heel & Toe

Caster will raise the front of the car if you set up so that you turn the steering wheel to near full lock as you cross the low clearance point. This will prevent a lot of the contact to the air dam entering driveways, ramps, etc.

regards, billb....
Old 03-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

GM calls it a "valance." It is only 3" off the ground and is designed to be scraped. The 3 pieces are soft plastic and only cost about $15 each to replace if the get torn up bad. I have a very gentle slope driveway and mine still scrapes every day when I back out. Just go slow and don't worry about it.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Daniel Redfoot
Racer

This is true- It is actually mentioned in the manual - it says it will scrape and don't be alarmed by it
Old 03-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Daneil Redfoot
This is true- It is actually mentioned in the manual - it says it will scrape and don't be alarmed by it

Any method you decide on and going very slow.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:25 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Mine scrapes backing out of my driveway, pulling in and out of some parking lots, and even sometimes on a dip in a road. Its normal.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:40 AM
SteveTurner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JVM225
Mine scrapes backing out of my driveway, pulling in and out of some parking lots, and even sometimes on a dip in a road. Its normal.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:48 AM
shortski
Drifting

Lets see $30-40K to completely tear out, regrade and repave driveway or $35 replacement air dam, have the old man spring for the new driveway.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You gotten some good advice. If the situation warrants and if it's even possible, a paving contractor could likely build a concrete (or asphalt) cricket or cam-strip to alter the angle of the driveway just enough to avoid scraping.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Be advised tha the C6 has "trim height" (ride height) adjuster bolts at each wheel. You can easily and effectively raise the ride height of the car by say a half inch or more.

My car used to scrape the air dam on my driveway lip no matter how I approached it... even going very slow and going in on an angle. Though scraping the air dam is NOT a problem, the noise can become annoying after a while, plus a little embarassing too.

I adjusted my trim height bolts a bit, raised the car about a half inch, and now no more scrapes... at all... I can even fly straight into my driveway kinda fast, still no scrape. You'd be surprised at how much a difference a half inch can make. Car still looks and handles like it always did, no degradation there.

Pull each wheel, find the trim height bolt, take pressure off the spring end using a small jack, and then turn the bolt about 2 or 3 full turns clockwise... repeat for each wheel.

Note: you may need to have the car aligned after doing this - but if the car has'nt been aligned since new, it is a really good idea to have it aligned anyway.

Doing this may very well put an end to your driveway scrape issues, plus make the car more tolerant of road irregularities in general.

Get notified of new replies

To Steep Driveway - Bottom Scrapes

Old 03-17-2007, 11:00 AM
bonesbr549
Instructor

Originally Posted by KevNJ
My dad has a steap driveway and when he pulls in and out the "shroud" scrapes on a 06 coupe. Not sure exactly what its called so shroud might not be the best word. Not the front fascia but the black peice below that.

Any help on how to stop it this, what part and where to get it ?

Thanks in advance.
I use the backing out at as sharp an angle as possible, and going so slow, I'm almost sitting still here at my current home. I used to live in a neighborhood that had a real sharp angle where the curbs (for drainage) met the dirveways. My neighbor across the street had a piece of plate steel welded to a piece of two inch pipe (the widge of the driveway), and placed it in the gap wetween the road and driveway. It was about 10" wide and the edges had been angled to 45 degrees to soften the angle. It helped him get his sports car across. My caddy STS had a slight drag problem, but someone else suggested the sharp angle of exit and it worked. Take your time and be patient, it should stop (depending on how sharp the angle is). Anyway good luck.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:03 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

My air dam has scraped going in and out of my driveway everyday for two years and it still looks good. It's made to flex.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:03 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I live 200 yards up the side of a hill (really a small mountain). Its gravel, curvey with 3 90 degree turns on it. Drove my 98 Vert on it and now my 05 Z51 vert. As others said, try to get as good of a angel as you can, go real slow. Have had no problems except that noise its scarry, but no real damage occurs. Those parts are cheap and designed to wear,and can be replaced easy.

I never had to replace for the 98 and so far the 05 is holding up fine
Slow is your friend, and my wife can ride both up and down the driveway.

Last edited by 6spdC6; 03-17-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Steep Driveway - Bottom Scrapes