C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steep Driveway - Bottom Scrapes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:08 AM
BearCreekC6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used diamond plate.......

Old 03-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Fastronaut
CF Senior Member Emeritus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the "shroud" actually called a Front Bumper Upper Valance Panel?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...18&catalogid=2
Old 03-17-2007, 11:24 AM
jfishman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The scraping won't hurt; it'll give somewhat. It's actually a good heads up to use care. My driver's side does need replaced due to running up a bit too far on very high parking block . At the GM Parts Warehouse the valance panels are around $10 each and the front deflector is around $30.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:25 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastronaut
Isn't the "shroud" actually called a Front Bumper Upper Valance Panel?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...18&catalogid=2

No, I think it is PART 15 in this illustration "Front Deflector" $30.77
Old 03-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Browntailguy
Advanced

I actually just had a 16 foot piece of 1/4 inch steel about 18 wide installed at the end of my driveway. It has been anchored down by bolts so it won't slide, slip, or make noise. Makes going up the driveway very easy and doesn't hit the air dam.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:58 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KevNJ
My dad has a steap driveway and when he pulls in and out the "shroud" scrapes on a 06 coupe. Not sure exactly what its called so shroud might not be the best word. Not the front fascia but the black peice below that.

Any help on how to stop it this, what part and where to get it ?

Thanks in advance.
Go in at an angle or park it out in the street, get use to the scraping of the air dam. You only have five inches of clearance.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:12 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vet
Be advised tha the C6 has "trim height" (ride height) adjuster bolts at each wheel. You can easily and effectively raise the ride height of the car by say a half inch or more.

My car used to scrape the air dam on my driveway lip no matter how I approached it... even going very slow and going in on an angle. Though scraping the air dam is NOT a problem, the noise can become annoying after a while, plus a little embarassing too.

I adjusted my trim height bolts a bit, raised the car about a half inch, and now no more scrapes... at all... I can even fly straight into my driveway kinda fast, still no scrape. You'd be surprised at how much a difference a half inch can make. Car still looks and handles like it always did, no degradation there.

Pull each wheel, find the trim height bolt, take pressure off the spring end using a small jack, and then turn the bolt about 2 or 3 full turns clockwise... repeat for each wheel.

Note: you may need to have the car aligned after doing this - but if the car has'nt been aligned since new, it is a really good idea to have it aligned anyway.

Doing this may very well put an end to your driveway scrape issues, plus make the car more tolerant of road irregularities in general.
You are changing the areodynamics or the car and why would you do that for an scrape, that front end could lift at very high speeds, yes at speeds over the speed limits and Vette drivers did not buy this car not to go way over the speed limit once in awhile. GM knows what they are doing with this car and that is why it runs so well at "the ring", you know that world famous road race track in Germany where all the top sports car test. He is giving advice for Sunday afternoon drivers who never go over 55mph or the speed limit.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:43 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There has been some very good advice offered. The only other thing to add it to go SLOW!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Fastronaut
CF Senior Member Emeritus
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by willhaveC6
No, I think it is PART 15 in this illustration "Front Deflector" $30.77
You may be right willhaveC6. Here's a URL for the Non Z06 C6 Part 14:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...14&catalogid=2
Old 03-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,489 Likes on 800 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Mine scrapes as well. Short of rebuilding my driveway entrance, I'm stuck with it. Slow entry/exit helps considerably.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:59 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
Be advised tha the C6 has "trim height" (ride height) adjuster bolts at each wheel. You can easily and effectively raise the ride height of the car by say a half inch or more.

My car used to scrape the air dam on my driveway lip no matter how I approached it... even going very slow and going in on an angle. Though scraping the air dam is NOT a problem, the noise can become annoying after a while, plus a little embarassing too.

I adjusted my trim height bolts a bit, raised the car about a half inch, and now no more scrapes... at all... I can even fly straight into my driveway kinda fast, still no scrape. You'd be surprised at how much a difference a half inch can make. Car still looks and handles like it always did, no degradation there.

Pull each wheel, find the trim height bolt, take pressure off the spring end using a small jack, and then turn the bolt about 2 or 3 full turns clockwise... repeat for each wheel.

Note: you may need to have the car aligned after doing this - but if the car has'nt been aligned since new, it is a really good idea to have it aligned anyway.

Doing this may very well put an end to your driveway scrape issues, plus make the car more tolerant of road irregularities in general.
After breaking two sets of radiator supports, I raised mine a full inch front and rear. Now the car doesn't scrape when going in and out of driveways, over speed bumps, or at crowned road intersections, even when driven in a "spirited" manner. If it had been just the air dam scraping, I'd either have ignored it, or removed it, but the problem was the lower valance and the radiator supports hitting. That's serious, and needed to be fixed.

As they come from the factory, these cars sit too low for the real world. With respect to aerodynamics, as long as you don't change the rake angle of the car (ie raise it equally at both ends) there is no issue, at least up to speeds of 145 MPH (I haven't driven it faster than that). You can feel the car settle as the wind against the body rake pushes it down at increasing speeds. Now an 8 inch lift kit would probably not work so well. Then you'd start getting enough air under the car to upset it at speed (not to mention raising the CG enough to hurt it in turns), but an inch works just fine in the real world on real world roads.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
...As they come from the factory, these cars sit too low for the real world. With respect to aerodynamics, as long as you don't change the rake angle of the car (ie raise it equally at both ends) there is no issue, at least up to speeds of 145 MPH... but an inch works just fine in the real world on real world roads.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:56 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

After breaking two sets of radiator supports, I raised mine a full inch front and rear. Now the car doesn't scrape when going in and out of driveways, over speed bumps, or at crowned road intersections, even when driven in a "spirited" manner. If it had been just the air dam scraping, I'd either have ignored it, or removed it, but the problem was the lower valance and the radiator supports hitting. That's serious, and needed to be fixed.

As they come from the factory, these cars sit too low for the real world. With respect to aerodynamics, as long as you don't change the rake angle of the car (ie raise it equally at both ends) there is no issue, at least up to speeds of 145 MPH (I haven't driven it faster than that). You can feel the car settle as the wind against the body rake pushes it down at increasing speeds. Now an 8 inch lift kit would probably not work so well. Then you'd start getting enough air under the car to upset it at speed (not to mention raising the CG enough to hurt it in turns), but an inch works just fine in the real world on real world roads.
as long as you stay in the real world, not the race world!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:06 PM
gmgregg
Instructor

hydraulics and speakers with a lot of base
Old 03-18-2007, 04:42 PM
BearCreekC6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gmgregg
hydraulics and speakers with a lot of base

Old 03-18-2007, 04:50 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
as long as you stay in the real world, not the race world!
Yep. If you have a purpose built race car, and a sponsor with deep pockets to repair the damage, getting the car as low as possible makes sense. But for those of us who drive on regular streets, and have to pay for repairs out of our own pockets, a more sensible ride height makes more sense.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Yep. If you have a purpose built race car, and a sponsor with deep pockets to repair the damage, getting the car as low as possible makes sense. But for those of us who drive on regular streets, and have to pay for repairs out of our own pockets, a more sensible ride height makes more sense.

How very true.

Get notified of new replies

To Steep Driveway - Bottom Scrapes

Old 04-12-2007, 12:45 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Ever give any thoughts to what raising your ride height has done to your suspension geometry???
Old 04-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Ever give any thoughts to what raising your ride height has done to your suspension geometry???
Yes, gave it a little thought, but in the real world, it means absolutely nothing... at least with under one inch of raise. After an alignment, the car performs flawlessly / perfectly, even with challenging road conditions, spirited road use and high speeds. The only real difference I can tell is that the car is less likely to bottom out on severe dips, etc.

I suppose I'd be more concerned about precision suspension geometry if the car was used on the track ONLY... but we're talking about high performance STREET use here. There is absolutely no problem whatsoever with raising the suspension say 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. It only helps keep you that much farther away from tearing up the underside of the car.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

I have the same problem and mine isn't that steep. I just have a slightly higher lip on my apron.
It sounds terrible but isn't really doing any serious damage.

Quick Reply: Steep Driveway - Bottom Scrapes