C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Borla Exhaust Installation ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:55 PM
C6VETTEWIFE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Borla Exhaust Installation ???

My husband and I just finished watching the Eckler's installation video for a Borla Sport Exhaust. We are about to purchase one without the X pipe (rear section only) for our 07 6-speed manual. The video looks pretty straight forward, and we were thinking about installing it ourselves since he's good with his hands. Has anyone personally installed one using a jack and jack stands? We don't have access to a lift, so is it possible to install it just by lifting the back end up ? Any advice, tips or tricks are welcome and greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Jon_R
Advanced

Installed a GHL system last week using floor jacks and man was it a pain, but possible. Straight forward installation but the old pipes just don't slide apart as they do on the video. Be prepared for a sore backside for several days.

If I had to do it again I would take it to someone with a lift and pay the few dollars and save the back.

John
Old 06-20-2007, 06:19 PM
watevrpal
Racer

I just installed kooks headers,x pipe and corsa sport exhaust in my garage on jacks. so it is very possible and the only thing to take into consideration is the pipe allignment overthe rear axle. make sure that the pipe is aligned properly and not touchin theframe or rear end. good luck
Old 06-20-2007, 06:34 PM
zare191
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C6VETTEWIFE
My husband and I just finished watching the Eckler's installation video for a Borla Sport Exhaust. We are about to purchase one without the X pipe (rear section only) for our 07 6-speed manual. The video looks pretty straight forward, and we were thinking about installing it ourselves since he's good with his hands. Has anyone personally installed one using a jack and jack stands? We don't have access to a lift, so is it possible to install it just by lifting the back end up ? Any advice, tips or tricks are welcome and greatly appreciated.
I installed the Borla on my '07 mn6 using only ramps in the rear. A very straight forward install as I'm sure the video shows. Be sure to pre-fit the pipes together while out on the garage floor so you know everything fits together. Also, take the 4 rubber hangers off the car and install on the Borla while its out of the car. I found that much easier. Good Luck!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:51 PM
C6VETTEWIFE
Instructor

Originally Posted by zare191
I installed the Borla on my '07 mn6 using only ramps in the rear. A very straight forward install as I'm sure the video shows. Be sure to pre-fit the pipes together while out on the garage floor so you know everything fits together. Also, take the 4 rubber hangers off the car and install on the Borla while its out of the car. I found that much easier. Good Luck!
Thank you.. Sent you a PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:27 PM
BaBa Booey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6VETTEWIFE
We don't have access to a lift, so is it possible to install it just by lifting the back end up ?
I found that if you only lift the rear of the car, getting to the bolts on the front of the H-pipe can be a PIA. You need to be very skinny to get in far enough to undo those bolts.
In the end I went to a muffler shop and paid $60 for the complete install and it only took 20 minutes.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:35 PM
BigJag
Pro

Originally Posted by BaBa Booey
I found that if you only lift the rear of the car, getting to the bolts on the front of the H-pipe can be a PIA. You need to be very skinny to get in far enough to undo those bolts.
In the end I went to a muffler shop and paid $60 for the complete install and it only took 20 minutes.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:43 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 92 Posts

Just did my Borla stinger last week. Used ramps on the rear and jacked the leftside up just a few inches to get to the front area to unbolt the pipes. took me about an hour for the whole install. It was a little of a pain, but doing it myself gives me pride and knowledge that it was done right and didn't have to worry about someone else damaging my car.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:23 PM
snappy28
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I did mine at a near by Air Force base auto hobby shop that has lifts. It took me about an hour. The main thing is you will need room underneath to lower the mufflers/pipes from over the rear axle and like wise when you put in the new pipes. They kind of hook over the axle.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:37 AM
072LTC6Z51
Racer

I was thinking about that exact set up. Let us know what you think of the Borla.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Borla Exhaust Installation ???

Quick Reply: DIY Borla Exhaust Installation ???