C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped off lug bolt from rotor do I need to replace rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:11 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
As you can see the studs can be pressed out>>
Frnt view

Michael
Michael,

What did you do to your hub so that it isn't rusted? Mine are all rusted out.

Thanks,

Cedric
Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,218 Likes on 829 Posts

Something very wrong here....either the rims aren't right or the lug nuts aren't. Do not drive that car hard before you solve that problem. It isn't rust or over tightening...it something else..potentially very dangerous.

good luck and be careful.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:48 AM
luv2getaway
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would certainly replace all the studs since the one that broke was most likely overtorqued and stretched. The others were probably overtorqued as well and to be on the safe side and for your own piece of mind, replace all the studs.
Chris
Old 01-20-2010, 01:42 AM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BRIANSC6
Gents as an update to my initial post it has gotten worse. As of today I have broken off one stud from each of the four wheels.

After inspecting the cracked off stud there was significant rust so they had been cracked for a while before coming off. The last three the were still attacked to the car but just hanging on by a bit and came off when I was cleaning my rims and I noticed some wobble and when I went to tighten low and behold they broke rite off.

My dealer is miffed as to why they are breaking, I do have aftermarket rims and of course they are at the top of the list as far as cluprits go. I don't want to mention names but you can buy more expensive rims than these but I guess there is always a chance that they are an issue. When I called them they mentioned a retaining ring that is a friction fit over the base of the studs left in place after assembly but not required can cause an uneven seating of the rim. I have now ensured that this retaining ring si gone from all the wheel assembelies and I guess we will see what happens next.

If I break another I will be forced to switch back to my factory rims to see if it continues so that we can confirm it is a GM issue or not which I doubt as the odds of it being a chronic issue with GM studs is not that feasable. If I lived closer to to where the rims are manufactured I would ship one back for thier inspection but I don't so I am not at that point yet.
Another reason to avoid using aftermarket rims. Just my 2 cents. I recommend that you engage a micrometer to measure the exact bolt pattern. Some shops sell wheels with a 120 mm pattern; others sell a 4.75 inch pattern. They describe them both as 120 mm when one of them is 120.65 mm. These same businesses will tell you that other GM rims are the same as Chrysler rims. GM uses 115 mm on many vehicles; Chrysler uses 114.3.

Some shops will tell you that Trans Am rims will work on a BMW. Same kind of error-- 120.6 mm vs 120 mm.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

What's the deal with years old threads coming back to life?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,588 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman7

I would also want to find out why the stud sheared off, most likely over tightened but could be something else too.

Quick Reply: Snapped off lug bolt from rotor do I need to replace rotor?